LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Tiger, reportedly, offered "high 9 digits" to join LIV
He's turned it down....
The whole thing is just vulgar now........:sick:
I doubt Tiger is looking for a big pay day. Hasn't done for years. Even when he was fit, he was very conservative about what events he played

He has massively more money than he will ever need, and his brand is likely to continue making loads of money after he retires.

What is important to him will be his legacy, given how much he has won on the PGA Tour and all his Major wins. So, I can't see how any amount of money would make him potentially tarnish that legacy.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I doubt Tiger is looking for a big pay day. Hasn't done for years. Even when he was fit, he was very conservative about what events he played

He has massively more money than he will ever need, and his brand is likely to continue making loads of money after he retires.

What is important to him will be his legacy, given how much he has won on the PGA Tour and all his Major wins. So, I can't see how any amount of money would make him potentially tarnish that legacy.
Agree with the 'hasn't done for years' qualification. He was a bit of a leader back in the day...

"As with so many other aspects of golf, Woods probably settled that argument back in 2000 when he played in the Deutsche Bank-SAP Open TPC of Europe in Hamburg, Germany. Woods played for a reported $1 million fee, probably the first seven-figure appearance fee in golf history."

More than double the winners prize at the time.

Swango1980

Visit site
Phil Mickleson confirmed, and reportedly given 200 million. Talking of Tiger, that is more than Tiger has won in his career on the PGA Tour (according to the reporter on Sky)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of talk about penalties/punishments for players that play in the LIV event. The flip side being people are claiming that if the players are punished/banned from the PGA tour then they are employees rather than contractors and as a result they would have to get employee rights.

As I understand it, players sign up to play on the PGA tour, and as part of that they agree not to play on any competing tours. If a player plays on a rival tour then they have breached that part of their contract and are no longer part of the PGA tour. As such they wouldn't need to be banned as they would no longer be eligible for the PGA tour events. Or is there something that I'm missing?

AussieKB

Visit site
Son of my clubs owners is heading over to the states soon to start his US Golf College Scholarship. When talking to him, considering hes off +1ish currently, I think hes one of the "worse" players in his team. Insanely high standards of golf in the US college system
Their handicaps are mostly false, a player from our club in Australia went to Alabama, he had the worst handicap of the team but played number one, told me that most could not break par but were all plus handicaps.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Great opportunity here now for the DP World Tour - or some of the others - to bolster their positions by picking up the players that have gone to the LIV series and are quitting the PGA Tour.

I guess they will all now play (alongside the LIV) as and when it suits them, when either the appearance money, or the prize money on offer is enough to tempt them.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Great opportunity here now for the DP World Tour - or some of the others - to bolster their positions by picking up the players that have gone to the LIV series and are quitting the PGA Tour.

I guess they will all now play (alongside the LIV) as and when it suits them, when either the appearance money, or the prize money on offer is enough to tempt them.

Opportunity is there, but I doubt the big players will be turning up, the travel is horrendous. Theyll be happy with the 7 in us, 4 majors, maybe WGC?

Smaller field fillers have no option, if the pga stick by their guns then you'd assume the pga is a closed door - saying that, it's a bit of a grind getting to the pga anyway if your outside the top 50...

I think given the demographic of the top players, a US base is too big an advantage to overcome...

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Opportunity is there, but I doubt the big players will be turning up, the travel is horrendous. Theyll be happy with the 7 in us, 4 majors, maybe WGC?

Smaller field fillers have no option, if the pga stick by their guns then you'd assume the pga is a closed door - saying that, it's a bit of a grind getting to the pga anyway if your outside the top 50...

I think given the demographic of the top players, a US base is too big an advantage to overcome...

Maybe, but the series will generate it's own stars in it's own right, these guys might be more than happy to pop up on other tours, instead of the PGA where they have been blackballed.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Maybe, but the series will generate it's own stars in it's own right, these guys might be more than happy to pop up on other tours, instead of the PGA where they have been blackballed.
Thats a few years down the line, at the moment it looks very much like the BDO vs the PDC. For the foreseeable future the LIV world champion will be a PGA also ran....

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Thats a few years down the line, at the moment it looks very much like the BDO vs the PDC. For the foreseeable future the LIV world champion will be a PGA also ran....

I just hope a relative unknown wins it, I want to see some random caddy walking away with more money than everybdody finishing outside the top ten in Canada. :ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
I just hope a relative unknown wins it, I want to see some random caddy walking away with more money than everybdody finishing outside the top ten in Canada. :ROFLMAO:
Interesting point about caddies. People are hung up on the greed of the players by playing in LIV. As has been pointed out, this is probably not true for many players, as they are not guaranteed having success on PGA Tour anyway.

However, for those more successful players, who have already earned a good amount, being on the LIV could be life changing for their caddies (and maybe others they enploy). So, some may not he making an overly selfish decision, but thinking of those they work with. If a caddy gets 10%, I think they are guaranteed anything from $25,000 to $400,000.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Interesting point about caddies. People are hung up on the greed of the players by playing in LIV. As has been pointed out, this is probably not true for many players, as they are not guaranteed having success on PGA Tour anyway.

However, for those more successful players, who have already earned a good amount, being on the LIV could be life changing for their caddies (and maybe others they enploy). So, some may not he making an overly selfish decision, but thinking of those they work with. If a caddy gets 10%, I think they are guaranteed anything from $25,000 to $400,000.

Of course, we tend to focus on the huge figures on offer for the top players - but some of these other guys will have had massive support from friends and family to get them into this position. I'm sure a lot of them are looking forward to being able to reward that debt of gratitude once the pay checks start coming through for them.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Of course, we tend to focus on the huge figures on offer for the top players - but some of these other guys will have had massive support from friends and family to get them into this position. I'm sure a lot of them are looking forward to being able to reward that debt of gratitude once the pay checks start coming through for them.

Yea right :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: