letting players though during at tie?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Playing a Tie doesn't give you priority on our course.

Let them through. Does playing a tie give you priority?

I've heard the line "we couldn't let you through because we were playing a match" a few times.
What they actually mean is "we wouldn't let you through"

Even if a Club does have a priority rule, I doubt if it says that matches must NOT let others play through

It cetainly does not say " must not it" it says "have priority"

The story went like this;

a mate and i went out last night to play the 9 hole course as we both had to be back by a certain time. There were a load of kids teeing off so we decided to just play 5 out and 6 back. not a soul on the course, so we cut across to the 13th again no one in sight. got to the 16th and two guys in front just tee'd off and no one in sight in front of them.

Waited a good 10 mins before we could drive ( only taken us an hour 9 holes) played onto the green had a bit of a putt and hung around to let these guys get further on. must have been a good 5 mins again that they finally hit their tee shots. We were both stood there and both these guys did not even make eye contact. again we waited on the tee for a good while and its only a 350 par 4.

then waited on our 2nd shots, played walk up to the tee and these two had still not hit their drives. This time i spoke to them and asked if they were playing a tie, to which they both said yes. then just carried on. Que another 10 min wait on the tee. so we just walked in. it took longer to play 2 holes behind these two than the other 9 holes.

If it were me i would have called though on the 17th tee, not question. I wouldn't want guys just waiting behind:(

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
To your OP i would say yes let the single through (even though you werent a single) unless it was an inter club match , if it was i would be courteous to the visitor and ask did they want to let the single (2) through .

the club should have informed the player an inter club match was on the course and to play accordingly..

Now ya see patrick's real scenario is different in my opinion , here is two lads rushing around the course because they have to be somewhere at a certain time , cutting and chopping which holes they are playing , im sorry Patrick even tho i would let u (ye) through at the time (because i wouldnt be aware of what you were doing) , i would have issues with that ,
(1) if you havent enough time dont play golf .... or pla as many as you can but dont expect others to fit into your timescale
(2)they werent holding you up you skipped holes and caught up that way

i await to be lambasted , for my reply but its my honest answer .. lambaste away but dont cross the line please :thup:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

To your OP i would say yes let the single through (even though you werent a single) unless it was an inter club match , if it was i would be courteous to the visitor and ask did they want to let the single (2) through .

the club should have informed the player an inter club match was on the course and to play accordingly..

Now ya see patrick's real scenario is different in my opinion , here is two lads rushing around the course because they have to be somewhere at a certain time , cutting and chopping which holes they are playing , im sorry Patrick even tho i would let u (ye) through at the time (because i wouldnt be aware of what you were doing) , i would have issues with that ,
(1) if you havent enough time dont play golf .... or pla as many as you can but dont expect others to fit into your timescale

i await to be lambasted , for my reply but its my honest answer .. lambaste away but dont cross the line please :thup:

Think that's a very fair assessment of the situation :thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
[

To a certain extent, but they were not to know we cut in and i would say taking that much time to play 2 holes in match play is very slow. it was just a club knock out, and they didn't know there were two of us either times on the tee as noggin has a weak bladder;)

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Nail on head.

gryffindor

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If having a singleton up your chuff is putting your opposition off - leave them there. If it is putting you off - play them through. Simples. :D

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Also worth remembering that a group playing a whole round has a sort of priority over a group playing less than a whole round - 'is entitled to pass' is the expression - but that may not be relevant if the full round group is slower.

Seems like something to take up with the Club though. It's their Rule.

Scooby999

Club Champion
Visit site
Played a comp tonight, a three ball were out jumping holes to get a cheeky 9 holes in. They asked if we were in a match, when we said yes they said they would wait for us! Courteous I thought. We did say crack on but they said no you guys are on a roll.

what annoyed me more was we have a ladies scratch comp on Sunday and they have been given a practice round. Single female player with dad as a caddy hit six balls to the 13th from where her tee shot landed, I politely explained that this was not a practice green. Dad gave the puffed out shoulders, " were allowed to practice", no sir, your allowed a practice round of golf I explained as politely as possible, that means a round of golf not using our greens as practice areas. He huffed and puffed she picked up five balls and finished a putt!

