LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Is this not all about “growing the game” and bringing a new audience to the game ?

And just because it’s not on a subscription channel doesn’t mean it’s suddenly hugely accessible to people - there are still many people out there that don’t have tellys that connect to you tube , don’t have broadband at a level that makes streaming work , don’t want to sit in front of a PC watching something

You tube has a daily watchtime of 1 BILLION hours.

I think that shows how accesible it is.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I’m very unsure of the business model here.
Throwing zillions of $ around attracting players in needs to be turned into a huge positive cash flow, otherwise it is unsustainable, even with the riches of the Saudi’s.

Revenue comes from
1 bums on seats
2 merchandising
3 advertising
4 TV revenue including internet, YouTube etc

I’m not seeing anywhere near enough money being generated to make it work.

Just me with my old Bank Manager hat on ?
This is the biggest misconception I am seeing about all of this.

The Saudis are not doing this to make money from golf. They are involved so that they can use golf as a tool to slowly improve their pretty awful reputation in the Western World. They know that when oil is finished (less than 50 years), they're in big trouble unless they can make money in other ways, eg tourism, banking, etc.

They're going to continue chucking money at this project in the hope that they can take over pro golf, and then they will just slowly pump the messages out about how great Saudi Arabia is. It's already written in the LIV player's contracts that they have to do a certain amount of 'community work' around the events, but no one us quite sure what this means...

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Simple, 1000 subscribers, 4000 hrs watchtime on the channel, and it's monetised by You Tube.

I think this is the difference between golfers of a certain age and for the target audience. If it's not on sky then how can it be popular. It'll be on tiktok etc soon.

I'd guess 1000 subscribers is also a massive understatement too. More viewers, more money.

(This is purely a comment on the above and nothing to do with if I think it's right or not)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I think this is the difference between golfers of a certain age and for the target audience. If it's not on sky then how can it be popular. It'll be on tiktok etc soon.

I'd guess 1000 subscribers is also a massive understatement too. More viewers, more money.

(This is purely a comment on the above and nothing to do with if I think it's right or not)

Yeah, people mentioning not having You Tube on their TV's, the majority of people who watch it won't be watching on a TV.

You Tube is absolutely massive now.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, people mentioning not having You Tube on their TV's, the majority of people who watch it won't be watching on a TV.

You Tube is absolutely massive now.

As a parent you learn things from your kids. My lad started a tiktok page putting together 10 second clips of his favourite gamer. Releases them and gets between 750k-1.2m views and earns himself £90 a month. Times that by X amount from a professional social media team and it starts to add up plus the revenue from other outlets.

It's all phone watching now. Not TVs or laptops etc.

Swango1980

Visit site
As a parent you learn things from your kids. My lad started a tiktok page putting together 10 second clips of his favourite gamer. Releases them and gets between 750k-1.2m views and earns himself £90 a month. Times that by X amount from a professional social media team and it starts to add up plus the revenue from other outlets.

It's all phone watching now. Not TVs or laptops etc.
Beats sending him up a chimney :)

D

Deleted member 15344

You tube has a daily watchtime of 1 BILLION hours.

I think that shows how accesible it is.

But what are those hours ?

Little snippets - interviews etc

How many sit down and watch 4/5 hours of sport in one go ?

And why will people who have never watched golf before decide to watch LIV golf - it’s still sitting there watching 4/5 hours of golf , just because it’s 3 days instead of 4 doesn’t change much - what’s the extra appeal that will get people to watch it when previously they had no interest?

Golf has tried to find a shorter format to get people in , add a bit of “razzmatazz” and it didn’t work

You aren’t watching the current best more relevant golfers , people know that any golfer that is playing is purely there because of the huge amount of money they are being given

The British Masters - 30k tickets sold out very quickly , same every year , LIV golf - they can’t give them away and it’s now got to the stage where they are offering postcodes 100 miles away free tickets.

I’m very unsure of the business model here.
Throwing zillions of $ around attracting players in needs to be turned into a huge positive cash flow, otherwise it is unsustainable, even with the riches of the Saudi’s.

Revenue comes from
1 bums on seats
2 merchandising
3 advertising
4 TV revenue including internet, YouTube etc

I’m not seeing anywhere near enough money being generated to make it work.

Just me with my old Bank Manager hat on ?

