LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
I understand where your coming from
I suspect by your comments you are not a watcher?
Whether or not it’s all been gone about the wrong way,unless someone is willing to change and start talking,instead of slating each other it will stay the same.
With the womens Liv just around the corner,and these women will be offered unbelievable amounts of money compared to what they are earning.
The womens game could actually take a bigger hit than the mens.
Apart from about 20 minutes of the first event, I'm not a watcher.

Golf is golf. I fully expect to see good shots on any tour, when pro golfers are playing. I just cannot get into the concept of LIV, as it is really just made up of a random bunch of golfers who happened to say "Yes, sign me up".

I also said before, I didn't like the coverage, as it had a highlights feel to it. I'm not interested in watching golfers who are already miles out of contention, unless there is some sentimental value to showing a shot I guess. I like the build up between shots, discussing the difficulties that lie ahead, especially when you get to the business end of the tournament. I like the focus to be almost entirely on those last few golfers who challenge for the win, and I like it when they are finishing on the same holes, as they all face the same challenge as the pressure intensifies towards the end of the round. The final few holes become just as big a personality as the golfers themselves, and you really get to know what challenges they will present to golfers yet to play them. I don't like it when golfers are finishing all over the course. Scores may seem incredibly tight, and then you realise one guy is finishing on a ridiculously hard stretch of holes, while another guy may have a stretch of scoring holes, maybe a couple of par 5's.

I also like it when the golf is on through most of the day, especially the first couple of rounds. It means I have the flexibility to tune in when I have time, and watch some of the golf. Being tied down to a 4 or 5 hour window often does not suit, although once we get to Sunday, I am more likely to be available for the leading groups rounds in the traditional formats anyway. Only get 3 days of golf with LIV, rather than 4. And, as someone also said, geographically events being in the US (or even Europe) works out well for me, as I can watch in the evening or afternoon. So, from a practical point of view, not much good if events are played in countries with awkward time zones (that is just a point purely down to how it suits me, I'm sure those events would be amazing for other parts of the world)

evemccc

Visit site

Golf is golf. I fully expect to see good shots on any tour, when pro golfers are playing. I just cannot get into the concept of LIV, as it is really just made up of a random bunch of golfers who happened to say "Yes, sign me up".

I also said before, I didn't like the coverage, as it had a highlights feel to it. I'm not interested in watching golfers who are already miles out of contention, unless there is some sentimental value to showing a shot I guess. I like the build up between shots, discussing the difficulties that lie ahead, especially when you get to the business end of the tournament. I like the focus to be almost entirely on those last few golfers who challenge for the win, and I like it when they are finishing on the same holes, as they all face the same challenge as the pressure intensifies towards the end of the round. The final few holes become just as big a personality as the golfers themselves, and you really get to know what challenges they will present to golfers yet to play them. I don't like it when golfers are finishing all over the course. Scores may seem incredibly tight, and then you realise one guy is finishing on a ridiculously hard stretch of holes, while another guy may have a stretch of scoring holes, maybe a couple of par 5's.

I also like it when the golf is on through most of the day, especially the first couple of rounds. It means I have the flexibility to tune in when I have time, and watch some of the golf. Being tied down to a 4 or 5 hour window often does not suit, although once we get to Sunday, I am more likely to be available for the leading groups rounds in the traditional formats anyway. Only get 3 days of golf with LIV, rather than 4. And, as someone also said, geographically events being in the US (or even Europe) works out well for me, as I can watch in the evening or afternoon. So, from a practical point of view, not much good if events are played in countries with awkward time zones (that is just a point purely down to how it suits me, I'm sure those events would be amazing for other parts of the world)

The bolded part is certainly a good point and one to which I agree….having said that, I don’t have Sky and for occasional ‘casual golf viewing’ of run-of-the-mill tournaments throughout the year - whether LIV or PGAT - I’m happy for it to be as it is…condensed, free-to-air, and ad-free

Thankfully the Majors won’t change — we’ll be able to watch golf like that for the Open / Masters etc

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Re the last section, I like that traditional approach for the majors, but am okay with something different elsewhere. But if everyone was the same it would be a weird world.
I will say though with some confidence that the Centurion coverage is not representative with how it has evolved. That first one was a tad to frenetic. The last couple of hours on Sundays probably isn't a mile off the established tours, less walking and sky gazing granted, but a lot of focus on the leading players. If anything for me they've gone a bit too far the other way to fewer golf shots compared to how they started.
Not that you'll be interested ? but tee off is around 10:15 am this week

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
10th Oct -
Was there a LIV event this weekend? I guess even LIV supporters are more interested in writing chapters and chapters about the politics of LIV, and not really bothered about the actual golf :)
Anyway, despite Swango1980 adding 30 or so posts, we do all need to pause this thread soon for a few days while the golf is played ... ????