Apologies rant over and off topic!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
"Do unto others" is not a bad principle. If I were a single player I would not expect to be let through and would put no pressure on the match in front to let me through. I'd either hang back or cut across somewhere. At my club, single players have no standing but most of us do let them through if we're playing a friendly match.

D

Deleted member 15344

"Do unto others" is not a bad principle. If I were a single player I would not expect to be let through and would put no pressure on the match in front to let me through. I'd either hang back or cut across somewhere. At my club, single players have no standing but most of us do let them through if we're playing a friendly match.

Thought single players now have standings on a golf course ?

Always let them through regardless of if I was playing a match. No point in holding him up when he is naturally going to be quicker

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd let them through. If it was an inter club match I would discuss it with the opposition first and go with their decision. As a single behind, if I was told it was a match I would normally duck out of the way or hang way back unless they invited me through. I wouldn't keep pushing and expect to go through.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I really don't understand the hang-up about letting quicker players through. If a golfer or group of golfers are playing faster so be it let them get on with their game and that will leave you to play yours in peace.

It reminds of daft drivers who speed up as you're overtaking - why is it some people / golfers seem to just like to get in the way of others and then whinge on about rules.

If you play faster than me I'm happy to let you through to clear off and if I'm playing faster than you I'd appreciate it if you got out of the way but, if you decide to not to let me through, I really can't give a stuff. I intend enjoying my game and some ignorant git wont stop me.

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
Not the same situation but I had a situation with singles yesterday and I was unsure of what to do.

We were playing in a 3 ball and tee'd off behind another 3 ball who were playing somewhat slower than we were, but not letting us through. On about the 4th or 5th tee we noticed that two singles were coming up behind us (i.e. playing separately, not as a pair) and catching up quite quickly of course.

It got to the point where we were waiting for the 3 ball in front before we could take shots and first single was waiting behind us to tee off (on the longer holes). Fortunately the second single had the sense to start playing 2 or 3 balls, as I would have done.

I wasn't sure whether to let the first guy through or not. My thinking was that we're stuck behind a 3 ball that is quite clearly a bit slower than we are but not letting us through. If we let the single through it's likely the people in front won't let him through either which would leave us stuck behind him too, and, if we let the first single through it would be somewhat of a double standard not to let the 2nd guy through too. Behind him was a 4 ball that was playing regular pace.

In the end we decided to keep playing as we were until the 10th and see what all parties did. The 3 ball carried on as if nothing was amiss. We waited for both singles to come through (we were waiting on the tee for this 3 ball anyway), explained the situation and offered to let them through on the off chance the group in front would but they both said they had only intended to play 9 holes anyway and weren't continuing.

The 3 ball wasn't playing in a match (I asked in the club house after the round).

What would you have done?

I find golf etiquette more concerning then the game itself sometimes!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What would you have done?

I find golf etiquette more concerning then the game itself sometimes!

I'd have taken the first opportunity to let the 1st singles through, not only because that's what should happen but they also provide a convenient way of getting a polite message through to the guys ahead that you would like to be let through - if they aren't being held up themselves.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd have asked the single if he wanted to make up a 4 ball. That 4 ball may well then be matching pace with the slower 3 ball and then nobody it waiting. Even if the person wanted to play his own game, he could do that whilst part of a larger group.

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll bare that in mind for the future - thanks chaps.

I did ask him if he wanted to play as a 4 ball when he was on his way up a fairway that ran adjacent to ours and he said no, so at least I did that right.

This might be a bit sad, but is there a book anywhere about what is considered to be appropriate etiquette in various situations? I think it's the main thing that causes stress for me when playing golf. Worrying about whether what I'm doing is 'correct'.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if we are hosting any inter club comps at my course the course is closed for 30 mins after the last group has teed off and any one playing after is informed that a comp is in progress and they cant play through,when we host the major inter club comp the course is closed for play.