LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yes, if you have free tickets and are in the area, worth going along. Its like a pro-am or golf clinic, the only reason to watch it is if you are on the spot, which is why anyone watching it is likely to be there rather than on a screen. Still worth seeing those guys hit a ball even if it isnt really a tournament, but the appeal will be very limited.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
If I was nearby id go. It'll be near indistinguishable from any other golf tournament, you walk around abit, see some players you think you know hit ball, then find a spot you like and watch some famous players go by. All this with nearly zero appreciation if whats going on in the tournament as a whole.

If you care whats going on, watch on you tube, if you want to see live sport and better appreciate the foibles of the course, go to the venue.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Yes, if you have free tickets and are in the area, worth going along. Its like a pro-am or golf clinic, the only reason to watch it is if you are on the spot, which is why anyone watching it is likely to be there rather than on a screen. Still worth seeing those guys hit a ball even if it isnt really a tournament, but the appeal will be very limited.

I've obviously taken a keen interest in this series, been across it on loads of social media platforms, and I've seen loads of people commenting in it, and there is a HUGE interest in it. Granted it's going to get off to a slower start than they'd probably hoped, but by the time they've held a few events over in America, I expect the organisers will be finding their feet, and dialling out the problems, and we will be seeing plenty of people showing up at the events as well as watching on TV.

It's still very much a tournament, with a very worthwhile prize. Just because the field isn't stacked full of the the best crop of current golfers, doesn't mean it won't be competetive.

D

Deleted member 29109

I've obviously taken a keen interest in this series, been across it on loads of social media platforms, and I've seen loads of people commenting in it, and there is a HUGE interest in it. Granted it's going to get off to a slower start than they'd probably hoped, but by the time they've held a few events over in America, I expect the organisers will be finding their feet, and dialling out the problems, and we will be seeing plenty of people showing up at the events as well as watching on TV.

It's still very much a tournament, with a very worthwhile prize. Just because the field isn't stacked full of the the best crop of current golfers, doesn't mean it won't be competetive.

So much interest they are having to give away tickets because no one is buying them ??‍♂️

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
To be honest, we're probably a bit protected in the uk. The only real tournaments we have are the open and recently the british masters, which are established and well supported. Though the british masters was giving away tickets for a few years too.

If you look at the average day to day pga tour event, its pretty clear gate reciepts aren't paying anybodies appearance fees...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have sat back and watched this develop with interest and have reached the conclusion that neither side of this are ideal. As others have said, I would love to see high level golf played in a competition across the world. There are too many great courses and too many countries with an avid golf fanbase to think that a majority of the important events or events with high end fields should be limited to one country or even one continent. As such, the protectionist approach of the PGA that has ensured that other national tours remian in the shadows is not something that I am keen on. At present, everything else is a feeder tour for the PGA tour and that is not an ideal situation. That said, the source of funding and backing of the new tour is always going to be a concern that would make it difficult to support this new endeavour morally. That then begs the question as to who else could even fund a potential breakaway tour. Not sure any country or individual willing to back it with the funding necessary would be morally clean.

It is a tough situation but i do feel that something needs to be done if people are to see golf played at the highest level globally.

Springveldt

Visit site
So much interest they are having to give away tickets because no one is buying them ??‍♂️
To be fair, for a new start-up who everyone keeps saying is flush with money they really dropped the ball trying to charge people £65 to get in. They should have been giving them away for free from the get go to drum up interest.

Also, I've seen a fair few people say "there's no tv coverage, it's only on YouTube" like that's a bad thing. Broadcasting for free on YouTube is a massive plus in my eyes. Not stuck behind the SKY Sports paywall while giving instant access to everyone. YouTube is massive, it's a great place to get people interested in your product.

If it's true that the Saudi's have committed to this for 10 years and they keep targeting the top talent coming out of the US college system (like they have the US Amateur champion this year), it might be interesting in a 5 years time or so as they will have pinched 10-15 of the top talent coming through. If I was coming out of college and LIV are offering me $250K per start in a 48 man field with $3M for the winner or the PGA where offering me a couple of exemptions and a year on the Korn Ferry I know which one I would be taking.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair, for a new start-up who everyone keeps saying is flush with money they really dropped the ball trying to charge people £65 to get in. They should have been giving them away for free from the get go to drum up interest.

Also, I've seen a fair few people say "there's no tv coverage, it's only on YouTube" like that's a bad thing. Broadcasting for free on YouTube is a massive plus in my eyes. Not stuck behind the SKY Sports paywall while giving instant access to everyone. YouTube is massive, it's a great place to get people interested in your product.

If it's true that the Saudi's have committed to this for 10 years and they keep targeting the top talent coming out of the US college system (like they have the US Amateur champion this year), it might be interesting in a 5 years time or so as they will have pinched 10-15 of the top talent coming through. If I was coming out of college and LIV are offering me $250K per start in a 48 man field with $3M for the winner or the PGA where offering me a couple of exemptions and a year on the Korn Ferry I know which one I would be taking.
Those people, and there are plenty, clearly know little about viewing habits of the u'25's in particular, maybe even u'30's. It also ignores your point about not being stuck behind a paywall. Anyone can watch. people just need to adapt their mindset, as the young have already done.

