LIV Golf

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How many points would the liv players theoretically gain with a small field and fairly shallow pool of players.

Is it unfair that lesser players have a big chance at gaining plenty of points against short fields.

Who at LIV has played well through the current series to justify moving up in the world rankings?

D

Deleted member 29109

H'mm. Even while I'm not a fan of LIV and its 'disrupter' state, I think your view is coloured by your anti-LIV attitude. Just check out the comparison rankings on Twitter that still shows DJ in the top 10!

I'm not a fan of the team concept either, though enjoyed the 2 matchplay format rounds. It takes up too much space on the screen and the commentators push it far too much - obviously directed to do so. But it's obviously a differentiator and a likely future funding method, so I'm sure it'll stay or even expand.

Where was DJ in the world rankings before he went to LiV?

Ian_George

Visit site
How many points would the liv players theoretically gain with a small field and fairly shallow pool of players.

Is it unfair that lesser players have a big chance at gaining plenty of points against short fields.

Who at LIV has played well through the current series to justify moving up in the world rankings?
I believe @VC606 on Twitter maintains a table of LIV rankings on https://datagolf.com/datagolf-rankings parallel to the OWGR with this Tweet from Robopz showing status as at 23 Oct.

On datagolf's ranking (the green one), 4 LIV players ranked in the top 100 would be significantly (more than 10 places better off) if LIV was awarded points in his ranking system. Nieman would go up 8 to 14 and Smith wold drop 5 ! More of those LIV players in the top 150 OWGR would actually drop by more than they have by simply not played (equivalent to as per OWGR).

The high ranked players that would benefit most were Nieman, Johnson, Casey, Garcia and Westwood. All this implies that the entire argument for LIV getting OWGR points is, at least for the next couple of years, is, with the current field simply another disruption and there is no great hurry for the OWGR to rush any assessment through!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

It's obvious to most of us that DJ isn't the 31st best player in world golf. He's easily in the top ten, at the worst.
But he chose to join a tour that didn't qualify for points. As such, no matter whether he, or one of his compatriots on the LIV tour, believes he should get points, he just doesn't.

Once the LIV tour changes enough to meet the criteria for points already set out, he will get points, and hopefully his rankings will improve. After all he is the class act, golf-wise, on that tour.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

Very few. But they should be getting something. I would still say harder to win a Kornferry tournament, guven the number if players. Half the LIV field is basically Kornferry level anyway, but having a third of the field obviously triples ones chance of a win in LIV, so 1/3 of the points feels about right.

They cant get high points or anything like even a weak week on the pgat. That would have the opposite effect of what we have today where they are sinking. DJ, Bryson, Smith and a handful of others, would be sharing around easy wins and sustaining ranking positions they wouldnt merit.
If LIV gets a few more top 50 players, though that is looking increasingly unlikely with every passing day, then maybe half Kornferry points would be about the correct rating. Sure, there are 20 players there that are way above Kornferry level, but the numbers are just too low.

D

Deleted member 29109

It's obvious to most of us that DJ isn't the 31st best player in world golf. He's easily in the top ten, at the worst.
But he chose to join a tour that didn't qualify for points. As such, no matter whether he, or one of his compatriots on the LIV tour, believes he should get points, he just doesn't.

Once the LIV tour changes enough to meet the criteria for points already set out, he will get points, and hopefully his rankings will improve. After all he is the class act, golf-wise, on that tour.

DJ wasn’t in the top 10 when he joined LiV. Has he really done enough to clime into the top 10 since?

Personally, I don’t think so

Ian_George

Visit site

As a winner of The Masters and The US Open, falling down the OWGR rankings won't affect him for a number of years - at least not with current automatic qualification criteria.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Serious question, do you actually watch much of the PGAT? Because there are nearly 50 tournaments it has always had several tiers. I struggle with why people can't just understand the models are different.
It's easy to do as you just have done and cherry pick from a top tier event "a win if there are 20+ of the worlds top 30" - just as it would be easy for someone to cherry pick a non top tier event, like perhaps this week where there are no players in the top 40. I just don't see the point in it.
The PGAT will vary each week, the liv will likely stay pretty similar. There are just different. ?‍♂️
Did mean to answer you here.

I watch to some extent, about 15 pgat tournaments a year. Mainly the high profile ones, and I dont watch the ones with few or none of the worlds top 20.
No fixed pattern, but typically an hour or two of Thursday and/or Friday. At whatever time in the evening suits me. Dip in and out.
10 out of the 15 times, I will watch the last 2 hours of Saturday, and most of those 15, the last 2 hours of Sunday. But sometimes can see a bit of Thursday or Friday, and not see the weekend play. I dont make it my business to be sure to watch them. For the Players, Memorial, Fedex, quite possibly 3 or 4 hours, to the finish on a Sunday. The 4 majors in addition to the above where I would watch a lot.
I will watch about 10 LPGA tournaments, though fewer hours than above each, and that includes their majors.
And about 6 World tour events. But the daytime golf just doesnt suit me as the evenings, and the fields are weaker.

D

Deleted member 1147

DJ wasn’t in the top 10 when he joined LiV. Has he really done enough to clime into the top 10 since?

Yes, as he's been the most successful player in LIV, and no doubt would have done pretty well if on the PGA tour.

Ian_George

Visit site

To me, he's been the outstanding player of LIV! The 'alternative' ranking I referred to in an earlier post indicates he has gone up the ranking (to 7) since joining LIV, and that's while only playing 7 tournaments and 3 majors.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes, as he's been the most successful player in LIV, and no doubt would have done pretty well if on the PGA tour.
He must be. He has been competing against mighty golfers like Westwood, Poulter, Mickleson and Garcia, and the extremely in form Brooks and Bryson.

Let's us not forget all the others, most of who are that incredible at golf that I don't know / can't remember their names.

We don't need to worry about the small fact he has not been in direct competition with most of the guys that were in the top 10, and those just outside it, when he left for LIV. Let us just say he is back in top 10 and forget about the guys we place behind him.

D

Deleted member 1147

He must be. He has been competing against mighty golfers like Westwood, Poulter, Mickleson and Garcia, and the extremely in form Brooks and Bryson.

Let's us not forget all the others, most of who are that incredible at golf that I don't know / can't remember their names.

We don't need to worry about the small fact he has not been in direct competition with most of the guys that were in the top 10, and those just outside it, when he left for LIV. Let us just say he is back in top 10 and forget about the guys we place behind him.
Eh?

Ian_George

Visit site

H'mm! You seem to be showing your anti-LIV bias!
Try checking the ranking on datagolf.com! It uses a slightly different method to OWGR, but is independent and includes LIV players and tournaments.

Swango1980

Visit site
H'mm! You seem to be showing your anti-LIV bias!
Try checking the ranking on datagolf.com! It uses a slightly different method to OWGR, but is independent and includes LIV players and tournaments.
Yes, I'm not a fan of LIV. But, my serious point was that just because he has done well on LIV, does not mean he is definitively in the Top 10 golfers in the world. Any ranking system is going to struggle, when LIV players are not really competing against most of the other top players in the world.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Yes, I'm not a fan of LIV. But, my serious point was that just because he has done well on LIV, does not mean he is definitively in the Top 10 golfers in the world. Any ranking system is going to struggle, when LIV players are not really competing against most of the other top players in the world.
Just so we are clear, as the OWGR ranks players across 23 tours and clearly most top players will not be playing in all these tours at the same time, you must believe the OWGR struggles generally?