What’s In a Name?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Does your course name each of the holes, maybe even put it on the scorecard. Is there a particular reason it was done? If they are named is it ever used i.e post round bar chat ‘ I got a triple on Stoorie Burn’ or do players just say ‘I got a triple on 12’

There’s obviously some very well known golf holes with names (e.g ‘Road’ at TOC) & given how famous the course is worldwide I can see how players would say I par’d the Road hole but even on such a well known course would the same player really say I par’d Ginger Beer (the 4th) I didn’t even know it had a name until I googled it

Have players unofficially given tag names to certain holes that have caught on at your course, but not used on the card, any funny ones?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ours are named but the only name of the 18th is used in the bar afterwards. It is named Sabrina after (I am lead to believe) the two humps on the fairway that bear a striking resemblance to a certain one hit wonder in the 1980s. Usually mentioned if someone drives past Sabrina or gets stuck on the mounds (ooh err missus!)

D

Deleted member 35504

Bit of a thing of the past really.
Don't think I've ever referred to a hole by its name.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Our course has them (built in the 1980s) but I could only tell you two of them.

One gets used in general chat and that's a par three called Devil's Toenail.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours doesn't.

One course I played a few years ago, Hazlemere has hole names and one of them is "Luke Donald's Ace". I often wonder if they had hole names before that happened and they just changed that one - or whether they wanted to dine out on that much that they had to invent 17 other hole names just so they could write 'Luke Donald's Ace' on that one. 😆

Visit site
My old club (Wildwood) did have names; they were quaint but rarely used to describe your round.

The only exceptions were the par 3 over a lake (named Splash) and the SI 1 which required a drive over a pond, and an approach over a pond (named Davey Jones) - where the names were very self explanatory as to what hole you were on!!

However, telling someone what you did on “Iguanodon”, “Pallinghurst” etc didn’t give anywhere near as much help.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ours doesn't.

One course I played a few years ago, Hazlemere has hole names and one of them is "Luke Donald's Ace". I often wonder if they had hole names before that happened and they just changed that one - or whether they wanted to dine out on that much that they had to invent 17 other hole names just so they could write 'Luke Donald's Ace' on that one. 😆

We've no names at home course but after yesterdays round I'm thinking Slab's Near Miss might be a good name for our Par 3 4th :unsure:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like them. There is a license to get creative with them which some courses do and others couldn't give a toss.

The names certainly beat talking about the numbers of the holes at differnt clubs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Augusta has hole names but you never really hear them used do you? I'm surprised they haven't shoved that down our necks along with 'patrons' and the other nonsense phrases they use.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ours are named but the only name of the 18th is used in the bar afterwards. It is named Sabrina after (I am lead to believe) the two humps on the fairway that bear a striking resemblance to a certain one hit wonder in the 1980s. Usually mentioned if someone drives past Sabrina or gets stuck on the mounds (ooh err missus!)
No no no.

Sabrina was a model and actress named Norma Ann Sykes of 1950s fame. Passed away in 2016.

The 1980s singer was a poor name-stealing copycat.

D

Deleted member 35504

Augusta has hole names but you never really hear them used do you? I'm surprised they haven't shoved that down our necks along with 'patrons' and the other nonsense phrases they use.
The 12th is (I think) Azalea, they mention that a little bit.
Another one Woosnam named his clothing brand after, apart from that not a clue.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No no no.

Sabrina was a model and actress named Norma Ann Sykes of 1950s fame. Passed away in 2016.

The 1980s singer was a poor name-stealing copycat.
Equal assets so may have been named after her, but my group are far too young to know her and have fond memories of the 80s version.

PS - The original Sabrina may be a relative of mine as we both have the same surname - probably not though ;)

Voyager EMH

Visit site
We have names for all our holes. I'm probably one of a mere handful of sad old (insert suitable) that know them.
I just can't seem to unremember them.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Equal assets so may have been named after her, but my group are far too young to know her and have fond memories of the 80s version.

PS - The original Sabrina may be a relative of mine as we both have the same surname - probably not though ;)
Perhaps you are more likely related to the late Paul Sykes from Wakefield. ;)

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I always thought they mentioned the names quite a lot in the preview shows/studio chat and socials posts.

Fortunately the commentators don’t seem to do it thought, that would be hard to keep up with.