LIV Golf

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Who's the target audience? If the Forum advert is anything to go by, it's us (see screen grab below).

What constitutes success in terms of views? Some Golf output on Sky gets less than 100k viewers. I would suggest any figure that matches any Sky viewing figure for any golf will be successful.

1654617568445.png

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Questions:

1. Shotgun start: Whose opening drive will they choose to show? My money is on Dustin. Second option is Phil. They will probably ask Dustin to tee off first in his group, Phil 4th, so they can definitely show both. If they were both 1st to tee off, they'd have a dilemma on whose drive to show.

2. Do teams play in the same group (groups of 4). I'm guessing they will. Therefore, groups of 4 and probably longer rounds? (PGA is groups of 3 in opening days, groups of 2 at weekend)

3. If 2 or 3 players are tied going into the last hole, or close, will the broadcasters panic about whose shot they will show? You could have 2 or 3 players putting at the same time for the potential win. Commentators usually love to build the shot up, and discuss what is going through the players head as they walk down the fairway / circle the putt to size it up. There will probably be little of that with this happening with multiple golfers at the same time on different holes.

They obviously can't show every shot live but, like with existing broadcasts, they can show with a slight delay if two events coincide. If it's streaming online there is the opportunity to let viewers pick and choose a stream, favourite group or favourite hole for example. Not expecting them to do that with the first tournament but they have the freedom to do it in the future if they're not beholden to a single channel broadcast partner. I remember enjoying the BBC's red button coverage of the 2012 Olympics where you could pick and choose exactly what you wanted to watch, it was all available, all the time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Questions:

1. Shotgun start: Whose opening drive will they choose to show? My money is on Dustin. Second option is Phil. They will probably ask Dustin to tee off first in his group, Phil 4th, so they can definitely show both. If they were both 1st to tee off, they'd have a dilemma on whose drive to show.
Lots of golf is shown pre recorded, whether by 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes etc. It's only the magic of television that makes us think it is live. That really won't be an issue.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't recall it being covered but there is one issue with the shotgun start.
I don't know the holes at Centurion so let's imagine it's being played at Augusta.
It's the last day and there are 3 players in contention, all on the same score.
One is playing the 10th, one is playing the 11th and one is playing the 2nd....
I know who my money's on.....
Having a difficult par 4 as your last hole vs a relatively easy par 5......not really a fair fight in my view..

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't recall it being covered but there is one issue with the shotgun start.
I don't know the holes at Centurion so let's imagine it's being played at Augusta.
It's the last day and there are 3 players in contention, all on the same score.
One is playing the 10th, one is playing the 11th and one is playing the 2nd....
I know who my money's on.....
Having a difficult par 4 as your last hole vs a relatively easy par 5......not really a fair fight in my view..

All have played the same holes over the day tho

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Indeed they have but they guy playing the 2nd has a huge advantage as it's a relatively easy birdie to get to -10...the others have a much tougher job making their birdie to force a playoff...
Not a huge thing but it makes a difference

On the flip side the player who playing the other holes played the second earlier to get him in that position

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
On the flip side the player who playing the other holes played the second earlier to get him in that position
So what?
2 guys playing difficult finishing holes vs 1 guy playing an easy hole...what happened before is irrelevant
The guy playing the par 5 has a huge advantage....simple as that.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I’ve watched women’s golf on the skysports YouTube channel, the ‘watching’ figure has often been less than 1000 at any one time. Will be interested to see what this gets.

I’ve tried to find which YouTube channel it’s being shown on and can’t find it, maybe it’ll be a last minute thing.

Will be watching more out of morbid curiosity than anything else!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So what?
2 guys playing difficult finishing holes vs 1 guy playing an easy hole...what happened before is irrelevant
But surely that’s just a mental thing & it’s up to the players to manage that.
I know where you’re coming from but they’ve all played the same holes.
I’d say it’s a bigger advantage/disadvantage when you’ve got morning v afternoon starters & the weather changes.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So what?

It isn't irrelevant. If what happened before hadn't happened they wouldn't be where they are now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I’ve watched women’s golf on the skysports YouTube channel, the ‘watching’ figure has often been less than 1000 at any one time. Will be interested to see what this gets.

I’ve tried to find which YouTube channel it’s being shown on and can’t find it, maybe it’ll be a last minute thing.

Will be watching more out of morbid curiosity than anything else!

What does the ladies game get on sky for comparison?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What does the ladies game get on sky for comparison?

I couldn’t tell you. Although looking at their YouTube channel they were getting 100k+ total views for their masters coverage. Not a fair comparison, and I’m not trying to make any sort of point here, I enjoy watching women’s golf. But I’ll be surprised if LIV gets anything like those sort of numbers.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I couldn’t tell you. Although looking at their YouTube channel they were getting 100k+ total views for their masters coverage. Not a fair comparison, and I’m not trying to make any sort of point here, I enjoy watching women’s golf. But I’ll be surprised if LIV gets anything like those sort of numbers.

Issue with the masters is it's up against sky and bbc last day

Only real option this week or should I say the big option

Swango1980

Visit site
Lots of golf is shown pre recorded, whether by 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes etc. It's only the magic of television that makes us think it is live. That really won't be an issue.
Indeed it is. Which is easy when the field is spread out, players at different stages of their round, etc. However, everyone will be at the same stage of their round. When teeing off their 1st hole, everyone will be. So, they will need to be selective which few players they choose to show (easy enough with few big names in 1st field). However, never known a situation were 2, 3, 4, etc players could be potentially sinking the winning putt simultaneously. Who do they show live, who pre recorded? When we watch the live one, will we hear a huge roar on another part of the course? We get that a little at various stages of a round now, but it is likely to get a bit overbearing with a shotgun start.

Last edited: