LIV Golf

AussieKB

Visit site
You obviously don't understand the meaning of Hypocrite. The meaning doesn't need to change at all, maybe you need to be educated on the English language.

Taking sponsorship money and taking filthy Saudi money to play less golf in an inferior competition with no possibility of missing the cut is 2 completely different issues.
But taking Saudi appearance money is OK ?
Playing in Dubai in two weeks time, all these holier then now people will not be there ?
Give me a break.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Probably significantly more than 60% though not all at once. Plenty of tournaments are used as warm-ups or as part of a 'swing' for the high-value one of a circuit or as prep for Majors.
Not quite following your intention of the 60% stat. Could you clarify?
Guess 'top players' is also subjective.
Aware that the current nbr 1 has 46 counting events over a 2 year (~ 100 event) period.

Ian_George

Visit site
So is this where the extra prize money is coming from for the PGA Tour?

Bryson said he had payments witheld from the PIP money, now Bubba is making the same claim. $1.5 million - pretty poor from the PGA Tour imo.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/golf/li...-critics-says-pga-tour-still-owes-1-5-million
Old news! Thoroughly reasonable attitude come tactic by PGAT imo. Neither player has fulfilled the requirement and not likely to do so in the future! They could, of course, sue for it but I strongly suspect they'd lose. Still makes another good snippet to keep LIV in the news though.

D

Deleted member 29109

So is this where the extra prize money is coming from for the PGA Tour?

Bryson said he had payments witheld from the PIP money, now Bubba is making the same claim. $1.5 million - pretty poor from the PGA Tour imo.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/golf/li...-critics-says-pga-tour-still-owes-1-5-million

Not poor at all if the players no longer meet the contractual requirements to receive the bonus.

Some of these players don’t appear to be able to read contracts, or are poorly advised.

Or maybe it’s just more PGA Tour is bad propaganda now the exhibitions have stopped.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Old news! Thoroughly reasonable attitude come tactic by PGAT imo. Neither player has fulfilled the requirement and not likely to do so in the future! They could, of course, sue for it but I strongly suspect they'd lose. Still makes another good snippet to keep LIV in the news though.

Brysons final requirement was to make a 1st tee appearance at a Junior tournament in Dallas, which he was refused permission.

If you want to defend the PGA over that, good luck. They’ve clearly done it so they can keep his money.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm pretty certain that Tiger would get a sponsor's invite from any tournament that he hasn't already got lifetime exemption from! I'm flabbergasted that you'd consider putting Poulter in the same category! wrt LIV.

There IS an issue of what happens to LIV players, particularly stalwarts or original guys, once they are no longer competitive, especially those who were dropping out of contention anyway (Poulter not really being one of those, but perhaps getting close). But that's their problem, not mine. The Saudis aren't renowned for their sympathetic approach to folk who don't perform to their expectations!

By the sounds of things - the Legends tour will have them! That's what Westwood has been saying..

Ian_George

Visit site
Not quite following your intention of the 60% stat. Could you clarify?
Guess 'top players' is also subjective.
Aware that the current nbr 1 has 46 counting events over a 2 year (~ 100 event) period.
K?
The figure was an estimate (guess). But given that the 'top' players play 20-25 tournaments per year with some weeks either Majors, 'season break' or lower level tournaments, that'd be my pick. I wouldn't expect ALL of the top players to be playing the same tournaments - that would only happen in Majors etc - but certainly more than just 1 for the more lucrative or premium ones.

BubbaP

Visit site
Valdarama severs ties with DP World Tour to align with Liv???

https://www.alistairtaitgolf.com/post/has-valderrama-said-a-sad-adios
Thanks for sharing. I don't really understand why it couldn't hold events for both tours but we'll see.
A quote in there I can relate to
"I’ve never been to Saudi Arabia, and wish the House of Saud had never got involved in this royal and ancient game. Ditto for other countries with appalling human rights records staging golf tournaments."
As the saying goes - in life :poop: happens, it's how you deal with it that matters.

Future gazing is hard, but reading behind several of Jay's releases, and this from Rory
aviary-image-1667378309818.jpeg
https://www.reuters.com/article/golf-cjcup-mcilroy-idUKKBN2RE1PF

I wonder if we are heading to a place where the PGA Tour (USA) reduces it schedules to fewer, higher purse events - we have PGAT and LIV mostly alternating on the calendar. Some 'lesser lights' on current PGAT spend more time on DPWT, KF, & Asian Tour, with good showings enabling them to feed into one of the top two.

