LIV Golf

Springveldt

Visit site
It will stay that way - players looking to gain quick money and players who’s career in on the way down

The events will miss a key ingredient for many of the current top golfers - ranking points , the ranking points that get golfers into the majors and WGCs etc.
I can see a lot of the top amateur/college players wanting to opt for the LIV option before going onto the PGA to earn money. (can the PGA ban you if you're not a member and have never played on it?) When you have LIV offering you guaranteed money or the PGA offering you a few exemptions to try and get a card before having to go to Q School for the Korn Ferry which you have to finance yourself it just makes sense to go to LIV. Also, if you are good enough to earn your card in 6 starts, imagine just how much money you could earn playing on LIV for a couple of seasons.

And I don’t see that changing much - also don’t think it will take long for the USGA and R&A to find ways to stop the players entering The Open or US Open
Kinda defeats the point of being them being "Opens". Are they going to ban players who played in LIV events from entering qualifiers?

He could have done that on the PGA tour - but he wasn’t good enough ?‍♂️
True but who's to say he still won't develop into a better player once he doesn't have to worry about money anymore?

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Grace, Sergio. Luis and schwartzel resign from PGA tour

Can't be blocked from majors this year they have qualified

Sergio , Phil DJ qualified masters for life

The tour has the us amateur champ in it

This isn't going to die a death as quick as people want

The Masters is an Invitational tournament, so the people in charge can decide to 'amend' their criteria every year. Having said that, the history of the Masters reeks of inequality and a lack of moral compass, so there would e an element of hypocrisy in denying an invitation on the grounds that the Saudi regime denies vast swathes of people basic human rights.

I just hope this whole LIV business fails miserably. Every aspect of it, from a golfing and moral perspective, sickens me to the core.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Circular arguments aside, I'm actually looking forward to it starting - then we'll have something more solid to debate. Despite the criticism of the field, the only interest I have in the Canadian Open is that McIlroy is playing; I've no interest in the Mixed Scandi Open (what a stellar field!) so as far as my weekend golf interests go LIV is top of the list (for positive & negative reasons).

From reading through the forum pages, it is quite interesting that it seems it only presents a threat (or otherwise) to the PGA Tour - the DP World Tour is of no consequence it seems to anyone. Certainly looking at the scoreboard on Sunday afternoon past all the criticism of LIVs field could be easily pointed towards the DPWT.

I'm sure there's a way to know viewing figures, but I'd be interested to know how many viewers the DPWT gets Thursdays through Sunday - maybe a few hundred thousand? Good Good probably averages around 500k every 2 to 3 days for their Youtube content; Rick Shields close to 1m for course vlogs. I've no issue whatsoever that the upstarts are using Youtube as a platform. In fact, the BBC should have offered their broadcast capabilities.

Criticism of the field for LIV is understandable but hypocritical - a while back suggestions that Garcia, Poulter and Westwood were also rans and had no business playing the PGA Tour would have been staunchly argued, by some of the same people now asking why anyone would take a free ticket to watch to watch the likes of GMac, Poulter, Bland, Phil, DJ, Westwood, Garcia, Oosthuizen, Wiesberger, Schwarztel, Kaymer etc.

This Sunday, the 'winners' at each event (Scandinavian Mixed, Canadian Open & LIV) will be $333k, $1.5m and $4m richer respectively. Making the cut (if you have to) will mean the 'last' person to earn prizemoney will get $4.6k, $19k and $120k respectively. Around 140 players will miss the cut at these events and earn $0.

Of course only 2 of these events award ranking points..... but why would players not earning these points care? We've been told those taking part in LIV are nobodies so have no chance of winning Majors and the WGC events are really about money - the increased prizemoney compared to other events and the FED EX points (a sideshow that is about how much more money the highest earning players that year can get!).

Imagine Horsfield or Fisher or GMac (fingers crossed) winning. What do you think, genuinely, with $4m banked before team shares are added, and with another 7 equally rich events to come, will be going through their head? I'm pretty sure it won't be "I've made a terrible mistake. I've won the Barracuda Open and this is where I've ended up, what have I done?".

D

Deleted member 15344

What is the situation regarding world ranking points? Will there be any points available (albeit smaller than on PGA due to quality of the field), or are there none available at all?

There are no ranking points available

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Circular arguments aside, I'm actually looking forward to it starting - then we'll have something more solid to debate. Despite the criticism of the field, the only interest I have in the Canadian Open is that McIlroy is playing; I've no interest in the Mixed Scandi Open (what a stellar field!) so as far as my weekend golf interests go LIV is top of the list (for positive & negative reasons).

From reading through the forum pages, it is quite interesting that it seems it only presents a threat (or otherwise) to the PGA Tour - the DP World Tour is of no consequence it seems to anyone. Certainly looking at the scoreboard on Sunday afternoon past all the criticism of LIVs field could be easily pointed towards the DPWT.

I'm sure there's a way to know viewing figures, but I'd be interested to know how many viewers the DPWT gets Thursdays through Sunday - maybe a few hundred thousand? Good Good probably averages around 500k every 2 to 3 days for their Youtube content; Rick Shields close to 1m for course vlogs. I've no issue whatsoever that the upstarts are using Youtube as a platform. In fact, the BBC should have offered their broadcast capabilities.