Swango1980

Visit site
Re the last section, I like that traditional approach for the majors, but am okay with something different elsewhere. But if everyone was the same it would be a weird world.
I will say though with some confidence that the Centurion coverage is not representative with how it has evolved. That first one was a tad to frenetic. The last couple of hours on Sundays probably isn't a mile off the established tours, less walking and sky gazing granted, but a lot of focus on the leading players. If anything for me they've gone a bit too far the other way to fewer golf shots compared to how they started.
Not that you'll be interested ? but tee off is around 10:15 am this week
Yeah, you guessed right, not eager to tune in. Couldn't if I wanted to, playing in golf comps Sat and Sun.

AussieKB

Visit site
Completely agree.

Completely ignored the basics, and gone in all guns blazing, throwing money around, making a lot of noise, and thinking all that would result in LIV becoming the greatest golf tour on earth. Had they got the basics right, had a solid foundation to build from, they surely would have been able to quickly build a tour with a lot more credibility. Perhaps Greg Norman's impatience got the better of him?

The only people I have ever heard of that actually like LIV are a handful of people in this forum. Not met anyone in real life that has any interest in watching it, and only occasionally discuss the politics of it. Maybe all these new fans LIV are picking up are aussie rules football fans?
Have to reply to that aussie rules fan comment.....try something more original please.
My local Pro loves LIV, pointed out how many opportunities have opened up for other Pro's, which I think is very rarely mentioned.

We are looking forward to finally seeing Cam Smith back in OZ, plus a heap of other Major winners, been a long time here since we have seen a decent field due to the PGA creating the wrap around season, which killed the OZ tour and others, another example of PGA spreading the game to the USA and nowhere else.

Swango1980

Visit site
Have to reply to that aussie rules fan comment.....try something more original please.
My local Pro loves LIV, pointed out how many opportunities have opened up for other Pro's, which I think is very rarely mentioned.

We are looking forward to finally seeing Cam Smith back in OZ, plus a heap of other Major winners, been a long time here since we have seen a decent field due to the PGA creating the wrap around season, which killed the OZ tour and others, another example of PGA spreading the game to the USA and nowhere else.
Actually, the Aussie Rules football fans was a sport I picked completely at random. I could have picked any sport in the world, except golf, as the only point I was making that LIV has appeared to have created virtually zero enthusiasm.in the golfing circles I am in, and this forum is the only place I hear from supporters. Now I think of it, I can see why the Aussie Rules football issue might be linked to Greg Norman and Cam Smith. That was completely unintentional on my part. Not sure if I subconsciously picked the sport, or complete fluke.

Do you mean the opportunities it gives to golfers that would not have been good enough to play on other tours, but now that the LIV players have been removed, they can now play? Or the players on LIV that no one had ever heard of, but have now won a golfing lottery ticket?

I agree that it would be good if the PGA Tour had gone more global, and played events in Oz and all sorts of other places. I don't think LIV is the ultimate answer to solve this, but no doubt it might be the only one ticking that box for you at this time.

Harry Putter

Visit site

Genuine question, I'm intrigued - what opportunities have opened up for other pros that weren't there before, and could be achieved on the open market through hard work and talent? And how many 'other' pros has LIV helped?

D

Deleted member 21445

Genuine question, I'm intrigued - what opportunities have opened up for other pros that weren't there before, and could be achieved on the open market through hard work and talent? And how many 'other' pros has LIV helped?

Liv has opened up many more opportunity's on the PGA Tour.
One being the strategic alliance with the DP World Tour that has created more automatic qualifying spots and more Co sanctioned events increasing money on DPWT.

Rookie players on PGAT now get £500,000 up front to help with expenses in 1st year.

Also the purses on the PGAT have greatly increased.

Im sure its had a positive effect on getting on tour from the Korn Ferry as well but I'm not an expert on that.

It's wrong to think that Liv has had a totally negative effect on golf in general.

What it has done is split the worlds best players between tours and use a format many don't consider as traditional golf, the majority of top players still play on PGAT but it remains to be seen how many more will move across.

In my opinion many more of the worlds top 50 players will move If Liv gets OWGR points so you can play for way more money and climb the rankings for qualifying for majors.
Thats why this OWGR is such a big decision and the PGAT/DPWT know it and they both sit on the board of OWGR.