LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

Regarding OWGR.

I think LIV would be better trying to engage directly with the Majors and say something along the lines of.

Right we have some of the best Golfers and most well known names in golf that were sure you would like in your events.
So our top 15 players (probably less for Masters) that are not already exempt in our order of merit qualify automatically for your major the next year.

This would allow Liv to maintain their current model.
There is a pathway from Liv to the majors.
It would eliminate the idea by some that it's a non competitive exhibition tour.

Im not saying the above is written in stone but you get the jist of the idea.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Regarding OWGR.

I think LIV would be better trying to engage directly with the Majors and say something along the lines of.

Right we have some of the best Golfers and most well known names in golf that were sure you would like in your events.
So our top 15 players (probably less for Masters) that are not already exempt in our order of merit qualify automatically for your major the next year.

It would eliminate the idea by some that it's a non competitive exhibition tour.

Would you expand the qualified field for these LIV players or cut some qualified players from the event?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Think of the OWGR as a club, a club that you want to join.
In order to join you have to....
Drive a Mercedes
Earn 100k a year
Have a trophy wife
Be 5 index or less
Not be a knob..

If you don't fulfil any 1 of those criteria you can't join.
Simples.

LIV do not meet the requirements to gain OWGR points at the moment..it really is a simple as that
Until they do meet the criteria they won't get any.
Should they fulfil the requirements then..guess what?....they'll get points.

The OWGR has the discretion to award points to certain individual events that may have a limited field and no cut. INDIVIDUAL..
It doesn't have the discretion to award points to whole Tours that have limited fields and no cut.
This is not difficult to understand........
There is a process by which a new Tour can show that they meet the criteria in order to gain points.
LIV know this process and seem to think it doesn't apply to them......

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Drive a Mercedes
Earn 100k a year
Have a trophy wife
Be 5 index or less
Not be a knob..

Simples.

LIV do not meet the requirements to gain OWGR points at the moment..it really is a simple as that

The OWGR has the discretion to award points to certain individual events that may have a limited field and no cut. INDIVIDUAL..
It doesn't have the discretion to award points to whole Tours that have limited fields and no cut.
There is a process by which a new Tour can show that they meet the criteria in order to gain points.

Well I've got a merc and the wifes pretty.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Regarding OWGR.

Yep, and you probably already know how they set their internal ranking rules - extract below.

Thing is, no-one really knows how independent the majors really are these days - can imagine they are being put under some pressure.
Also as many have mentioned, GN doesn’t seem the type to go the 'make friends and influence ' route.

‐‐--------
Here is the individual points system for each regular-season event. First place is worth 40 points, and only the top 24 players – half of the 48-man field – will receive points. Those who finish 25th or below will not be eligible for points in that tournament.

BubbaP

Visit site
Drive a Mercedes
Earn 100k a year
Have a trophy wife
Be 5 index or less
Not be a knob..

Simples.

To be clear, I am in the 'you knew the rules beforehand ' camp.
But to play with the analogy a little for smiles...?

It's 2022, and the new applicant has:
A BMW and a Tesla
A trophy boyfriend
Earns over 100k a year
Is a 3 index
Isn't a knob

Can they join, or doesn't their face fit with the existing members?
???

Imurg

Visit site
To be clear, I am in the 'you knew the rules beforehand ' camp.
But to play with the analogy a little for smiles...?

It's 2022, and the new applicant has:
A BMW and a Tesla
A trophy boyfriend
Earns over 100k a year
Is a 3 index
Isn't a knob

Can they join, or doesn't their face fit with the existing members?
???
Depends how Old School the club is;)

BubbaP

Visit site
Depends how Old School the club is;)
Ha yes! ?
I've alluded to this before, there may come a point where the "it is correct", will perhaps be overshadowed by the perception and PR.
Golf rarely needs help in coming across as old fashioned, inflexible, self protecting.
I'd say the 'rules is rules' feeling is still in majority, but it might not take much for that to edge towards 'just change the flippin' rules'
Wonder if they'll be a respite (in media) after October!

Last edited:

Imurg

Visit site
Ha yes! ?
I've alluded to this before, there may come a point where the "it is correct", will perhaps be overshadowed by the perception and PR.
Golf rarely needs help in coming across as old fashioned, inflexible, self protecting.
I'd say the 'rules is rules' feeling is still in majority, but it might not take much for that to edge towards 'just change the flippin' rules'
Wonder if they'll be a respite (in media) after October!
I saw Brooks bemoaning the upcoming break in LIV events..just as he gets his game back......:unsure::whistle:

BubbaP

Visit site
I saw Brooks bemoaning the upcoming break in LIV events..just as he gets his game back......:unsure::whistle:
I had read some suggestion that he was being mischievously sarcastic - perhaps picked up a few things from his time in Europe & he does have form for messing with the media. Guess only he'll know.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I had read some suggestion that he was being mischievously sarcastic - perhaps picked up a few things from his time in Europe & he does have form for messing with the media. Guess only he'll know.

I don't think he was being sarcastic - watching the interview he just looks like he's relieved he seems to be getting over his injury issues and it's frustrating the break from LIV is coming. I doubt it's the big deal some of the media are trying to portray it as, but nothing new there.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think he was being sarcastic - watching the interview he just looks like he's relieved he seems to be getting over his injury issues and it's frustrating the break from LIV is coming. I doubt it's the big deal some of the media are trying to portray it as, but nothing new there.

Has he got any options to play in any other events to try to keep his good form going?

That's a genuine question rather than a dig at LIV as I have no idea what other options he might have on other tours.

BubbaP

Visit site
Has he got any options to play in any other events to try to keep his good form going?

That's a genuine question rather than a dig at LIV as I have no idea what other options he might have on other tours.
There's a couple of Asian tour international series events in November.
His brother & a few others look to be already entered. Whether the bigger names show remains to be seen.

AussieKB

Visit site

There are a few tournaments coming up in OZ, and we would love to have him and others, maybe Rory will make an appearance if we can find enough money for his fee.