LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

Enjoyed watching the DP World Tour, Valdarama is such a tough but special course.
DPWT didn't give much coverage to Otaegui in first 3 rounds but common sense prevailed today with him leading by 6 shots and showing him fully in the coverage.

Whether you think he should be there or not after playing 2 LIV events you can't as the broadcaster ignore the leader who is a Spanish player winning the biggest event in Spain on the most prestigious Spanish course.

Side note - That Min Woo Lee is a player who seems to be just getting better all the time.

D

Deleted member 21445

Next up Miami for Liv.
Think finally the team format will mean something.
Who doesn't love a bit of team singles and pairs matchplay, no halved matches allowed.

Interesting dynamic that some seeded teams can choose their opponents.
So Brooks as top seed in 1/4 finals gets 1st pick.
If you were picked as an easy touch surely that would fire you up..

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Next up Miami for Liv.
Who doesn't love a bit of team singles and pairs matchplay, no halved matches allowed.

It sounds so convoluted, as to be meaningless as serious sport. It might provide some drama, in the manner of a TV gameshow. But not top flight sport. Surprised they are hobbling their credibility this way.
Thats numberwang ! Smashems take that win from the Gougers in the finale that nobody understands !

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Next up Miami for Liv.

Looking forward to the final event. Got a couple of teams I'd like to see win, but theres going to be an aspect to a golf event that we haven't really seen before, a multiple team event in which there are some seriously strong teams.

We've all got to be shouting for the Majesticks haven't we, and I'd also like to see the Fireballs competing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21445

It sounds so convoluted, as to be meaningless as serious sport. It might provide some drama, in the manner of a TV gameshow. But not top flight sport. Surprised they are hobbling their credibility this way.
Thats numberwang ! Smashems take that win from the Gougers in the finale that nobody understands !

The team names are not great ?

Seeing as they are grouping country's/continents together I would call them something like

South African Team - Springboks
Australian Team - Wallabies
English Team - 4 Lions
You get the jist

Might help get some patriotic following going...

Swango1980

Visit site
I agree fwiw.

Players getting points in limited field no cut events - while better players don’t under the same circumstances - on a technicality, makes a mockery of the rankings.
Remember Mel, you confirmed you agreed that LIV players shouldn't get rankings at present, but they may deserve to do so in the future if they change the format.

Or, was this yet again very poor communication from yourself?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Remember Mel, you confirmed you agreed that LIV players shouldn't get rankings at present, but they may deserve to do so in the future if they change the format.

Or, was this yet again very poor communication from yourself?

Let me be clear, if the LIV players have to meet the criteria for points, so should everybody else.

Do you understand that?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
OWGR is now defunct.....does not represent true rankings.
Not quite yet, but they are on borrowed time, and the situation needs to be resolved in the next few months, or they will be obsolete come spring.

The Saudis are missing a trick though. The should be running a world golf ranking of their own, allocating a sensible points to their tournaments, and otherwise paralleling the owgr. Being careful not to big up their own tournaments. It would become the real golf ranking for the world, with the owgr left discredited.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Not quite yet, but they are on borrowed time, and the situation needs to be resolved in the next few months, or they will be obsolete come spring.

The Saudis are missing a trick though. The should be running a world golf ranking of their own, allocating a sensible points to their tournaments, and otherwise paralleling the owgr. Being careful not to big up their own tournaments. It would become the real golf ranking for the world, with the owgr left discredited.

How do you think that works, when the stakeholders of the OWGR are the tours sans LIV and the Majors, OWGR will continue as long as the tours and majors want it to

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
How do you think that works, when the stakeholders of the OWGR are the tours sans LIV and the Majors, OWGR will continue as long as the tours and majors want it to

But OWGR cannot be seen to be using their position in golf to prevent LIV from developing. And why wouldn’t the majors want some of those LIV players participating in their events?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
But OWGR cannot be seen to be using their position in golf to prevent LIV from developing. And why wouldn’t the majors want some of those LIV players participating in their events?

seen by who, there is no global governing body, the OWGR in so much as it represents the major tours and majors is as close to a governing body as golf has, as it represents 99% of professional tour golf.

I honestly don't know how the voting works, whether admission of LIV requires a simple majority, qualified majority, or unanimous vote.

Even if some of the majors did want to admit some of the LIV players, do you think they are going to go against and piss off all the other tours. I very much doubt it

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

I'm often on your side Mel but - Why not?

Maybe OWGR thinks its absolutely its position to defend and maintain the systems in place in golf as they are? Where the average Joe - Like me - with a load of talent - can reach the biggest tour/ events in golf through playing ability alone.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
seen by who, there is no global governing body, the OWGR in so much as it represents the major tours and majors is as close to a governing body as golf has, as it represents 99% of professional tour golf.

I honestly don't know how the voting works, whether admission of LIV requires a simple majority, qualified majority, or unanimous vote.

Even if some of the majors did want to admit some of the LIV players, do you think they are going to go against and piss off all the other tours. I very much doubt it

Seen from a legal and anti-trust perspective.

OWGR is a business, if they accept LIV, they will receive revenue from them which I believe is £55,000 per year. As a business, it’s in their fiscal interests to add another ‘customer’, so if they are seen to be objectionable to that, then quite rightly, questions will be asked as to why, especially if LIV can prove they meet the recognised requirements to ‘do business’ with them.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

And we’ve been through this before. LiV set up a new tour (which is absolutely fine) which is run in such a way that it’s players can’t gain OWGR points as the tour doesn’t comply with the rules set out by the OWGR.

LiV knew it. The players all knew it. So they are in absolutely no position to complain about it.

Comply with the rules. Get ranking points. Simples!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Seen from a legal and anti-trust perspective.

OWGR is a business, if they accept LIV, they will receive revenue from them which I believe is £55,000 per year. As a business, it’s in their fiscal interests to add another ‘customer’, so if they are seen to be objectionable to that, then quite rightly, questions will be asked as to why, especially if LIV can prove they meet the recognised requirements to ‘do business’ with them.

there is no legal argument, and no anti-trust. You cannot claim anti-trust if the company's stakeholders are all different tours and major tournaments. That's not what anti-trust is/

The fees are there for running costs, yes LIV would pay but it would cost OWGR more in then administrating the points. Plus in the world of professional golf £55k is pocket change