There is a budget of £6bn I believe for the first 4 years , that money is a drop in the ocean for them

They won’t be looking to generate money for the first 4 years

They need/want to attract all the best players but there will always be a key element missing - ranking points , the points that enable players to gain entry into the majors/Ryder cup etc

Without those ranking points they can’t get into The Masters or The USPGA and for the two Opens they will need to qualify via local qualifying and then final qualifying etc

And regardless of what money is thrown - those 4/5 events are the pinnacle of the sport - being given £100mil won’t enable them to enter a major

It’s all just like the Kerry Packer WSC - someone else who wanted to change things and threw money at it - lasted 2 years

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Dunno why but after reading a fair bit of the online narrative from folks who are clearly anti LIV, and despite what they write I’m not convinced the Saudi thing isn’t just a convenient vehicle and they’d be just as anti LIV if it was backed by Grandma’s Teddy Bear Co

And now that kick off is imminent many of the ‘objections’ seem to be purely to get the count of ‘numbers of flaws up’ i.e
problems with a shotgun start on final day; but its kinda obvious this will have been thought through, so we’ll likely see the final day leaders starting on hole 1 with those close behind on hole 2 etc etc so. So only rarely will the winning putt be on hole 7 or 13 etc. But is that really any different to the ET last week when the winner finished nearly 2 hours ahead of the final pairing
The most boring golf to watch on TV is always the final of the WGC matchplay. Shotgun is the polar opposite, maybe its even too far, and maybe a 3 or 6 tee start works better, we’ll find out
Doesn’t a shotgun start eliminate one of the worst things about 156 guys rocking up to a tournament i.e the ‘luck of the draw’ (which btw is never a random draw) re the weather the players face. How many times have we seen half a field eliminated simply because conditions changed, even Majors have been decided that way

I read there will be cameras on every hole all the time so if a shot is worthy it can be shown. That’s not what happens now on a bog standard tour event, they pick and choose who/when to film and so many players don’t get any screen time for their play (or their sponsors) etc . That’s why there’s no footage of the very first par 4 hole-in-one on the main European tour, because the camera team weren’t even filming the players on that hole at that time (& in case anyone thinks that was in the dim and distant past when only a couple of cameras were on site, it was only achieved in 2015)

Weren’t a bunch of folks (even on this forum) totally against a 72 hole strokeplay format for golf in the Olympics, preferring innovation on format, teams, amateurs etc among other variations… now it seems 72 hole strokeplay is somehow sacrosanct when a new tournament want to give something else a go

These alternatives to the status quo will be tried, tweaked and if it all fails then it fails but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be attempted

Jason.H

Visit site
Moneys isn’t everything. Cantley didn’t break a smile when he won the FedEx 12+ million $. I on the other hand would be grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
But what are those hours ?

Little snippets - interviews etc

How many sit down and watch 4/5 hours of sport in one go ?

And why will people who have never watched golf before decide to watch LIV golf - it’s still sitting there watching 4/5 hours of golf , just because it’s 3 days instead of 4 doesn’t change much - what’s the extra appeal that will get people to watch it when previously they had no interest?

Golf has tried to find a shorter format to get people in , add a bit of “razzmatazz” and it didn’t work

You aren’t watching the current best more relevant golfers , people know that any golfer that is playing is purely there because of the huge amount of money they are being given

The British Masters - 30k tickets sold out very quickly , same every year , LIV golf - they can’t give them away and it’s now got to the stage where they are offering postcodes 100 miles away free tickets.

There is a budget of £6bn I believe for the first 4 years , that money is a drop in the ocean for them

They won’t be looking to generate money for the first 4 years

They need/want to attract all the best players but there will always be a key element missing - ranking points , the points that enable players to gain entry into the majors/Ryder cup etc

Without those ranking points they can’t get into The Masters or The USPGA and for the two Opens they will need to qualify via local qualifying and then final qualifying etc

And regardless of what money is thrown - those 4/5 events are the pinnacle of the sport - being given £100mil won’t enable them to enter a major

It’s all just like the Kerry Packer WSC - someone else who wanted to change things and threw money at it - lasted 2 years

Rick Shiels put out a video last week, playing a 16 year old. 900,000 views.

That's Rick Shields and a kid that most people will have NEVER heard of.

How you can't see the potential here is completely beyond me. Or perhaps you can, but can't concede the point.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is countless hours of golf available to watch on YouTube. The fact its live wont have that big a draw for non golf fans. Live golf can and very often does be extremely boring for long periods of time. I'd say for the casual viewer, they would only get excited as it draws to its conclusion.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. From the challenge of covering and presenting this differnt format of golf to the possibility of it being a complete car crash.

D

Deleted member 15344

. Youtubers like Rick Shiels will be raking in millions. LIV golf will have the viewers it’s a global sport.
Not sure they are taking in “millions” - they get a lot of sponsorship and partnerships but it’s nowhere near millions or the sort of funds that help someone retire early