LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
in 50 - 100 years time the existing Majors will have 50 - 100 years more history than any LIV major, and those judging them then will in all probability care about that; and those wanting to reserve their place in golfing history rather than pocket the money will still aim to play in the existing Majors.

This assumes that in 50 - 100 years we haven't completely screwed the planet, which may make the whole argument redundant.

The current 4 majors aren’t even the original 4 majors.

Nobody can create a major off the shelf, but history proves they can be created over time.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
You can't just devise a new tournament, chuck a wheelbarrow's worth of cash at it and expect the golfing world to see it as a Major...it just doesn't work like that.
Golf decides what is and what isn't a Major.
The Player's has ticked more boxes than any other event to become e a Major and it hasn't been given that status..
LIV can call it whatever they want to call it...it ain't gonna be a Major.

Returning to ranking points..again...there's no decision to make at the moment....
LIV don't meet the criteria
I don't know how many times this had to be said before it becomes understandable.......
What part of "LIV don't meet the criteria " do they not understand.?
Shouting about it and constantly complaining won't change anything.
I wonder what would..?:unsure:

I agree with all your points - but if this is the case, why did golf allow the PGA Championship? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Id actually much rather watch a Major somewhere outside of the USA - they have the US Open already! Deffo think they should move one to be more global

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I agree with all your points - but if this is the case, why did golf allow the PGA Championship? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Id actually much rather watch a Major somewhere outside of the USA - they have the US Open already! Deffo think they should move one to be more global
Couldn't agree more but then I don't make the rules...;)

Swango1980

Visit site
The current 4 majors aren’t even the original 4 majors.

Nobody can create a major off the shelf, but history proves they can be created over time.
Yes, things can be created over time, particularly in the early years when there is no real history, or settled format in the sport.

The rise of the professional sport only really occurred around the 1940's and 50's. Back in those days, apparently professionals didn't talk about Majors in the same way we do today, and they probably got their prestige mainly due to the purses involved (in comparison to other events), and perhaps events that were brought into the limelight by other well known golfers winning previously?

However, since the importance of Majors probably was cemented in the era of Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, etc. and that has continues and strengthened during the Woods era, and the explosion in broadcasting.

So, to think LIV could just create another Major is a farcical idea. Even if LIV became an established and respected tour, it would still be almost impossible for them to do this.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Yes, things can be created over time, particularly in the early years when there is no real history, or settled format in the sport.

The rise of the professional sport only really occurred around the 1940's and 50's. Back in those days, apparently professionals didn't talk about Majors in the same way we do today, and they probably got their prestige mainly due to the purses involved (in comparison to other events), and perhaps events that were brought into the limelight by other well known golfers winning previously?

However, since the importance of Majors probably was cemented in the era of Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, etc. and that has continues and strengthened during the Woods era, and the explosion in broadcasting.

So, to think LIV could just create another Major is a farcical idea. Even if LIV became an established and respected tour, it would still be almost impossible for them to do this.

Well, they could just call it “The Major” and do away with all that nostalgic nonsense. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
Let us say LIV did create a "Major". Do people genuinely think that it will feature all the best players in the world?

My educated guess is, a resounding No. It would be difficult to see players like McIlroy, Rahm, Spieth, Thomas, etc suddenly signing up to that. It looks like the money is not going to tempt them, or being able to wear shorts, so what else is going to tempt them? Perhaps LIV should learn how to walk first, before trying to do the impossible and fly.

Also, we know the key battle is with the PGA Tour. Would comments that LIV could set up their own Majors not doe a really good job at antagonising those responsible for the Majors!? Are LIV effectively saying this, not as a serious comment, but as a threat to the Majors, to try and force them to rewrite qualifying criteria so LIV players can play? Such a threat could potentially backfire on LIV, I often find that people don't react too well to threats.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I'm not bothered where it's played, but The Players has more validity as a Major than the PGA for me.

I believe the PGA's major status stems from the time when the tour was smaller, tour players had much closer club affiliations & club pros made up more of the field; the PGA & the PGA Tour either were or effectively were one and the same thing then. I believe it's why there are still places reserved for club pros in the field. An example of golf not evolving.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm not bothered where it's played, but The Players has more validity as a Major than the PGA for me.

