LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Yes, absolutely. But I'd also like to think that if I was fortunate enough to be in that position where I've achieved my dreams to be a pro golfer I'd have enough self-awareness to realise what a fortunate position I was in. Totally agree with enjoying the fruits of their labour but with the amount of moaning they do are they really enjoying it? Anyone that has reached the levels of Rahm could, or at least should, be able to jack it all in tomorrow and live comfortably for the rest of their lives. If your life is so tough then give it up, bugger off and enjoy the millions you've got in the bank. You'll be getting no sympathy from me.

I think in Rahms case, it was more concern over the time constraints of the changes to the PGA Tour - enforced, which push his schedule to allow him to compete in Europe as well. He's not giving up golf anytime soon, but he is a young man, with a young family and will spend a lot of time travelling and playing - limiting the time he spends with his wife and kids. Despite the money, it will still be hard leaving them behind - his winning interview in Madrid demonstrated how much his family eman to him.

cleveland52

Visit site
Personally, didn't expect them to go anywhere - too big. Does feel like they have brought forward some of the cash injections though from earlier proposals. Perhaps a bit of a gamble to keep a halt on transfers, which makes some sense. Then again the whole liv thing is also a gamble. Soap opera continues...
Agreed. But to me LIV and the pgatour is two different things with different formats. Sure, some will continue to defect and like you said, Soap opera continues...

D

Deleted member 15344

The simple fact that the CEO of the LIV Tour is stating publically that they will just create their own majors just tells you exactly how little they know how about the sport and how their arrogance allows them to believe they can just buy everything from a bottomless pit of money

At the moment there doesn’t appear to be any talk of LIV players being banned from any major but if they keep poking and slagging off a lot of the governing bodies then it wouldn’t surprise me to see if they did put something in place to stop them playing in them

The daily complaints about the ranking points , the constantly slating of the PGAT and DP plus their CEOs - they are not exactly going much sympathy from many

AussieKB

Visit site
The simple fact that the CEO of the LIV Tour is stating publically that they will just create their own majors just tells you exactly how little they know how about the sport and how their arrogance allows them to believe they can just buy everything from a bottomless pit of money

At the moment there doesn’t appear to be any talk of LIV players being banned from any major but if they keep poking and slagging off a lot of the governing bodies then it wouldn’t surprise me to see if they did put something in place to stop them playing in them

The daily complaints about the ranking points , the constantly slating of the PGAT and DP plus their CEOs - they are not exactly going much sympathy from many
About time you wake up to the fact the world is changing whether you like it not.....

In 50 -100 years time who cares who won your club champs or the PGA......
we are all going to be dead.

Swango1980

Visit site

To be fair, when I was a child, we made up our own Olympics when me and my cousins met at my grans on a Friday. Cricket stumps for Javelin. Long Jump and High Jump on the grass. And running around the garden. It was great, although less popular and commercially viable compared to the actual Olympics.

So, let LIV create their own Majors. I'm sure they'll have a jolly good time of it :)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

He’s just trying to push a decision from the OWGR, who despite having a relatively quiet period in the calendar, can’t seem to find time for a zoom call to decide what to do.

Of course, the Saudis could put on an event with a $100 million dollar purse, give it some qualifying criteria so anybody can try and get a place, and blow golf out of the water. It’s the nuclear option. I doubt they actually want to but they could if they wanted.

There’s a few golfers speaking sensibly about the situation, but there needs to be more. What the top pros can’t do is call for the LIV guys to be denied access to the majors, because they would effectively be trying to influence the result in their favour by weakening the field.
So it’s down to the members of the OWGR to make the decision and take the resulting aftermath.

Swango1980

Visit site
He’s just trying to push a decision from the OWGR, who despite having a relatively quiet period in the calendar, can’t seem to find time for a zoom call to decide what to do.

Of course, the Saudis could put on an event with a $100 million dollar purse, give it some qualifying criteria so anybody can try and get a place, and blow golf out of the water. It’s the nuclear option. I doubt they actually want to but they could if they wanted.

