LIV Golf

AussieKB

Visit site
so on his home course he shoots what ?????
good luck to him getting a start, but the bottom line should be having the best players available.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Great, comparing your beloved LIV to the Butterfield Bermuda Championship.

For the sake of balance, out of a field of 132, there appear to be 10 Sponsor Exemptions and 1 Commissioner's exemption, meaning 121 players have had to qualify by other means. I've personally no issues with having a limited number of invites in any competition, it gives a chance for the locals to see some local players for one. The guy in his 60's is from Bermuda I believe. I know nothing about him, but perhaps he is quite big in Bermuda.

Remind me, do LIV have around 121 players per event that have had to qualify without being invited?

It’s still a PGA tour event is it not?

Just like last weeks invitational no cut event…..

LIV isn’t perfect, but the vast msjority of PGA tour events are not worth watching unless you have a vested interest. I guess they’ve got to get the money in from wherever they can tho…

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
That may well have been his point? Outside LIV, the PGA Tour and other tour events are all open to absolutely everyone, so long as they prove they are good enough and qualify.

LIV isn't. So, the joke was, I suspect, if you only need to rely on getting an invite to LIV, try and get friendly with GN and get invited. Sure, if you are a bad golfer, good luck with that. But, Ali Dia managed to convince Southampton manager Graeme Souness he was the cousin of George Weah, and was given a contract on the back of it. He was abysmal. So, perhaps if you tell GN you are the half brother of Rory McIlroy, you might have a chance to get on LIV. GN would love to think he is getting one over McIlroy by employing a family member :)
Yesh thanks for trying to work it out, unfortunately I don't have 'the gift' and could only go based on what was written.

I'd still suggest the part in bold is inaccurate, in fact I think you prove that in this post...
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2561440

Invitations have been part of professional golf for many decades, it has never been this pure absolute sporting perfection that is suddenly being held up. Not saying that shouldn't be the goal, but be realistic.

Also it is worth calling out, as a startup it appeared to be a scramble to find players willing to take the risk. Are you really saying back in June GN that was turning lots of players away?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s still a PGA tour event is it not?

Just like last weeks invitational no cut event…..

LIV isn’t perfect, but the vast msjority of PGA tour events are not worth watching unless you have a vested interest. I guess they’ve got to get the money in from wherever they can tho…

Or to put it another way...."PGA Tour isn't perfect, but the vast majority of LIV tour events are not worth watching unless you have a vested interest"

I've tried, but watching a bunch of overpaid egomaniacs play social golf really doesn't push my buttons.

Ian_George

Visit site
A bloke in his 60’s has just shot an 89 in a PGA tour event…..
So what! He almost certainly won't make the cut then! Unlike.....:rolleyes:
so on his home course he shoots what ?????
good luck to him getting a start, but the bottom line should be having the best players available.
I'd be willing to bet that it IS his home course!

Good to see Tommy-2-gloves playing in it, though he WD-ed. Haven't seen mention of him for a while - with last ref wasn't complimentary!

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So this years Players will not have the Champion defending, not a good look in my opinion, but expect nothing less from the PGA.

Well the current champion clearly isn't bothered about defending it as it is his actions that have brought this about. Dress it up anyway you like but there's only one person to blame for the fact that Cameron Smith can't defend the Players Championship next year, and that's Cameron Smith.

AussieKB

Visit site
Well the current champion clearly isn't bothered about defending it as it is his actions that have brought this about. Dress it up anyway you like but there's only one person to blame for the fact that Cameron Smith can't defend the Players Championship next year, and that's Cameron Smith.
Haters are going to hate no mater what....

Swango1980

Visit site
Yesh thanks for trying to work it out, unfortunately I don't have 'the gift' and could only go based on what was written.

I'd still suggest the part in bold is inaccurate, in fact I think you prove that in this post...
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2561440

Invitations have been part of professional golf for many decades, it has never been this pure absolute sporting perfection that is suddenly being held up. Not saying that shouldn't be the goal, but be realistic.

