LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Thanks
Interestingly they quoted Data Golf - which is the site a frequent poster has shared a couple of times ;)
So in part this may be about who is correct, OWGR, or Data Golf (reality neither are, they are just interpretations)

I looked back at 2018 on OWGR just to see how different it was a few years back
US PGA 912
The Open 902
US Open 855
Players 854
Masters 794

And pasted the 2022 back in
US PGA 876
The Open 871
US Open 830
Players 806
Masters 785

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Somehow this post from July popped up as 'new'!
But to comment on the Masters v Players difference in Field Strength....Remember that previous Masters winners get lifetime exemption. The inclusion of uncompetitive previous winners - such as Sandy Lyle - would likely distort the field strength. The SOF numbers DO suggest The Players '5th Major' status could well be justified.
Oh yeah, I think many know why the Masters is the 'weakest' - they do their own thing. believe the gambling fraternity refer to it as the easiest one to bet on.
Will be interesting to see the order in 2023 though - a few unknowns still.

cleveland52

Visit site
Great, comparing your beloved LIV to the Butterfield Bermuda Championship.

For the sake of balance, out of a field of 132, there appear to be 10 Sponsor Exemptions and 1 Commissioner's exemption, meaning 121 players have had to qualify by other means. I've personally no issues with having a limited number of invites in any competition, it gives a chance for the locals to see some local players for one. The guy in his 60's is from Bermuda I believe. I know nothing about him, but perhaps he is quite big in Bermuda.

Remind me, do LIV have around 121 players per event that have had to qualify without being invited?
Agreed 100%.....But trying to explain sponsor exemptions to LIV fans is futile.

D

Deleted member 21445

Wouldn't be tatally surprised to see Phil M take out Cam Smith tonight.
Last 2 events PM has been playing a lot better with a couple of destructive holes killing his score that won't be as penalising in Matchplay.

If I was putting my mortgage on it though I'd be defo backing the wispy moustached Aussie.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I don't think Greg Norman reads the forum mate, he's probably not going to give you a job - despite your apparent best efforts to be recruited. ;)

To be fair, there were a few on here that were that convinced I was on the LIV payroll a few months back, they got the admins to message me asking if that was the case.

I might see if I can volunteer at next year UK event, that's about as close as I'll ever get. ;-)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Haters are going to hate no mater what....

No, the hate for LIV as a negative element for professional golf entertainment has been well explained here and cogent reasons presented several times. The cheap 'no mater what' jibe suggests the poor reception for the LIV come from a brainless rejection of it for no reason. But that not the case. And the jibe suggests a lack of solid ground to reject the criticisms in a more reasoned and grown up manner. The overall position, whatever the problems or weaknesses of other tours, is the LIV has added nothing, but created a split in the top ranks that reduces the quality of golf competition and entertainment provided to fans.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
No, the hate for LIV as a negative element for professional golf entertainment has been well explained here and cogent reasons presented several times. The cheap 'no mater what' jibe suggests the poor reception for the LIV come from a brainless rejection of it for no reason. But that not the case. And the jibe suggests a lack of solid ground to reject the criticisms in a more reasoned and grown up manner. The overall position, whatever the problems or weaknesses of other tours, is the LIV has added nothing, but created a split in the top ranks that reduces the quality of golf competition and entertainment provided to fans.

Bottom line is this Backsticks, forums are generally occupied by the older demographic. This forum will be no different. Old people generally aren't happy with LIV - but to suggest it has added nothing is a complete fallacy. For me, and many others, it's a welcome change, and indeed an improvement on a LOT of what the PGA and DP serve up.
Twitter get's mocked on here, yet it represents a platform where there is a lot more support for LIV, the younger you go with the demographic, the more support you find, and this is very important, because it means father time is on LIV's side. If the PGA tour wants to portray itself as something that appeals to 65 year old men, absolutely fine. Those people have the time to sit and watch 4 day, 72 hole tournaments if they so wish - younger people do not, and LIV satsifies that with it's shorter format.

D

Deleted member 21445

Professional Matchplay golf is so good and we rarely get to see it .
Team matchplay golf is even rarer.

Varner currently taking out Brooks and he has the bit between his teeth to prove a point 4up.
Mickleson currently 1up on Cam Smith which many may be surprised at
Poulter wants to keep his impressive pro matchplay record intact , 2up on Kevin Na
Stenson/Horsefield 4up in their 4somes
Think Poults , Stensons and Westwoods experience of singles and foursomes team play could stand the Majestiks in good stead

The Liv team format thats looked pretty lame so far finally makes sense with this team final and makes for great viewing.

I know a lot on here dont like Liv but just give this a chance and enjoy some great matchplay golf on a iconic golf course.
If not then thats fine as well by the way.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
To be fair, there were a few on here that were that convinced I was on the LIV payroll a few months back, they got the admins to message me asking if that was the case.

I might see if I can volunteer at next year UK event, that's about as close as I'll ever get. ;-)

Actually the Admins asked the question themselves as there was a growing undercurrent that nobody could be so evangelistic without benefiting in some way.

Obviously we needed to know as if there was an interest, it needed to be declared.

Happy to confirm that you have confirmed that you are not on the Liv payroll ?

D

Deleted member 21445

Wolff lost to Leishman
Tringale/wiesburger win 4somes.

All comes down to Phil M v Cam Smith
All Square with 3 to play...

Phil is loving the challenge , could go either way..
Great match with teammates coming in to support on the sidelines.

D

Deleted member 1147

Actually the Admins asked the question themselves as there was a growing undercurrent that nobody could be so evangelistic without benefiting in some way.

Obviously we needed to know as if there was an interest, it needed to be declared.

Just angling for some freebies I reckon

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Did anyone actually believe he was on the payroll?

He was obviously copy and pasting a lot from twitter and some of his longer posts were clearly written by someone else. But on the payroll? That would be an interesting marketing strategy.

Probably more like he’s hoping to generate a bit of traffic to his YouTube or somehow get someone to do some editing for him.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Lets get away from this narrative please

Mel is unpaid & unaffiliated to LIV, hes just a rather massive fanboy, with no other outlet for his enthusiasm than us
I know it sounds bonkers and many (including me fail to see the attraction), but he is genuine in his views
So lets not play the man

AussieKB

Visit site
Enjoyed the LIV at the Blue Monster a course the PGA should never have left, just like The Open leaving Turnberry and it not being on the Open rota because of politics instead of just sport.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
LIV and Trump are the perfect match ?:D

He's a businessman with a huge interest in golf, and owns some of the best golf courses in the world.
LIV is in the golf business.
They are a perfect match. (y)

He's also the current favourite to be the next president of the USA.....

D

Deleted member 1147

Enjoyed the LIV at the Blue Monster a course the PGA should never have left, just like The Open leaving Turnberry and it not being on the Open rota because of politics instead of just sport.
It was the sponsors who left.
So the PGA tour had to find someone to sponsor the event, which was only possible with a change of venue, to a non-Trump course.