BubbaP

Visit site
K?
The figure was an estimate (guess). But given that the 'top' players play 20-25 tournaments per year with some weeks either Majors, 'season break' or lower level tournaments, that'd be my pick. I wouldn't expect ALL of the top players to be playing the same tournaments - that would only happen in Majors etc - but certainly more than just 1 for the more lucrative or premium ones.
I tried reading it two ways:

Outside of the majors, the top players used to play together for 60% of weeks.

Outside of majors, 60% of top players play each week.

That was my question, 60% of what.

TBH, either way seemed too high to me, and maybe to Rory also...
“We need to get the top guys together more often than we do,” McIlroy said during a media session at the BMW Championship.24 Aug 2022

Ian_George

Visit site
I tried reading it two ways:

Outside of the majors, the top players used to play together for 60% of weeks.

Outside of majors, 60% of top players play each week.

That was my question, 60% of what.

TBH, either way seemed too high to me, and maybe to Rory also...
“We need to get the top guys together more often than we do,” McIlroy said during a media session at the BMW Championship.24 Aug 2022
Try....60% of active, non-Major weeks, there's more than 1 top 120 (sort of top 100 non-LIV) players playing in a tournament. Of course, that's not what I believe McIlroy wants, which is a significant number of the top guys playing against each other more often than now

Last edited:

Ian_George

Visit site

Swango1980

Visit site
McIlroys and many other wish is much more simple to me. We get bogged down too much on individual tournaments, and start comparing how many top players play in each one and how many do not.

But, it is not really about stand alone tournaments. What McIlroy wants is all the top players competing together on a single tour. A tour that is the ultimate destination for the up and coming great golfers of the future to want to get to, and the current best golfers to be members of. How the members of that tour decide to allocate their schedule is largely up to them. There are events nearly every single week, so clearly it is not realistic to have them play in every event. Therefore, at certain times of year, the events are better suited for the lesser golfers on the tour to compete and try and improve their standing in golf, with a sprinkling of higher quality golfers. While, at other times of the year, the events will be made up of many of the best golfers, especially around the Major season.

So, with LIV just coming along and buying their way into professional golf, they have clearly shaken things up, and in a way that many will see unfair (they've not earned their place via golf, they just got their wallets out) and damaging to golf. Firstly, players have joined the tour randomly and by invite. If LIV had signed up the top 48 players in the world at the time in the rankings, and lined all their pockets, we could all agree it is pretty much the strongest field they could get. And yet, how would that be fair? What about the golfers sat 49th and worse? What about young prodigies further down the rankings, but about to shoot up towards the top 10 by doing well in events with other top players in them? At what point would they get their chance in LIV, and who would LIV axe? Would it be decided in a boardroom somewhere? Therefore, even if the quality of field when LIV began could not be questioned, the sporting side of it could still be questioned. Quite easily.

I still think it has been dreadfully organised. Had they had a system in which all 48 golfers had to qualify, and adjusted the format in ways in which they better meet World Ranking Points criteria, they could surely have been in a better position? Once they know their 48 qualifiers, it is true that many might still say No due to a concern about upsetting the PGA Tour, which understandably they will have some loyalty to (they've done well after all). However, LIV could then have just offered the big sign on fees to the top guys who qualified to tempt them. Forget offering Mickleson £200 million. Offer that to McIlroy. If he says no, go down to the next on the list, offer him that, and so on. Once they get one guy, offer the next guy $150 million. And so on. Perhaps the sign on fees wouldn't even need to be as high, but they could have made prize money even higher.

Yes, there may still be some that don't like LIV, especially those with a true allegiance to the PGA Tour. But, many of the good arguments that they have against LIV would be non-existent. Instead, it would probably be more about sportswashing and any dislikes with variations in format. Sportswashing is a weaker argument, as nobody is whiter than white when it comes to that.

cleveland52

Visit site
Not poor at all if the players no longer meet the contractual requirements to receive the bonus.

Some of these players don’t appear to be able to read contracts, or are poorly advised.

Or maybe it’s just more PGA Tour is bad propaganda now the exhibitions have stopped.
I think that we can expect plenty of that the next four months of LIV downtime.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I've no problem with that. Though, given the Legends Tour's connection with The European Tour, I'm not sure how well that would 'go down'! Likewise, The Champions Tour.

I think that's what the articles are about.. Westwood in disbelief he's actually been invited to play...