LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
That's not entirely true though. They arent cutting the guys who got paid to join. Poulter, Westwood, Mickleson, Bryson... all been average but going nowhere I bet

No they aren’t, it wouldn’t make sense to kick those guys off when they are the household names within the series. As I said the other day, these guys are stakeholders and responsible for building the series in the coming years.
In time I’d imagine the qualification becomes just as relevant as on any other tour, where of course, exemptions are regularly made to get non qualified players into events.

Ian_George

Visit site
See my previous post.
I did! Doesn't answer my question! FWIW, to answer it 'fully', you would have to either be guessing at how failure to perform is handled or far more info than seems to be available on the info freely available - aka have insider knowledge! Which is it? Or can you point to the bits of documentation that I've missed?

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
No they aren’t, it wouldn’t make sense to kick those guys off when they are the household names within the series. As I said the other day, these guys are stakeholders and responsible for building the series in the coming years.
In time I’d imagine the qualification becomes just as relevant as on any other tour, where of course, exemptions are regularly made to get non qualified players into events.

Your points rubbish mate. Basically they're stuck with the guys they've paid despite them not being competitive.

That's more harmful than good to LIV in my eyes - they should be after the best golfing product they can offer and should not bank on the celebrity status of the signed guys growing the game alone.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Your points rubbish mate. Basically they're stuck with the guys they've paid despite them not being competitive.

That's more harmful than good to LIV in my eyes - they should be after the best golfing product they can offer and should not bank on the celebrity status of the signed guys growing the game alone.

Who are they stuck with that’s rubbish?

Phil will be a non playing captain the minute his team has 4 players that exceed his own ability, his role will be to act as a representative of his team, and LIV.

The money spent on recruiting these players isn’t based on their value as golfers, it’s based on their value to LIV.

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Phil will be a non playing captain the minute his team has 4 players that exceed his own ability, his role will be to act as a representative of his team, and LIV.

The money spent on recruiting these players isn’t based on their value as golfers, it’s based on their value to LIV.

Everyone I named hasn't been relevant in final leaderboards....

So they paid 150 mill for Phil to basically become another Norman in 12 months time?

Ian_George

Visit site

See my update to the post you quoted. I'm not actually interested in the Team aspect of LIV though can imagine it being a marketing or funding tool! Though being non-playing captain does seem to be the definition of 'rubbish - simply picking up at least $120K a dozen times a year!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Everyone I named hasn't been relevant in final leaderboards....

So they paid 150 mill for Phil to basically become another Norman in 12 months time?

Phil will have been the catalyst for others to join, DJ, Brooks? Who knows. Without Phil, would the series have had the attention it has had this year, I don’t think it would.
He was an investment for LIV, time will tell if it was a good investment or not.

As for the players you’ve listed, Westwood could have won in Boston (?) if he’d hit the green with his final approach shot. As it was, he messed up and missed the play off by a shot, but he was definitely contending for the win.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
In addition to prize money as a motivation, pgat players have the reward of the title itself. That is worth a lot to any sports person, and nobody reaches their level of achievement without a very strong competitive mentality and desire to win. Winning a pgat tournament provides that, validates their sporting careers and actualises the fundamental goal they set out to achieve, years or decades earlier. LIV tournaments dont. They are like champions tour wins. Of course Langer, Harrington, etc badly want to win those now. But they are only footnotes to their real career against open fields.

AussieKB

Visit site
In addition to prize money as a motivation, pgat players have the reward of the title itself. That is worth a lot to any sports person, and nobody reaches their level of achievement without a very strong competitive mentality and desire to win. Winning a pgat tournament provides that, validates their sporting careers and actualises the fundamental goal they set out to achieve, years or decades earlier. LIV tournaments dont. They are like champions tour wins. Of course Langer, Harrington, etc badly want to win those now. But they are only footnotes to their real career against open fields.
Winning a PGAT with 3 top 50 players in it validates your career ?
Am sure their Bank Manager would love that and also the Wife as she goes out shopping.
But like I said earlier there are a lot of players on the PGAT who have won a fortune compared to us and should never want for anything if they invested wisely.

So looking in that display cabinet and I can see the Shriners or Fortinet trophy or a LIV trophy, who really cares,
but a Major is another kettle of fish.

Next year can the PGAT say that the Players is the strongest field in golf ?
IMHO a big fat no, even though I would love to see Cam DJ etc playing in it.

Ian_George

Visit site
Winning a PGAT with 3 top 50 players in it validates your career ?
Am sure their Bank Manager would love that and also the Wife as she goes out shopping.
But like I said earlier there are a lot of players on the PGAT who have won a fortune compared to us and should never want for anything if they invested wisely.

So looking in that display cabinet and I can see the Shriners or Fortinet trophy or a LIV trophy, who really cares,
but a Major is another kettle of fish.

Next year can the PGAT say that the Players is the strongest field in golf ?
IMHO a big fat no, even though I would love to see Cam DJ etc playing in it.
Same likely to be said of all the Majors though. Just demonstrates why the split is not good for Golf - and why the Majors body are concerned about it!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

That’s a fair point. We regularly see ‘PGA tour wins’ against a player’s credentials.
What it does show as well is how overvalued some PGA wins are - I’d imagine there are plenty of DP tour events that are harder to win, and should carry more recognition - but they are in the shadow of much lesser PGA tour events.

AussieKB

Visit site
Same likely to be said of all the Majors though. Just demonstrates why the split is not good for Golf - and why the Majors body are concerned about it!
So you agree that the Majors should pick the best players to participate, to ensure the integrity of the event ? regardless of where they play.

Ian_George

Visit site
So you agree that the Majors should pick the best players to participate, to ensure the integrity of the event ? regardless of where they play.
NO! But they should set criteria that allows the best players in the world to play and let individuals make personal choices as to what their own priorities are!

Ian_George

Visit site
What ????? so you don't want the best players to play in the Majors......
I don't actually care that much! I want to see the best players available playing! After all, the best player in the world hasn't completed a competition for a number of years! That hasn't reduced my enjoyment of the Majors though!

AussieKB

Visit site
I don't actually care that much! I want to see the best players available playing! After all, the best player in the world hasn't completed a competition for a number of years! That hasn't reduced my enjoyment of the Majors though!
If you are talking about Tigger then he is no longer the best player in the world....for a while now.
if the Majors do not accept the best players then they become what ???? exhibition games due to invite only
a bit like the Masters was for long period of time.