I believe the PGA's major status stems from the time when the tour was smaller, tour players had much closer club affiliations & club pros made up more of the field; the PGA & the PGA Tour either were or effectively were one and the same thing then. I believe it's why there are still places reserved for club pros in the field. An example of golf not evolving.
I'm not sure about that statement. Firstly, it is one tournament, not golf in general. Secondly, is this not still the case simply due to tradition? We all like tradition in all sorts of forms, heck, it is why we are even talking about the Majors in the first place. Perhaps one could argue that the FA Cup in football is an example of football not evolving. After all, what right do a non-league side have to be in a competition with Premier League sides?

D

Deleted member 15344

Does it take 18 months, PGA China announced around Nov 2013, points awarded for 2014 season?

So first question is - when did PGA China first apply for points

Also I believe it’s part of the PGAT Developmental program

It also has a qualifying process

It’s over 72 holes as well plus a cut

But I guess it looks like PGA Tour China did its due diligence and got the points sorted early and due to them it also looks like fulfilling all the requirements needed

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
https://www.golfchannel.com/news/sa...ay-host-own-majors-denies-tiger-woods-reports

Hopefully won't come to this.
Very important that in this fractured golf world we now live in that the best play the best in the four majors

Why is it so important?
Many other global sporting events may not always feature the best.....look at football.......George Best never played in the World Cup Finals, sometimes the top nations don't qualify. Just because certain players don't play in a major won't suddenly change its status.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So first question is - when did PGA China first apply for points

Also I believe it’s part of the PGAT Developmental program

It also has a qualifying process

It’s over 72 holes as well plus a cut

But I guess it looks like PGA Tour China did its due diligence and got the points sorted early and due to them it also looks like fulfilling all the requirements needed

I guess nobody knows when they applied for points, but my guess would be it wasn't 18 months beforehand, in the context of the "how long does it take" argument, the rest of your points are irrelevant.

D

Deleted member 21445

Love to know what was said off camera..

Last edited by a moderator:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
You cannot create majors. The womens majors are joke, varying from 4 to 5, and different ones 'declared' majors that come and go. They have two, and thats it. They cannot mint more.
Liv has none. And cannot mint more than that either.

D

Deleted member 21445

You cannot create majors.

Oh yes you can...

Thing is will they be taken seriously or not and the answer to that is not.

Like in boxing when the IBF world belts were launched nobody took that world champion seriously buy many many many many many years later it got some credibility but is never as coveted as the WBC or WBA belts that have the history.

Liv majors are a bad idea and hope it won't come to that.

We want all the best players in the historic majors we already have fighting it out.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

And you won't be alone with that Players view I suspect. So in some people's eyes, maybe a major can be made ?

I think there is a fair case for dropping the majors tag generally (know that is controversial). They are great tournaments with history, especially the opens. But why not just reference them by name and not lump them together.

But what made them 'major' back in the day. Prize money, difficulty to win?

In 2023 I expect there will be 13 PGAT tournaments with larger purses than any of the traditional majors. (Acknowledge announcements not yet made though)

Difficulty to win is harder to gauge, in recent times as mentioned The Players, and possibly some others, had arguably stronger fields than some traditional majors.

Ironically depending on the decisions the traditional majors make, this could switch back around in 2023 though.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
And you won't be alone with that Players view I suspect. So in some people's eyes, maybe a major can be made ?

I think there is a fair case for dropping the majors tag generally (know that is controversial). They are great tournaments with history, especially the opens. But why not just reference them by name and not lump them together.

But what made them 'major' back in the day. Prize money, difficulty to win?

In 2023 I expect there will be 13 PGAT tournaments with larger purses than any of the traditional majors. (Acknowledge announcements not yet made though)

Difficulty to win is harder to gauge, in recent times as mentioned The Players, and possibly some others, had arguably stronger fields than some traditional majors.

Ironically depending on the decisions the traditional majors make, this could switch back around in 2023 though.

Because Arnie said so... :unsure:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/di...-four-majors-included-two-amateur-tournaments

"Then in 1960 golf's greatest star, Arnold Palmer, went across the pond to play in his first Open Championship. On his way there, he and Bob Drum, a friend and writer at the Pittsburgh Press, discussed the idea of the modern-era Grand Slam, which would include the Open Championship and the PGA Championship, as well as the U.S. Open and the Masters."