Criticism of the field for LIV is understandable but hypocritical - a while back suggestions that Garcia, Poulter and Westwood were also rans and had no business playing the PGA Tour would have been staunchly argued, by some of the same people now asking why anyone would take a free ticket to watch to watch the likes of GMac, Poulter, Bland, Phil, DJ, Westwood, Garcia, Oosthuizen, Wiesberger, Schwarztel, Kaymer etc.

This Sunday, the 'winners' at each event (Scandinavian Mixed, Canadian Open & LIV) will be $333k, $1.5m and $4m richer respectively. Making the cut (if you have to) will mean the 'last' person to earn prizemoney will get $4.6k, $19k and $120k respectively. Around 140 players will miss the cut at these events and earn $0.

Of course only 2 of these events award ranking points..... but why would players not earning these points care? We've been told those taking part in LIV are nobodies so have no chance of winning Majors and the WGC events are really about money - the increased prizemoney compared to other events and the FED EX points (a sideshow that is about how much more money the highest earning players that year can get!).

Imagine Horsfield or Fisher or GMac (fingers crossed) winning. What do you think, genuinely, with $4m banked before team shares are added, and with another 7 equally rich events to come, will be going through their head? I'm pretty sure it won't be "I've made a terrible mistake. I've won the Barracuda Open and this is where I've ended up, what have I done?".

The sooner the DP Tour get's on board with the LIV series the better it will be for their future.

Let's all be brutally honest here now. The LIV series has knocked the DP tour into 3rd place in terms of interest. Right now, this week, the LIV is dominating the game.

Swango1980

Visit site
Which will see DJ tumble down the rankings seeing as he's resigned from the PGA Tour!!
Just seen that breaking news. It could start to make the PGA Tour look a bit Mickey Mouse. If DJ starts to show the top form he likely still possesses, the very fact he is not allowed (or felt he had to resign due to consequences) to play on the PGA Tour just diminishes from the quality of the field they like to boast about. It becomes an even bigger problem if other players start showing some quality golf on the LIV Tour.

Just seen that if a player finishes last in all 7 events of the LIV Tour, they are still guaranteed prize money of $1.5 million. I bet there are a few PGA golfers getting very twitchy at the moment, especially if they miss a few cuts in a row on the PGA.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The sooner the DP Tour get's on board with the LIV series the better it will be for their future.

Let's all be brutally honest here now. The LIV series has knocked the DP tour into 3rd place in terms of interest. Right now, this week, the LIV is dominating the game.

Need to capitalise on this though.

Event needs to run without a hiccup along the way and practise what they've been preaching!

I think World ranking points will come in time.. give it a year or so!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Need to capitalise on this though.

Event needs to run without a hiccup along the way and practise what they've been preaching!

I think World ranking points will come in time.. give it a year or so!

I think there are guaranteed hiccups and glitches, bound to happen in the 1st event.
It will make for interesting viewing - player conversartions picked up on the broadcast, completely different format to what we are used to.
Hopefully a few unknowns showing they have some serious talent.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think there are guaranteed hiccups and glitches, bound to happen in the 1st event.
It will make for interesting viewing - player conversartions picked up on the broadcast, completely different format to what we are used to.
Hopefully a few unknowns showing they have some serious talent.

Cant be the GB news of the golf world though.

With this level of investment id want the event running as smooth as a Rolls Royce

I am certainly looking forward to attending the event!

D

Deleted member 29109

Just seen that breaking news. It could start to make the PGA Tour look a bit Mickey Mouse. If DJ starts to show the top form he likely still possesses, the very fact he is not allowed (or felt he had to resign due to consequences) to play on the PGA Tour just diminishes from the quality of the field they like to boast about. It becomes an even bigger problem if other players start showing some quality golf on the LIV Tour.

Just seen that if a player finishes last in all 7 events of the LIV Tour, they are still guaranteed prize money of $1.5 million. I bet there are a few PGA golfers getting very twitchy at the moment, especially if they miss a few cuts in a row on the PGA.

How would DJ showing form make the PGA look bad?

If he doesn’t win the the first event by a good margin he’s going to look a bit silly.

And if he does win? Well, he beat a load of players that couldn’t even qualify for the KF tour. Well done!

D

Deleted member 1147

Ok, Lets see where we are on Friday evening when the PGA Tour has an event running, and the LIV series has an event running.
Ok (y) - I'll be watching the PGA tour

& for that matter, I'll watch on thurday, saturday & sunday as well.
HTH

Swango1980

Visit site

If he doesn’t win the the first event by a good margin he’s going to look a bit silly.

And if he does win? Well, he beat a load of players that couldn’t even qualify for the KF tour. Well done!
Because, if DJ shows he is still one of the world's best players, then the PGA Tour have effectively closed the door on one of the best players in the world playing on their tour. He doesn't necessarily need to win the first event. No player in the world is guaranteed to win the event if they were in the field. Great players can have poor to average weekends, poor players can have spectacular weekends. However, if he shows solid golf throughout, consistently high finishes and maybe wins the odd event, I'm sure many fans will not be so quick to rule him out as being one of the worlds best players still.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

A bit harsh, anyone can win a golf comp! Its becoming more common on the PGA tour that prizes are spreading around a bit.