LIV Golf

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem for LIV is the timescales involved in them meeting the criteria for getting points and then actually being awarded them, which could take a year from when they finally meet the criteria. During this period all the LIV players rankings will be dropping which will have a knock on effect when it comes to the field strength calculation as part of awarding points. So they'll be playing for fewer points, making it more difficult to climb up the rankings, and therefore making it harder to increase the field strength rating.

AussieKB

Visit site
Actually, the Aussie Rules football fans was a sport I picked completely at random. I could have picked any sport in the world, except golf, as the only point I was making that LIV has appeared to have created virtually zero enthusiasm.in the golfing circles I am in, and this forum is the only place I hear from supporters. Now I think of it, I can see why the Aussie Rules football issue might be linked to Greg Norman and Cam Smith. That was completely unintentional on my part. Not sure if I subconsciously picked the sport, or complete fluke.

Do you mean the opportunities it gives to golfers that would not have been good enough to play on other tours, but now that the LIV players have been removed, they can now play? Or the players on LIV that no one had ever heard of, but have now won a golfing lottery ticket?

I agree that it would be good if the PGA Tour had gone more global, and played events in Oz and all sorts of other places. I don't think LIV is the ultimate answer to solve this, but no doubt it might be the only one ticking that box for you at this time.
There are plenty of golfers good enough to play on the PGA but do not get the chance, but now there are more spots available, can only be a good thing if you are a Pro who is on the border line.

I know 80% plus on the LIV tour, cannot say the same for the PGA or DP tour.

PGA Tour willl only go global to stop other tours threatening there market, they do not care about anyone but themselves, and like I said here in OZ we get to see our home grown stars returning to play events over our summer, can only be a good thing for us to be able to see world class players live.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The problem for LIV is the timescales involved in them meeting the criteria for getting points and then actually being awarded them, which could take a year from when they finally meet the criteria. During this period all the LIV players rankings will be dropping which will have a knock on effect when it comes to the field strength calculation as part of awarding points. So they'll be playing for fewer points, making it more difficult to climb up the rankings, and therefore making it harder to increase the field strength rating.
Some of the existing LIV players rankings will drop (those at the top who generally have some major exemptions) but those coming over to LIV will still be strong, which will boost field strength in future events.
The OWGR ratings debate isn’t the showstopper some think it will be.

Swango1980

Visit site
There are plenty of golfers good enough to play on the PGA but do not get the chance, but now there are more spots available, can only be a good thing if you are a Pro who is on the border line.

I know 80% plus on the LIV tour, cannot say the same for the PGA or DP tour.

PGA Tour willl only go global to stop other tours threatening there market, they do not care about anyone but themselves, and like I said here in OZ we get to see our home grown stars returning to play events over our summer, can only be a good thing for us to be able to see world class players live.
To be fair, if you support a tour, it is much easier to get to know 80% of the players if there is only a total field size.

Perhaps the issue is we still think too much about individual geographical tours, and worry about standing on each others toes? After all, if all tours had the same starting point, the best players would still gravitate towards one tour. As one tour will generally provide better money, playing conditions, opportunities to progress their career, etc. That is why the PGA is so successful, it was the geographical location that offered the best opportunities for the best players.

If tours forgot about being based on geographical location, and more to do with level of players, then perhaps it would be much easier for the highest level tour to expand globally, without upsetting other tours?

Personally, I'd like to see the PGA branch out to other countries across the world. Even if they kept a similar calendar, primarily in the US (for the large market there), could they run events in parallel? Maybe 20 or so a year, across all continents. Those events could have more prize money than the local US ones, to try and encourage golfers to do a bit of travelling. And I'm sure Aus golfers would play in Australian events, South Africans in South Africa, etc? Just a random thought, as I rush to get ready for a work meeting :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Should LIV eventually get ranking points then the lure of the money and points will be hard to resist.
But.....
I suspect the likes of Rory, JT. CM etc etc may prefer to be in control of their schedules and not be told where and when they have to play..

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some of the existing LIV players rankings will drop (those at the top who generally have some major exemptions) but those coming over to LIV will still be strong, which will boost field strength in future events.
The OWGR ratings debate isn’t the showstopper some think it will be.

Those coming over will be the qualifiers now though, so how many is that, 3 per year ? And qualifiers wont necessarily be those with high owgr points. So the effect in to LIV could be minimal.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Those coming over will be the qualifiers now though, so how many is that, 3 per year ? And qualifiers wont necessarily be those with high owgr points. So the effect in to LIV could be minimal.

