LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Congratulations to DJ and the 4 Aces there. Best team through the inaugural season, Perez sticking it to the critics with a solid score today.
Fantastic round from Cam Smith, the ozzy team just lacking the strength in depth but that was a tight finish. The team concept works. (y)

D

Deleted member 21445

That's a wrap on 2022 Liv Golf.

Head of PIF says they are going to announce new signings before the end of the year.

Inevitable that more are going to move across but who and how many?

PGAT player Andrew Putnum said on the Stripe Show Podcast he has heard a team of 4 Europeans are going across..
Hatton, Fleetwood, Rose, Wallace, Pieters... Who knows??

Observer also ran a story saying Cantlay and Xander could be going.

Me thinks Liv is going to continue to be in the news..

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...oadcast-deal-for-2023-season?CMP=share_btn_tw

Ian_George

Visit site

Head of PIF says they are going to announce new signings before the end of the year.

PGAT player Andrew Putnum said on the Stripe Show Podcast he has heard a team of 4 Europeans are going across..

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...oadcast-deal-for-2023-season?CMP=share_btn_tw
Well, as a spectacle, it won't be be missed by me, though I'll miss not seeing some of its members compete against non-LIV ones until Major participation is resolved. I'm sure there'll be more guys recruited, with announcements timed to keep it in the news. As a 'disrupter', that's an essential part of its strategy for a while - as is the OWGR issue that

I'm certain there'll be more players lured across, with announcements timed to keep LIV in the news. For that reason, the OWGR issue won't go away either, with LIV guys continuing to claim that they should be awarded points now! I believe OWGR/Majors Board should resist that, but offer some sort of entry criteria or method into Majors until the points awarding issue is resolved. It's not something I imagine will happen soon though, as I believe it clashes with LIV's 'disrupter' strategy.

I'm not a fan of the broadcast format - not the relaxed style of other tours, though Feherty has smoothed the commentary since joining and the screen is too busy imo. I don't really give a toss about the 'team' side of it, but that's likely to become more significant with it being part of the ongoing funding.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Congratulations to DJ and the 4 Aces there. Best team through the inaugural season, Perez sticking it to the critics with a solid score today.
Fantastic round from Cam Smith, the ozzy team just lacking the strength in depth but that was a tight finish. The team concept works. (y)
DJ drops a spot to 31st in the world. The owgr dont lie, so I certainly believe there are 30 golfers in the world better than Dustin, and that he has gotten even worse this weekend.

No, the team concept does not work. There are probably some exception viewers to prove the rule, but nobody, cares or follows the team element. It is the worst 'innovation' in LIV, and worse, the golfing world recognising it is nonsense despite the PR spin, is actually detrimental to its credibility as serious sport, lending it more the atmosphere, commentators included, of a 1980s ITV game show.

AussieKB

Visit site
Well I enjoyed the team side, just hope Cam Smith can hang on to a top 50 spot in OWGR, as he is not only Champion Golfer of the Year but the PGA Players champ as well, but according to some people he is a has been.

Can see a new ranking system coming out next year.

D

Deleted member 1418

Well 4 teams contesting a 'Final' is certainly new! Perhaps that's what the Qatari's are going to spring on us for their World Cup? France v Germany v Brazil v Argentina on the same pitch........:unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Well I enjoyed the team side, just hope Cam Smith can hang on to a top 50 spot in OWGR, as he is not only Champion Golfer of the Year but the PGA Players champ as well, but according to some people he is a has been.

Haters gonna hate ;)

Cam Smith shooting a 65 round that course proves he’s right up there as a world class golfer, regardless of what some ranking system says.

The datagolf rankings will be updated later, be interesting to see how the weekends golf affects their positions.

Ian_George

Visit site

As winner of The Open and The Players, Smith (and Johnson) has little need for OWGR position for at least 18 months, by which time the situation will, hopefully, be sorted out. It's those who haven't won majors that will be affected most - but then only in relation to Majors. FWIW, the 'alternative' ranking systems I've seen indicate Smith and most other LIV players are dropping even if LIV results are included, though their parameters all differ.

D

Deleted member 29109

Where has Cam Smith ever been called a has been?

You know you could just say you enjoyed the golf you watched without the whiney child dig?

Ian_George

Visit site
DJ drops a spot to 31st in the world. The owgr dont lie, so I certainly believe there are 30 golfers in the world better than Dustin, and that he has gotten even worse this weekend.
H'mm. Even while I'm not a fan of LIV and its 'disrupter' state, I think your view is coloured by your anti-LIV attitude. Just check out the comparison rankings on Twitter that still shows DJ in the top 10!
No, the team concept does not work. There are probably some exception viewers to prove the rule, but nobody, cares or follows the team element. It is the worst 'innovation' in LIV, and worse, the golfing world recognising it is nonsense despite the PR spin, is actually detrimental to its credibility as serious sport, lending it more the atmosphere, commentators included, of a 1980s ITV game show.
I'm not a fan of the team concept either, though enjoyed the 2 matchplay format rounds. It takes up too much space on the screen and the commentators push it far too much - obviously directed to do so. But it's obviously a differentiator and a likely future funding method, so I'm sure it'll stay or even expand.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Where has Cam Smith ever been called a has been?
He certainly isnt a has been, and will still turn out for the majors we have to presume. Semi-retired is probably the best description for him.

And wins on LiV are certainly not entirely worthless.
Given the hybrid pre-champions tour / exhibition golf combination nature of it, and small field, I would rate a win just a little behind a Kornferry tour win.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
He certainly isnt a has been, and will still turn out for the majors we have to presume. Semi-retired is probably the best description for him.

And wins on LiV are certainly not entirely worthless.
Given the hybrid pre-champions tour / exhibition golf combination nature of it, and small field, I would rate a win just a little behind a Kornferry tour win.

Just totally discredited your position with that last sentence there.

Shame, as you make some worthwhile points, especially where OWGR is concerned.

Ian_George

Visit site
Really enjoyed LIV this weekend.

What will the thread become now we have no events for a while!
There'll be frequent announcements from LIV Central of new recruits etc! And I'll be watching to see when LIV players, not otherwise qualified, fall out of the top 50 of OWGR.