Jason.H

Visit site
I have sat back and watched this develop with interest and have reached the conclusion that neither side of this are ideal. As others have said, I would love to see high level golf played in a competition across the world. There are too many great courses and too many countries with an avid golf fanbase to think that a majority of the important events or events with high end fields should be limited to one country or even one continent. As such, the protectionist approach of the PGA that has ensured that other national tours remian in the shadows is not something that I am keen on. At present, everything else is a feeder tour for the PGA tour and that is not an ideal situation. That said, the source of funding and backing of the new tour is always going to be a concern that would make it difficult to support this new endeavour morally. That then begs the question as to who else could even fund a potential breakaway tour. Not sure any country or individual willing to back it with the funding necessary would be morally clean.

It is a tough situation but i do feel that something needs to be done if people are to see golf played at the highest level globally.

It’s a shame the European tour has turned into a PGA feeder. I went to the British Masters on the Thursday and it was so quiet. Great as a spectator getting close to the action. Such a popular sport in the uk but people need to attend and support it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s a shame the European tour has turned into a PGA feeder. I went to the British Masters on the Thursday and it was so quiet. Great as a spectator getting close to the action. Such a popular sport in the uk but people need to attend and support it.

The problem as I see it is that the old stalwarts of these events are now past their prime and there is nobody playing in Europe to replace them to attract the crowds. The big names are all on the PGA tour now and clearly the PGA tour is not willing to share for the good of the global game.

Springveldt

Visit site
Those people, and there are plenty, clearly know little about viewing habits of the u'25's in particular, maybe even u'30's. It also ignores your point about not being stuck behind a paywall. Anyone can watch. people just need to adapt their mindset, as the young have already done.
Agreed. My kids don't watch TV, they only watch streaming services, especially on their phone or iPad. My daughter has a TV bed with a 32" LG 1080p TV in it but lies in bed watching Netflix or Disney+ on her iPhone.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Even beyond that, I’m 51 and everything I watch is on You Tube, phone, laptop or through the Firestick on the TV. I know of plenty of people from my generation who do similar.
It’s been said before but You Tube is the future. They’re even trying to pass a bill in Canada to make it difficult for creators to air their content. You can guarantee that’s been instigated by the tv broadcasters.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I have to say I'm surprised how clean the pga have come out of this, they strip players from every tour, using money. America's human rights record is hardly exemplary though admittedly slightly better than saudi..., and the way they've swallowed up the euro tour is frankly despicable. They've plundered money from regimes worse than Saudis behind a laughable grow the game banner. Anybody remember the 20 year deal they have with china that landed them in tax trouble given there charity status.... no? I wonder why....

I'm no supporter of the LIV. But cant help feeling I'm only getting one side of the story here...

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Just saw a potentially made up fact on facebook.

If the pga tour members are not allowed to play on LIV, then it may be impossible to classify them as independent contractors, meaning PGA tour would become liable for employee tax...

As i say, facebook science so could be cobblers...

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The problem as I see it is that the old stalwarts of these events are now past their prime and there is nobody playing in Europe to replace them to attract the crowds. The big names are all on the PGA tour now and clearly the PGA tour is not willing to share for the good of the global game.
Too much of a disconnect between the real thing we watch on TV, which also has the advantage of being evening viewing for us, and the lower division players on offer on the DP now. When the field quality was top drawer, in the days of Seve, Monty, Langer, Faldo, Woosnam etc, it was a different prospect. So DP up against it. Cant blame the PGA Tour for that though. They have their thing and are going to protect it. Tiger was the unstoppable trump card that ended it as any contest between the two tours. PGA Tour has no responsibility to the global game - no should they. And not sure that the global game, whatever that really is, is affected one way or another by its geographical concentration in the US. If anything, I prefer the time zone advantage and get to watch more of it at a time that suits me.

D

Deleted member 29109

If the pga tour members are not allowed to play on LIV, then it may be impossible to classify them as independent contractors, meaning PGA tour would become liable for employee tax...

There is nothing stopping players playing in LIV events as independent contractors. Just they won’t be allowed to play on the PGA Tour again.

The players signed up to the rules set out by the various tours. They know the consequences for breaking them. That’s their choice as an independent contractor!

The ONLY reason any of them are playing the LIV event is for the money. They wouldn’t be anywhere near it otherwise. I have no problem with that, in fact I’d probably do the same for the sums on offer. It’s the ?? reasons they are coming out with that I don’t like.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
There is nothing stopping players playing in LIV events as independent contractors. Just they won’t be allowed to play on the PGA Tour again.

The players signed up to the rules set out by the various tours. They know the consequences for breaking them. That’s their choice as an independent contractor!

The ONLY reason any of them are playing the LIV event is for the money. They wouldn’t be anywhere near it otherwise. I have no problem with that, in fact I’d probably do the same for the sums on offer. It’s the ?? reasons they are coming out with that I don’t like.

Isnt that why they all turn pro and play golf though? Its always about the money... Yes some silverware along the way but the average tour pro doesnt win often do they!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Potentially more reliable than this forum for true facts