LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Very much looking forward to how it pans out

Wonder what it would be like live .. shotgun start everyone finishing roughly same time.. great entertainment

As the series develops, spectators will no doubt follow their favourite team on the course, but throw in the aspect of a rival team on another hole with the potential to take the win, you could have two sets of "fans" cheering and jeering against each other. I know it doesn't conform to the golf narrative, but I think it could be absolutely bloody brilliant.

D

Deleted member 15344

Jumping back to another point from earlier. I think the shotgun start could have its good points. Every good player (sic) on the course at once, a true live leaderboard. In theory everyone teeing off on the last with there opponents score known and the ability to gaige their scoring possibilities depending what hole they are on. Potentially even heartbreaking / heartwarming cheers and groans from across the course to add to the pressure. I can see it being a positive...

The queue for the bar will be long once they all finish together -?

I wonder how the pros will view it , they normally like to have targets to aim for when playing ,

Also guess there will be a few gaps as there isn’t enough players to fill each tee

The one thing Centurion does have is a great finishing hole but with the shotgun start you will lose that and also the potential final hole drama etc and not knowing who has won etc

They are ok in a club environment where you want to get as many into the club house after the comp etc but I’m not sure in a pro event. Going to be tough to keep up the scoring and for the players to have their bearings. It will though reduce it to being 5 and half hours ( well Na is playing )

D

Deleted member 15344

As the series develops, spectators will no doubt follow their favourite team on the course, but throw in the aspect of a rival team on another hole with the potential to take the win, you could have two sets of "fans" cheering and jeering against each other. I know it doesn't conform to the golf narrative, but I think it could be absolutely bloody brilliant.

You can’t manufacture team support and rivalry - especially in a sport where it’s dominated by individuals

You aren’t going to have “rival” teams and fans

It’s not a team sport regardless of much they will try and force it

D

Deleted member 15344

Come on, absolutely nobody is going to care what a "rival team" is doing.

How the heck are they going to get a “rival” team - even more so when the teams change every event

People don’t even get attached when they used to do the World Cup of Golf

and even more so when 90% of the team members will be unknown

And finally I don’t see there being too many roars that will be heard over the noise of the M1

D

Deleted member 1147

LIV golf, it’s golf but … ?
I don’t see how it’s different, except it’s got a poor field who’ve been payed to be there.
& just like Mel Smooth, they’ve been told what to say to advertise it!

D

Deleted member 1418

You can’t manufacture team support and rivalry - especially in a sport where it’s dominated by individuals

You aren’t going to have “rival” teams and fans

It’s not a team sport regardless of much they will try and force it

Introduce free beer and get the "rival" fans to have a punch up!!

LIV Golf meets the Football Factory!!!

And all streamed on YouTube - awesome!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I think the shotgun start will make for a great broadcasting spectacle but as a paying spectator it would be pretty frustrating losing that ability to guarantee seeing the winning putt drop on the 18th.

How will the groups be drawn for the final day? Will it be the leaders teeing off on the 1st so that they finish on the 18th? or will they be in their "teams"?

D

Deleted member 15344

Introduce free beer and get the "rival" fans to have a punch up!!

LIV Golf meets the Football Factory!!!

And all streamed on YouTube - awesome!

Get a bunch of the Millwall and West Ham firms there - get one team in Claret and one team in White and they can smash up Leverstock Green - prob make a £1mil worth of improvements

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I wonder how the pros will view it , they normally like to have targets to aim for when playing

They won't care. Those who are interested in real competition and golfing goals won't be there, they will be on the US Tour. Anyone playing the LIV is just there for the paycheck, making it an exhibition event rather than a win of golfing worth. Which is fine for them, but also the reason it has no relevance to sports fans.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Many pages ago, I stated that this format likely isn't for me. However I acknowledge that people like myself, in the UK, probably don't hold they key to success or otherwise.
Certainly our friends in the USA seem to have a different relationship with teams and support.

Rory being candid as ever here.
Outside of the majors you do wonder about the rest of it.
https://www.financial-world.org/amp...sed-everyone-my-main-motive-is-money-no-but-/

Have never really liked the FexEx Cup concept myself.

evemccc

Visit site
Popular debatebly. But it is live action advertising, and not sport . But maybe that squares with a sportswashing agenda. Mickey Mouse sport, but when the motive is to get a message across and influence thinking, maybe thats what LIV is after.

Although many things about this LIV golf sound pretty woeful to me, I wish some on here would apply their same critical gaze to their sainted PGA Tour — the status quo is very far from an ideal and should be deserving of scorn —- PIP anyone? FedEx? Players walking round as billboards and obligatory caps and the US coverage IS wall to wall advertising - as any listener to NLU from 2017 or so would testify

It strikes me as similar to the football breakaway thing of the richest 14(?) clubs last year…..sounds pretty awful and anti-competitive and a big case of ‘pull the ladder up’ from the current richest clubs

And all the holier-than-thou criticism ignoring that UEFA’s Champs League has already evolved - and will evolve further - into something so far from the European Cup and equally deserving of criticism

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
I always felt the top of the game should be global. Maybe a bit like F1, where the Tour is played in a different country each week. Maybe an event every 2 weeks rather than every one week to give players more time to practice, travel, etc. On the week off, maybe play a lower tour event, or alternate with the ladies game week in, week out, so there is always something to watch.

I suppose having a global tour wouldn't suit me so much, as it works well being in the US as it is televised in the prime time evening slot for me. But still reckon it would be better for the game.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Still trying to decide whether to go or not... If anyone else is tempted and wants a free ticket, drop me a DM, I have a few spare - cheers Poulter! :ROFLMAO:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Westwood and Poulter have tweeted out free ticket codes, and that’s just the 2 I have seen. Anyone knows if there are actually paying supporters?

Richard Bland and James Wiltshire were giving 100 tickets free aswell.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So theyre all at it!

Its free, might as well go watch! :ROFLMAO:

How many opportunities are you going to get to see Garcia, DJ, Poults, Westwood, Oostihuizen etc, all for free?

If you can get there, and have tickets, just go.

By the time it comes round again next year, I suspect any freebies will be much more difficult to get hold of.