Also it is worth calling out, as a startup it appeared to be a scramble to find players willing to take the risk. Are you really saying back in June GN that was turning lots of players away?
But, the bit in bold was correct. The PGA events ARE open to absolutely everybody, so long as they are good enough to qualify. Just because some spots may get taken up by invites, doesn't make that statement untrue. I didn't say every single place in a field of over 130 must qualify, just that if you are good enough, you will qualify. Perhaps I should have enforced this with - the vast majority of spots are open to absolutely anyone if they are good enough

BubbaP

Visit site
I'm not sure entirely, however:

The field in the Players between 2011-2017 was evaluated, and the quality of the field, on average, was higer than any of the 4 Majors. This was particularly true for the bottom 25% of the field, as the selection criteria is so stringent.

So, I'm guessing that there was not really a logical reason to award fewer points at the Players in comparison to the Majors?
I'd be interested in a link for that if you have it

For 2022, The Players was only higher than the Masters.
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2525440

BubbaP

Visit site
But, the bit in bold was correct. The PGA events ARE open to absolutely everybody, so long as they are good enough to qualify. Just because some spots may get taken up by invites, doesn't make that statement untrue. I didn't say every single place in a field of over 130 must qualify, just that if you are good enough, you will qualify. Perhaps I should have enforced this with - the vast majority of spots are open to absolutely anyone if they are good enough
I know what you are trying to say but will respectively disagree. The "enforced" bit is better worded, yes.

As a reminder though - the person in question was actually female - "open to absolutely everybody" :eek:

https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2560787

Swango1980

Visit site
I know what you are trying to say but will respectively disagree. The "enforced" bit is better worded, yes.

As a reminder though - the person in question was actually female - "open to absolutely everybody" :eek:

https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2560787
Yes, that bit came in a secondary post, which of course made the original irrelevant. I was simply responding generally, from a male participation perspective. Whether females should be allowed to play in any is a completely different topic :)

BubbaP

Visit site
On the basis the 'battle lines' were already well drawn when he went, then have to agree with this. Although there are often shades of grey between the black & white..

Ian_George

Visit site
As thread has morphed into general professional golf admin etc., had a look for 2022 ogwr, strength of field calcs

The Open 871
US Open 830
US PGA 876
Masters 785

Players 806

The OGWR have a rule in place that the winner receives 100 points for the 'majors', irrespective of field.
Also the Players receives 80 points.

Apparently these caveats remain when the system changes next month.

The PGAT have been banging the "5th major" for some time now, and can see based on the field that they may be privately irked by the Masters love in.

However, as mentioned previously, the current ban position may hurt the Players field next year.

Somehow this post from July popped up as 'new'!
But to comment on the Masters v Players difference in Field Strength....Remember that previous Masters winners get lifetime exemption. The inclusion of uncompetitive previous winners - such as Sandy Lyle - would likely distort the field strength. The SOF numbers DO suggest The Players '5th Major' status could well be justified.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Haters are going to hate no mater what....

Really? I’d hoped for better than that tired old retort.

It’s no more business of mine where Cam Smith earns his coin than it is Cam Smith’s business where I earn mine. And I haven’t got any issue with him going to LIV; it’s entirely his choice and I understand why some of them go. I’d prefer to see him more regularly but I respect his right to earn his money from whichever employer he sees fit.

But we both need to understand our terms of employment; I understand that if I decide to go and work for someone else then my current employer has the right to terminate my contract and ban me from his premises, maybe even give me a bad reference. A number of LIV players seem to think that this doesn’t apply to them. I’m not a hater, I just have a slightly better grasp of reality than some of those (and I’m not suggesting that Smith is one of these) trying to have their cake and eat it.

The situation you are trying to defend is akin to a man ignoring the warning signs and sticking his hand in a lion’s cage then blaming the lion for biting it.

D

Deleted member 21445

I might be wrong but I dont think I have ever heard Cameron Smith say that he should be at Sawgrass defending his title?