LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Do you all not think that LIV golf would have the foresight to put some kind of ‘failure to perform’ clause in the Players contracts?

I doubt the LIV Players are on the kind of endless gravy train some are imagining

They’re not, Poulter was given the captaincy at the weekend. He’s below the cut line for secure playing rights (top 24). Captains are excluded from being ‘cut’ depending on their contracts. My understanding was that started in 2023, so might have just been precautionary but the notion that everybody on LIV is playing without pressure is completely hollow.

When the series in its fully operational mode next year, there will be a lot at stake for all the players.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
So the same logic applies to Rory’s recent wins without the competition that is now playing on LIV…..?

Yes, they are slightly diminished. Roughly 95% of what they would have been had the LIV golfers been there. Thats why LIV has been nothing but damaging. And the same applies to LIV : they are the other 5 % of what a full tournament would be, and so of negligible achievement.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
But pros dont play on your track, they play on PGA length tracks of 7k yards mate

Are you suggesting that LIV are playing on a goat track in comparison to the PGA tour?
The tracks they play are of minimal importance. As are the scores, and the quality of golf they play. Its who they beat, that determines the value of a golf win. The field is everything.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They’re not, Poulter was given the captaincy at the weekend. He’s below the cut line for secure playing rights (top 24). Captains are excluded from being ‘cut’ depending on their contracts. My understanding was that started in 2023, so might have just been precautionary but the notion that everybody on LIV is playing without pressure is completely hollow.

The pressure of knowing that if your face fits and you're below the cut line you can be gifted the role of captain to make sure you don't get cut? Doesn't sound like it's equal for all participants if the organisers are able to play favourites.

D

Deleted member 1147

Do you all not think that LIV golf would have the foresight to put some kind of ‘failure to perform’ clause in the Players contracts?

I doubt the LIV Players are on the kind of endless gravy train some are imagining
For the lesser lights may be. But I can't imagine they'll pay £50-100m for someone, and then bin them off completely if they have a poor year.

Swango1980

Visit site
For the lesser lights may be. But I can't imagine they'll pay £50-100m for someone, and then bin them off completely if they have a poor year.
Indeed. Apparently Phil Mickleson was given $200 Million to play on LIV. It would be strange if they axed him after a few events for playing poorly, and actually performing as if he is well past his peak years.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The pressure of knowing that if your face fits and you're below the cut line you can be gifted the role of captain to make sure you don't get cut? Doesn't sound like it's equal for all participants if the organisers are able to play favourites.

Aye, it’s a bit like Tiger being perpetually injured and failing to git the minimum number of competitions, but because his face fits, he’s welcomed onto the PGAT anytime he wants to play.

It’s a business decision at the end of the day.,

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site

When the series in its fully operational mode next year, there will be a lot at stake for all the players.

Would be absolutely hilarious if Poulter was cut from the LIV tour after all the pontificating! Know he could just retire without a care, but would be satisfying if he was no longer wanted by LIV, and couldn't get back on any other tour.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
This is my thinking too! Phil has been pretty much irrelevant at LIV... bet he doesn't get cut...
Indeed. Apparently Phil Mickleson was given $200 Million to play on LIV. It would be strange if they axed him after a few events for playing poorly, and actually performing as if he is well past his peak years.

Probably my wording but I'm kinda using failure to perform in a contractual sense rather than just shooting a few (many) over par rounds

i.e I don't think that contractually they'll get away with; not taking it seriously/not putting a shift in/not practicing enough etc because they got money up front

D

Deleted member 29109

Aye, it’s a bit like Tiger being perpetually injured and failing to git the minimum number of competitions, but because his face fits, he’s welcomed onto the PGAT anytime he wants to play.

Does he not have a lifetime exemption?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

It’s not about his golf for me, it’s about getting one of the most recognisable names in golf on board. Almost like paying him to advertise rather than rip it up on the the course.
How much did Rory get for signing up to the Nike sponsorship deal years ago? I can’t remember exactly but it was a shed load wasn’t it.

Swango1980

Visit site

I like the way you are now desperately trying to compare Tiger Woods, possibly the greatest golfer of all time, to a 52 year old Phil Mickleson, DJ, Westwood, Poulter, etc.

In addition, I'd imagine if Cameron Smith had to take some time out of the game injured, there would be calls for him to get certain exemptions when he started to play again, if he didn't strictly meet the qualifying criteria due to not being able to play.

Swango1980

Visit site
It’s not about his golf for me, it’s about getting one of the most recognisable names in golf on board. Almost like paying him to advertise rather than rip it up on the the course.
How much did Rory get for signing up to the Nike sponsorship deal years ago? I can’t remember exactly but it was a shed load wasn’t it.
And, he is doing a great job at making LIV look like a complete "farce" to anyone outside the LIV fan base. He pretty much fits the definition of a washed up has been, and a has been that was always playing second fiddle to Tiger Woods, which is great if that is what LIV are pushing.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
And, he is doing a great job at making LIV look like a complete "farce" to anyone outside the LIV fan base. He pretty much fits the definition of a washed up has been, and a has been that was always playing second fiddle to Tiger Woods, which is great if that is what LIV are pushing.

Wow, your bitterness holds no bounds ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Wow, your bitterness holds no bounds ?
Apologies if you have a different opinion. Perhaps you think he is a great person to have as one of the big faces of LIV? But, my opinion is that he is an absolute has been, and his performances suggest that. Cameron Smith, DJ or Bryson would have been much better as the major figureheads of the brand (although Tiger Woods or Rory McIlroy would have been better still).

I'm still shocked that they payed Mickleson so much. Clearly a sign of desperation in the early stages to try and get any well known name on board. But, even before LIV Mickleson seemed to be a fairly divisive figure

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I like the way you are now desperately trying to compare Tiger Woods, possibly the greatest golfer of all time, to a 52 year old Phil Mickleson, DJ, Westwood, Poulter, etc.

In addition, I'd imagine if Cameron Smith had to take some time out of the game injured, there would be calls for him to get certain exemptions when he started to play again, if he didn't strictly meet the qualifying criteria due to not being able to play.

I’m not desperately doing anything.

Tiger gets to play on the PGAT because of his legacy rather than his ability.

The same applies to several players on LIV.

There is nothing wrong with that, if it generates interest in the product.