When LIV get OWGR points, there’ll be plenty of players come over from the other tours besides those coming through the annual qualification. You can be sure of that.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I don't see that if it sticks to 48 players.
But I'm not great at future gazing.

Let’s face it, they’ve said they’re not interested in talking to the other tours right now, and Bryson said a few weeks back that LIV would adapt to get to their end target (paraphrasing) - remember, he’s a stakeholder now in LIV, not just a player. These guys will make sure it succeeds - and if that involves changing the format - I think they will.
I’ve no idea what financial promises have been made, but the PIF is heavily invested now and I don’t see them pulling the plug anytime soon - so we’re looking at a professional golf revolution, where the landscape will change quite radically.

The PGAT has already split its tournaments into two levels, they’ve had to in reality, so in a few years I think we’ll see two tours with a dozen or so premium events. One US based and the other global, with players from both going head to head in the majors.

Sounds alright to me tbh.

D

Deleted member 15344

Let’s face it, they’ve said they’re not interested in talking to the other tours right now, and Bryson said a few weeks back that LIV would adapt to get to their end target (paraphrasing) - remember, he’s a stakeholder now in LIV, not just a player. These guys will make sure it succeeds - and if that involves changing the format - I think they will.
I’ve no idea what financial promises have been made, but the PIF is heavily invested now and I don’t see them pulling the plug anytime soon - so we’re looking at a professional golf revolution, where the landscape will change quite radically.

The PGAT has already split its tournaments into two levels, they’ve had to in reality, so in a few years I think we’ll see two tours with a dozen or so premium events. One US based and the other global, with players from both going head to head in the majors.

Sounds alright to me tbh.

What’s the global based tour ? Is that ET which is the tour that plays more outside it’s main base than the other tours ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Slightly off topic but related, if somehow I was given charge of professional golf. I'd go for a tour in each country, with progression to a continental tour, with progression to a world tour. I.e.
UK, to European, to World
Japan, to Asian, to World

Acknowledge that doesn't help 'following the sun' though.

For clarity, from the outset I didn't think LIV was this answer, but it's what's here.

I did find it quite amusing when the ET/DPWT were grumbling when the Asian tour held a comp in Europe - seemed a tad hypercritical when as mentioned many of their events were outside Europe.

Swango1980

Visit site
Slightly off topic but related, if somehow I was given charge of professional golf. I'd go for a tour in each country, with progression to a continental tour, with progression to a world tour. I.e.
UK, to European, to World
Japan, to Asian, to World

Acknowledge that doesn't help 'following the sun' though.

For clarity, from the outset I didn't think LIV was this answer, but it's what's here.

I did find it quite amusing when the ET/DPWT were grumbling when the Asian tour held a comp in Europe - seemed a tad hypercritical when as mentioned many of their events were outside Europe.
I agree, although was that not roughly similar to how things worked before, by accident? Up and coming golfers would play nationally, then they may get on to their continental tour, then finally PGA. The difference being the World Tour you speak of was pretty much exclusive to the US.

I think what you say is similar to what I was thinking. That the PGA Tour went more global, and all the various continental tours were full of aspiring golfers to get on PGA. The barrier being, would tours like the DP World Tour, Asian Tour, etc accept the PGA running events in their own back yard? And would the PGA Global Tour want to do this, or would they think it more lucrative to still have most of their events in US. For example, quite romantic to think of an event in the middle of Africa, but would it bring in tge money and be well supported?

D

Deleted member 21445

Context?
Website
TV
Youtube
?

Don't think many know that some countries show Liv golf on other platforms with their own studio and local pundits.

So you tube viewers is not a reflection on total viewers.
People also watch on Liv.com and Facebook.

For Example
Liv is free to air in China via Weibo.
In Australia, New Zealand and India it is aired on Dazn.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Don't think many know that some countries show Liv golf on other platforms with their own studio and local pundits.

So you tube viewers is not a reflection on total viewers.
People also watch on Liv.com and Facebook.

For Example
Liv is free to air in China via Weibo.
In Australia, New Zealand and India it is aired on Dazn.

I’m sure it’s just YouTube that’s losing viewers and not the other broadcasts then

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’m sure it’s just YouTube that’s losing viewers and not the other broadcasts then

THE US and UK watch via You Tube, given the time zones for this and last weeks events, then it’s understandable that the figures are down.

If it’s 20k at Doral, then you’ll have a point. ?