There’s a few golfers speaking sensibly about the situation, but there needs to be more. What the top pros can’t do is call for the LIV guys to be denied access to the majors, because they would effectively be trying to influence the result in their favour by weakening the field.
So it’s down to the members of the OWGR to make the decision and take the resulting aftermath.

Is that not pretty much what they have done already, minus the qualifying bit? And, plenty of invited players have so far said No. So, are you saying that many of the top players that will say No to a Sign on fee of probably more than $100 million, but will say Yes if there is a chance to win a lesser amount of money if they win the competition?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Is that not pretty much what they have done already, minus the qualifying bit? And, plenty of invited players have so far said No. So, are you saying that many of the top players that will say No to a Sign on fee of probably more than $100 million, but will say Yes if there is a chance to win a lesser amount of money if they win the competition?

The reason players haven’t joined LIV is because of the actions threatened by the PGA and DPW tours. Are they going to ban players for participating in a Saudi funded stand alone tournament as well - and if so, on what grounds?

D

Deleted member 15344

About time you wake up to the fact the world is changing whether you like it not.....

What a strange response - almost the same arrogance as Norman himself

Why does he feel he has the right to push OWGR ? It’s not up to him to decide their timeframe

Maybe he should have sorted it before he started the LIV tour

That doesn’t make it a major though does it - that’s just throwing more money about at the end of the day - it doesn’t make the tournament anywhere near a major level

Who has called for the players to be denied access to the majors ? And the owgr don’t have control over the majors

USGA
USPGA
R&A
Masters Committee

They are the ones that decide who plays in the majors

LIV appear to be daily fighting some social media war and attacking on a daily basis - the majors have said nothing but now LIV are turning on them

D

Deleted member 15344

The reason players haven’t joined LIV is because of the actions threatened by the PGA and DPW tours. Are they going to ban players for participating in a Saudi funded stand alone tournament as well - and if so, on what grounds?

Are you sure that’s the reason ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Let’s be honest. The only difference between a LiV major and a comp at my club is the prize money.

They are both about as relevant to the golfing world as each other.

It’s just more noise and desperate propaganda from an organisation that realises most people have no interest in LiV golf.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Let’s be honest. The only difference between a LiV major and a comp at my club is the prize money.

They are both about as relevant to the golfing world as each other.

It’s just more noise and desperate propaganda from an organisation that realises most people have no interest in LiV golf.

the majors are special because of the history, the Players has probably the best field of any tournament, a world famous and recognisable course and substantial prize money and yet is not a major. Not sure how LIV with their second rate (compared to major venues) courses can create anything getting close to a major just by throwing even more money at it

D

Deleted member 15344

You think if there was a pathway between the tours, that no more would have taken part in LIV events?

I think there are more reasons than being banned from other tours for players not going to LIV

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I think there are more reasons than being banned from other tours for players not going to LIV

I’m sure there are, OWGR points being another. So what’s the delay on the decision, it’s either yes or no.

That’s the reason where having a discussion about the Saudis funding an alternative ‘major’.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

in 50 - 100 years time the existing Majors will have 50 - 100 years more history than any LIV major, and those judging them then will in all probability care about that; and those wanting to reserve their place in golfing history rather than pocket the money will still aim to play in the existing Majors.

This assumes that in 50 - 100 years we haven't completely screwed the planet, which may make the whole argument redundant.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You can't just devise a new tournament, chuck a wheelbarrow's worth of cash at it and expect the golfing world to see it as a Major...it just doesn't work like that.
Golf decides what is and what isn't a Major.
The Player's has ticked more boxes than any other event to become e a Major and it hasn't been given that status..
LIV can call it whatever they want to call it...it ain't gonna be a Major.

Returning to ranking points..again...there's no decision to make at the moment....
LIV don't meet the criteria
I don't know how many times this had to be said before it becomes understandable.......
What part of "LIV don't meet the criteria " do they not understand.?
Shouting about it and constantly complaining won't change anything.
I wonder what would..?:unsure:

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m sure there are, OWGR points being another. So what’s the delay on the decision, it’s either yes or no.

That’s the reason where having a discussion about the Saudis funding an alternative ‘major’.

Is there a delay ?

Or are they just doing their due diligence?

Process takes between 12 and 18 months I understand so there doesn’t appear to be any delay