LIV Golf

Springveldt

Visit site
Isnt that why they all turn pro and play golf though? Its always about the money... Yes some silverware along the way but the average tour pro doesnt win often do they!
Of course not. It's not about the money, they all just love to "compete". It's this competing that they love and the millions upon millions are just an afterthought. /s

I'd love to hear the real thoughts of the guys that are 90-125 on the tour every year scrapping for their cards. I bet they would love some silverware simply because it comes with a couple of million dollars and a 2 year exemption.

D

Deleted member 29109

The final leaderboard yesterday was practically all American. That isn’t good for golf, and if the PGA are trying to widen their net, there isn’t much evidence of it as yet.

7 of the top 20 were from other countries. That’s not what I would call practically all American.

There is nothing to stop anyone trying to gain a PGA tour card, is there?

The PGA tour must be the most watched and recognised tour on the planet. Is it perfect, probably not. Is any sport organised perfectly? He’ll no.

And they play all over the continent. Which is about the same as the European tour playing in different European countries.

Jason.H

Visit site
Look at the LPGA there wasn’t many Americans in the top 20. The mens side is strong more to do with their college systems I guess

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Look at the LPGA there wasn’t many Americans in the top 20. The mens side is strong more to do with their college systems I guess

Son of my clubs owners is heading over to the states soon to start his US Golf College Scholarship. When talking to him, considering hes off +1ish currently, I think hes one of the "worse" players in his team. Insanely high standards of golf in the US college system

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
The ONLY reason any of them are playing the LIV event is for the money. They wouldn’t be anywhere near it otherwise. I have no problem with that, in fact I’d probably do the same for the sums on offer. It’s the ?? reasons they are coming out with that I don’t like.
Of course it is, (Norman is saying it is a big money event that could change a young golf pro's life), and for most of the worlds population everything is ultimately about the money, it's why we go to work and how we spend.
Some of us though, care about where the money is coming from, others don't give a toss so long as its the right colour and denomination.
What next, The Columbian Series played at Medellin and Bogota Golf and Country Clubs, proudly supported by The Gulf Clan and friends of Escobar, in a guise to grow the game in South America?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Mel Smooth said:
The final leaderboard yesterday was practically all American. That isn’t good for golf, and if the PGA are trying to widen their net, there isn’t much evidence of it as yet.

7 of the top 20 were from other countries. That’s not what I would call practically all American.

It makes no difference to golf how many are American. It is the elite of the elite of the professional game and has no effect on wider golf. And while it is not practically all American as observed, nor ever is - golf must be one of the most globally represented sports in the world - what it clearly is, is the best. Whoever can make it into that top division, and whoever can put themselves on the top of the leaderboard, has the opportunity to do so. So sporting credibility that they are the best of the best is unarguable. Which is the crucial hole below the waterline in the LIV venture. It is part second division, part players over the hill who are proven to no longer cut it at the summit, and a few others lured by the money. A grande melange of Kornferry/Champions/Unknowns/NeverMadeItOnThePGATour. Everyone knows, the real golf is elsewhere.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
And spin it as they might, there is no question but that playing through Youtube is low rent stuff. Effectively shunned by the mainstream media, whether due to cost (hardly - it would seem they are turning down what would be free), political hot potato, not wanting to sour relationships with the established tours when they have no beef with them to begin with, or, just recognising that it isnt a genuinely competitive credible sporting proposition.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
And spin it as they might, there is no question but that playing through Youtube is low rent stuff. Effectively shunned by the mainstream media, whether due to cost (hardly - it would seem they are turning down what would be free), political hot potato, not wanting to sour relationships with the established tours when they have no beef with them to begin with, or, just recognising that it isnt a genuinely competitive credible sporting proposition.

I think most of the "spin" is coming from the pro PGA stance tbh.

If being able to watch golf anywhere on the planet on any device, is going to be framed as a negative to beat the series with, then they will never win some naysayers over.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Apparently there will be an imminent announcement that Phil and Rickie will be joining LIV...
Obviously not surprised by Phil and Rickie taking the money and running makes sense for him as he misses more cuts than he makes these days...

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The whole thing is just vulgar now........:sick:

Why ? I see nothing wrong with it at all. It is competition for the services of sportsmen between two bodies. On the one hand they will earn a fortune, play competitive golf, and have the chance to write themselves into the history of great golfers. On the other, earn an even greater and more secure fortune, simply have to hit the ball without any pressure or concern for their form or score, but forsake the thrill and drive to be true sportsmen and win. Some prefer one, some the other. To each his own. As long as the genuinely top rank golfers stay with the former, there is no disruption to the serious golf world, and the Harlem Globe Trotters/BuffaloBillWildWest circus can do its thing.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tiger, reportedly, offered "high 9 digits" to join LIV
He's turned it down....
The whole thing is just vulgar now........:sick:

If DJ was paid $150m (reportedly) then Tiger would have been way more given the pull he has.