LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 1418

So what happens if all the teams become franchises and say Elon Musk buys one of them, possibly Mickelson's team. Does he then have the power to sack Mickelson and the other members of that team if they're not performing?

Or do the limb choppers say no because they'd given Phil $200m initially?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So what happens if all the teams become franchises and say Elon Musk buys one of them, possibly Mickelson's team. Does he then have the power to sack Mickelson and the other members of that team if they're not performing?

Or do the limb choppers say no because they'd given Phil $200m initially?

Limb choppers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Class

Ian_George

Visit site
He’s a stakeholder, he’s pivotal to the business model, but I wouldn’t rule him out quickly becoming a non playing captain.
Er, please explain exactly what that means! Has he put money into it or deferred payment or earnings? And how, exactly, is ne 'pivotal to the business model'? Even The Shark doesn't seem particularly 'pivotal' these days, as he seems to be taking a back seat and letting the CEO do more of the communication these days. 'Non-playing Captain' seems equivalent to PGAT giving a player a token (like 'Head of Player Liaison') title, and paying him loads, to someone who can no longer justify being there from the quality of their play!

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s not about his golf for me, it’s about getting one of the most recognisable names in golf on board. Almost like paying him to advertise rather than rip it up on the the course.
How much did Rory get for signing up to the Nike sponsorship deal years ago? I can’t remember exactly but it was a shed load wasn’t it.
Rory got £150 million over 10 years
But of course now it’s players being greedy.
He’s such a hypocrite it’s unbelievable.

Ian_George

Visit site
Aye, it’s a bit like Tiger being perpetually injured and failing to git the minimum number of competitions, but because his face fits, he’s welcomed onto the PGAT anytime he wants to play.

It’s a business decision at the end of the day.,
I'm pretty certain that Tiger would get a sponsor's invite from any tournament that he hasn't already got lifetime exemption from! I'm flabbergasted that you'd consider putting Poulter in the same category! wrt LIV.

There IS an issue of what happens to LIV players, particularly stalwarts or original guys, once they are no longer competitive, especially those who were dropping out of contention anyway (Poulter not really being one of those, but perhaps getting close). But that's their problem, not mine. The Saudis aren't renowned for their sympathetic approach to folk who don't perform to their expectations!

Last edited:

Ian_George

Visit site
I’m not desperately doing anything.

Tiger gets to play on the PGAT because of his legacy rather than his ability.

The same applies to several players on LIV.
Absolutely laughably bizarre reasoning - comparing Tiger's absolutely huge career over many years to about 6 months of LIV that, for all anyone knows (and many might prefer) might be a 1-season wonder - though I'm pretty certain it's here for quite a while.
it generates interest in the product.
Only of the 'any publicity is good publicity' category! So I'll give it the :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::poop::poop: it deserves!

Swango1980

Visit site
Rory got £150 million over 10 years
But of course now it’s players being greedy.
He’s such a hypocrite it’s unbelievable.
I forgot about that, when McIlroy signed a deal with Nike, and suddenly got special treatment relative to his peers, and no longer had to qualify for events. Oh, hang on, that didn't happen....

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, what a hypocrite.. imagine working your nuts off all your life, wanting to be officially best in the world, win meaningful titles and contribute to the game on grassroots basis.

Wow, what a hypocrite..

Stroker
Then slate people for trying to make a living as well.
Yes total Hypocrite.
And please don’t call me names or you will have a week off.

Swango1980

Visit site
How can someone take a deal worth £150 million then call people greedy or say others are doing it for the money,if that’s not a hypocrite the meaning needs to change.
You've completely failed to get Rory's argument. Had Mickleson signed a $200 million deal with Addidas, then you would have had a great argument. McIlroy would have been a hypocrite for slating him.

I mean, you do realise he isn't simply calling people greedy for getting large amounts of money? It is how they are getting that money is his issue, and how he feels that impacts golf

birdyhunter

Visit site
How can someone take a deal worth £150 million then call people greedy or say others are doing it for the money,if that’s not a hypocrite the meaning needs to change.

You just don't get it, do you? He did it as that was the market at the time.. the best players got the big money, unlike now.. You'd rather watch Pat Perez than Rory.. really?

He took the money knowing that it wouldn't destroy the game for the punter who wants to watch the best players in the world compete against each other. Unlike the greedy players now who couldn't give a Tinkers Toss about the people who pay their wages.

AussieKB

Visit site
You just don't get it, do you? He did it as that was the market at the time.. the best players got the big money, unlike now.. You'd rather watch Pat Perez than Rory.. really?

He took the money knowing that it wouldn't destroy the game for the punter who wants to watch the best players in the world compete against each other. Unlike the greedy players now who couldn't give a Tinkers Toss about the people who pay their wages.
How often did the best players play against each other before, excluding The Majors and the Players Champ, not as many times as people believe.

As for the Pat Perez comment, the same could be said about PGAT players and DJ Cam etc.

Ian_George

Visit site
How often did the best players play against each other before, excluding The Majors and the Players Champ, not as many times as people believe.
Probably significantly more than 60% though not all at once. Plenty of tournaments are used as warm-ups or as part of a 'swing' for the high-value one of a circuit or as prep for Majors.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site

You obviously don't understand the meaning of Hypocrite. The meaning doesn't need to change at all, maybe you need to be educated on the English language.

Taking sponsorship money and taking filthy Saudi money to play less golf in an inferior competition with no possibility of missing the cut is 2 completely different issues.