LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Because Arnie said so... :unsure:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/di...-four-majors-included-two-amateur-tournaments

"Then in 1960 golf's greatest star, Arnold Palmer, went across the pond to play in his first Open Championship. On his way there, he and Bob Drum, a friend and writer at the Pittsburgh Press, discussed the idea of the modern-era Grand Slam, which would include the Open Championship and the PGA Championship, as well as the U.S. Open and the Masters."
Yep ?, but what led him to say so?

And how relevant are his thoughts from 1960 in 202x?

(Not actually asking you ?, just putting out for debate)

AussieKB

Visit site
Let’s be honest. The only difference between a LiV major and a comp at my club is the prize money.

They are both about as relevant to the golfing world as each other.

It’s just more noise and desperate propaganda from an organisation that realises most people have no interest in LiV golf.
No interest in LIV ?
then why are commenting and this forum is never ending, mostly by people who hate LIV
but need to keep telling people that they are not interested in LIV

AussieKB

Visit site
Does the public want to see Cam Smith defend The Open ?

I think it would be awful if he was banned, and some of the best players
not participating, how could that be good for Golf.

Swango1980

Visit site
Does the public want to see Cam Smith defend The Open ?

I think it would be awful if he was banned, and some of the best players
not participating, how could that be good for Golf.
Not bothered. Although, to be fair, it is only because I've never had any interest in Cameron Smith. I certainly don't think he should be banned.

AussieKB

Visit site
Not bothered. Although, to be fair, it is only because I've never had any interest in Cameron Smith. I certainly don't think he should be banned.
Whether you like him or not is irrelevant, to be denied the chance to defend the Championship would be detrimental to the Open in my opinion no matter who it is.

Swango1980

Visit site
Whether you like him or not is irrelevant, to be denied the chance to defend the Championship would be detrimental to the Open in my opinion no matter who it is.
It is not irrelevant, it is my personal opinion. I made that entirely clear. I also made it entirely clear he shouldn't be banned.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
No interest in LIV ?
then why are commenting and this forum is never ending, mostly by people who hate LIV
but need to keep telling people that they are not interested in LIV
This thread is about the travails of LIV and its contest with the PGAT.
The Professional Golf thread is there to discuss actual tournaments for pro golfers.

Swango1980

Visit site
I have no interest in Boxing, never discuss it with anyone, because, well I have no interest in it. ;-)
Not a great analogy though, is it? Everyone here is interested in GOLF.

I am interested in motor racing, in particular F1. I have no interest in many other aspects of motor racing, like Nascar. If a new branch of motor racing began, I may have no interest in watching it, but I may have an opinion on it, especially if it was likely to have any impacts on F1.

Same in football with European Super League. Zero interest in that happening, but as a football fan I had very strong opinions on it.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not a great analogy though, is it? Everyone here is interested in GOLF.

I am interested in motor racing, in particular F1. I have no interest in many other aspects of motor racing, like Nascar. If a new branch of motor racing began, I may have no interest in watching it, but I may have an opinion on it, especially if it was likely to have any impacts on F1.

Same in football with European Super League. Zero interest in that happening, but as a football fan I had very strong opinions on it.

So you're interest in LIV is hoping it fails because you don't like it?

Swango1980

Visit site
So you're interest in LIV is hoping it fails because you don't like it?
Absolutely not. My interest is in Golf. I have said before, if golf becomes bigger and better, I'm all for it. I have zero affiliation with the PGA Tour or any other. It just so happens the PGA Tour had grown into what it has become, and it has had years and years to look for ways to improve.

I don't think LIV has any chance of making golf bigger to the fans. Not even close. But, with the money involved, it is weakening the other tours around it. So, I would be happy to see it fail because I think it is a disease to golf.

If the money on offer simply matched the PGA (or less if they actually tried to run it like a proper business without huge losses), LIV would be nothing. The golf would certainly not be "growing the game"

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Absolutely not. My interest is in Golf. I have said before, if golf becomes bigger and better, I'm all for it. I have zero affiliation with the PGA Tour or any other. It just so happens the PGA Tour had grown into what it has become, and it has had years and years to look for ways to improve.

