LIV Golf

Barking_Mad

Visit site
2019 US Open Amateur champion, played in the Masters, and no doubt devoted his life to golf. I'm pretty sure he's trying to get better, but if you were in his position, would you persevere through a tough spell, or would you sack it off to go and work elsewhere?

People 'devote their lives' to many things greater than hitting a ball round a field, but don't get paid much either. Golfers win the US Amateur, play in the Masters and disappear into the 'golfing background' on a regular basis. Personally I like to persevere at things I like doing as the personal reward makes it worthwhile, but I suppose if the 'tough spell' so early on means he's just going to give up and chase the money, then it perhaps suggests he's not really after hte glory, just the cash - which is his prerogative.

I note Alex Fitzpatrick was offered a lot of money ($2m) , but after speaking to his brother and family turned it down. Fair play to him.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/alex-fitzpatrick-turns-down-dollar2m-to-join-saudi-league

Matt Fitzpatrick's brother Alex has turned down more than $2m in guaranteed prize money to play in the LIV Golf Invitational Series over the next two years, a Telegraph report states.

The younger Fitzpatrick brother, who attends Wake Forest University in North Carolina, was one of six of the world's best amateurs to be invited to play in the LIV Golf Invitational Series, with the Englishman being offered starts in all eight events this year as well as 10 tournaments in 2023.
Guaranteed prize money for finishing in last place is $125,000, meaning he'd earn $2.25m at the very least, and likely significantly more, from the 18 tournaments if he did say yes.

His brother Matt, the World No.18, told the Telegraph that is was a "hell of a dilemma" and he is "pleased" Alex didn't accept the invites after discussions within the Fitzpatrick family.

“I’m pleased Alex did say no,” Fitzpatrick told the Telegraph. “It was a hell of a dilemma for him. He chatted to our parents and then to me. It was a big offer and, to be honest, difficult to refuse.

“It would have been easy to take it. We don’t come from a background where there was ever money like that. So tempting. But he looked at it, where the finance was coming from and what could happen, and decided to stick to the original plan.

“He’ll turn pro when it’s the right time for him and, if his ranking improves just a bit in these next weeks on the college circuit, he will go straight to the Korn Ferry Tour. I’m glad about that. It would have been weird if he was on that league, after I’d turned it down.”
Matt also confirmed that he turned down an offer to play in the LIV Golf Invitational Series, which gets underway next month at the Centurion Club. “I didn’t even play in the Saudi events when they were on the European Tour. I’m happy with where the game is and where I am in my profession. You know, you have these ambitions and dreams, if you like. That’s all that inspires me.”

Fair play to them.

Barking_Mad

Visit site

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Youtube works for me (not a 'cool kid', far from it nearly 50 and as far from cool as you can get). Got a small Smart TV in the garage bar. Woudl not pay for an extra Sky or BT subscription to watch them in there but can easily cast my phone on to the TV and watch golf over the weekend. The more sport on subcription or ther services that I already have the better as do not watch enough to warrant the cost of BT or Sky Sport.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Perhaps, but he is still only 37 years old and he is 15th best player in the world. More than likely he is just going through one of those spells of poor form, or maybe he is carrying a minor injury. However, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that he is no longer going to be competitive (and he certainly isn't in his 40's, which would rule him out of your 1st group for the next few years anyway).

It's interesting to see the ages of the top 20 players in the world at the moment....Rory oldest in the top 10 by 3 years.

1654602423067.png

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Not really given the depth of the field.

This should be as exciting at watching a tennis tournament where realistically 3 or 4 people have a chance at winning.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/gol...-2022-dustin-johnson/szucnnlb5gctqxc6vuspbfhc

Im sure people will turn in out of curiosity, but I dont watch many PGA events due to the field, so I certainly wont be watching this one. Which goes back to my point about LIV having to succeed by demolishing the PGA Tour's stranglehold on the game, or it failing completely. Otherwise, the result is just to water down the value of golf by some degree due to it splitting the player base.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
As someone mentioned a few pages ago... they were surprised to see Sky run a LIV advert. The monocle has well & truly fallen now that the banner at the top of this page is proudly advertising the anti-golf LIV tournament! Golf Monthly has just exposed itself - happy to accept Saudi money, doesn't care about Golf integrity, only appeals to people who no longer have anything to offer to the Golf Monthly community, sold out just for money etc. etc.

Only joking, it's still a fine publication and forum. Probably. Unlike DJ and the other rebels.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Dustin Johnson resigns from PGA Tour.
"Obviously at this time it’s hard to speak on what the consequences will be, but for right now I resigned my membership from the Tour," he said. "I’m going to play here, for now. That’s the plan. But what the consequences are going to be, obviously I can’t comment on how the Tour is going to handle it."

Johnson said he still plans on playing in the majors unless he hears otherwise.

Johnson was apparently lured away from the Tour by an appealing offer. According to The Telegraph last week, Johnson signed a $125 million deal – although the length of that deal was not immediately known.

D

Deleted member 1418

If this event is on YouTube then surely LIV have missed a trick with not having Shiels and Finch in the field?