I don't think LIV has any chance of making golf bigger to the fans. Not even close. But, with the money involved, it is weakening the other tours around it. So, I would be happy to see it fail because I think it is a disease to golf.

If the money on offer simply matched the PGA (or less if they actually tried to run it like a proper business without huge losses), LIV would be nothing. The golf would certainly not be "growing the game"

But you claim to never have watched LIV, and you claim to have no interest in it, so where are you getting your information from to form an opinion?

I’ve watched plenty of LIV and in many areas, it beats what the PGA are offering, indeed, the former have had to react quite quickly to try and mitigate the long term damage that LIV will cause to their tour. The money is clearly a factor, but do you honestly believe Rory et al would have played so many events in the PGA tour if he could earn more on the European Tour?

You can’t claim to have no interest in LIV, then repeatedly post on the subject on here. It’s a complete contradiction.

Visit site
It’d be interesting to find out the overall/combined viewing figures of LIV+PGA Tour and how that has changed recently.

I haven’t watched any golf since the FedEx, however long ago that was. I have probably taken less interest in the PGA Tour events since then, as the fields are weaker and there’s not so many big names competing (early season I know). There’s also little coverage of the actual golf these days to generate interest, as the sound bites, controversy and interviews have made the headlines on SkySportsNews (instead of the golf!)

But likewise, I haven’t and won’t watch LIV because I have no interest in it. Based on the YouTube viewing figures, no one is really watching it - considerably more people are sitting watch twitch TV hot tub streams than LIV.
I am a gamer, and a peak audience of 1.4million watched the League of Legends world championship group stages last week for comparison.

In attempting to “grow the game” (we know that is PR rubbish and they have no intent on growing the game), I wonder if the reality is that they have harmed the game and reduced the total golf viewing figures. Shrunk the game doesn’t sound like good PR though.

Swango1980

Visit site
But you claim to never have watched LIV, and you claim to have no interest in it, so where are you getting your information from to form an opinion?

I’ve watched plenty of LIV and in many areas, it beats what the PGA are offering, indeed, the former have had to react quite quickly to try and mitigate the long term damage that LIV will cause to their tour. The money is clearly a factor, but do you honestly believe Rory et al would have played so many events in the PGA tour if he could earn more on the European Tour?

You can’t claim to have no interest in LIV, then repeatedly post on the subject on here. It’s a complete contradiction.
And, apart from 10 or 15 minutes of the first event, that is true. As I have said before. And that was only because I was at work, and it was easy to stick it on my screen. How many events have there been so far? That should make it pretty clear I'm not interested in LIV as a golf spectacle.

Where do I get my information? Well, this thread for a start. Most of it is absolute "rubbish", and simply opinion than based on any actual facts. Fair enough, everyone has their own opinions. But, it has allowed me to do a bit of fact checking every now and then. Plus, the odd article on BBC website, segment in Sky Sports News, etc. It should be abundantly clear that, when someone on this thread says they have no interest, the context is they have no interest in the golf. They don't mean the topic as whole, otherwise they wouldn't comment at all. As I've said before, I'm interested in the politics and the chaos of it. Not interested in a good way, I'd rather it didn't exist at all. But interested in how things will pan out, and it's impact on golf as a spectacle. So, when people say "you say you are not interested yet comment on here", it is really just cheap points scoring by conveniently ignoring the context of what people mean my "interest"

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

You can’t claim to have no interest in LIV, then repeatedly post on the subject on here. It’s a complete contradictionYou can’t claim to have no interest in LIV, then repeatedly post on the subject on here. It’s a complete contradiction.[/.

I don't recall Swango saying he had no interest in LiV, simply that like me he has no interest in watching because he believes that it is damaging to the game of golf. This has been explained to you plenty of times, yet you appear to not understand it, or it is just another way the LiV bots try to put dissenting voices down.