kicked off a competition for being a 22 handicap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was unable to win (get my name on the board) during my first year in the major comps when I moved to lee park.

Liverbirdie and his cronies have been burnt by bandits in the past I believe. Coming in, sweeping the comps unfairly.

I had no problems about that. Not that I worried the leaderboard on any of them btw. I could still compete. Just no gold lettering.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
you'll have to forgive me but my golf knowledge is limited as i am very new to it all, but i submitted 3 cards about 7 months ago to get my 22 handicap but was told that to enter competitions i had to play in 3 competitions to activate my handicap.

Apologies if I am repeating what others have already said......

If you had a 22 handicap allocated to you 7 months ago, it is "active". An active (or competition) handicap stays active for one year from the date of allocation.
An active handicap allows you to play in any "Open" competition, at any course in the country, as long as you meet any other qualifying criteria particular to that event.
It certainly would not exclude you from entering any competition at your own club UNLESS there was a maximum handicap for that competition in force. This would be clearly stated on the start sheet or entry form. And if there was a maximum handicap in force your pro should have known and advised.
You have been done up like a kipper.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Gob smacked :eek:

I'd be demanding my membership and any other monies I have paid to The Bristol GC back and tell the club to swivel, I've never read such disgraceful behaviour, not only from the Handicap Secretary or Competition Secretary but the Pro also in allowing himself to side with the 2 idiotic playing partners, irrelevant of their handicaps, but it would seem that they think there something special, well they are special indeed but not in the nicest of ways!

There are huge amounts of media and investments going on currently with National incentives to [get into golf] so the actions of the Pro was hugely negative and very weak. Was it the main Pro, his assistant or 1 of the trainees? Not that it should matter but I'm interested to know!

I think the quicker your out of the The Bristol GC the better, I'd be writing a letter [recorded] to the Secretary/General Manager demanding all your investment back and find a more welcoming club which ironically all advertise themselves as but in this case, they clearly aren't.

Are you TC?

Last edited:

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seriously, if you decide to leave then filton is just down the road from The Bristol, and i can't imagine anything like what happened to you happening here. And if it did there would be hell to pay.
I'll sign you in as a guest sometime if you want to check it out. PM me.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
This is one of those things where you almost can't believe it happened. The guy himself should feel like a monumental idiot for his actions. What an absolutely ridiculous way to react.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is one of those things where you almost can't believe it happened. The guy himself should feel like a monumental idiot for his actions. What an absolutely ridiculous way to react.

This, hard to believe something like this could happen! What saddens me even more is the behaviour of the pro and handicap secretary.

Utterly disgraceful, there really are some absolute bell ends at golf clubs.

I would be going ballistic with the club manager/secretary and getting out of there ASAP.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another who thinks you have been treated disgracefully. If it were me I would not let it drop until you got some satisfaction then I would leave. By the way would it cost you to leave?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Cant expect a transcript of course but cant shake the thought that we're missing something here

the behaviour from the 2 cat 1's seems seems totally out of order & unacceptable even for snobby golfers

Cant help wondering what reason the 4 h/c guy gave the OP for wanting a lift to the pro shop half way down the 1st hole, and what response the OP gave that meant the trio willingly suspended their game to accommodate a lift back to the clubhouse to his FC!

I mean just try to imagine it... I'm struggling to think what scenario would prompt a 4 h/c guy to act in this way (not saying its justifiable only trying to think from his perspective, what info was he basing his actions on) and for the pro to support it then might it be something else rather than them not wanting to play with a 22 h/c player in their group

Also what were the 5 h/c guy and the following group thinking/doing while play was suspended in the OP's group, the whole thing seems surreal

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep. Pretty disgusting treatment by most concerned.

However, I get the feeling that there may be a Club rule about having played in 3 Medals (after the 3 cards for handicap) before being allowed to enter a 'Major' - or at least win it. So that may have been the excuse for the Cat 1 guys who obviously didn't want to play with a Cat 4 guy!

There's certainly seems to have been a likely DQ breach by the player when he hitched a ride in your buggy!

If that's the sort of folk that are at the Club, then I'd certainly be considering leaving for one with players with better attitudes!

Whoever was in the Pro Shop doesn't seem to have been particularly competent either!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
However, I get the feeling that there may be a Club rule about having played in 3 Medals (after the 3 cards for handicap) before being allowed to enter a 'Major'

But was this a "Major?"
Held on a Wednesday (most BIG comps at my place are on a Sat/Sun).
And even if it was an honours board event, there should be no reason why the guy couldn't enter it with a valid handicap.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought the OP said that he put in his 3 cards to get his initial handicap and the club rule was that you had to play 3 comps before you could win one. My understanding was that this was to be the third of those comps which would have enabled him to play in the next big comp coming up. Because he wasn't allowed to complete his round he only has 2 comp rounds and so is unable now to play in the upcoming comp.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
But was this a "Major?"
Held on a Wednesday (most BIG comps at my place are on a Sat/Sun).
And even if it was an honours board event, there should be no reason why the guy couldn't enter it with a valid handicap.

Had a look at The Bristol's comps and last Saturday ( As OP said it happened last sat )and the comp was "County Gold Medal " and the highest handicap in the comp is an 11 .

Still no excuse the behaviour though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had a look at The Bristol's comps and last Saturday ( As OP said it happened last sat )and the comp was "County Gold Medal " and the highest handicap in the comp is an 11 .

Still no excuse the behaviour though.

There is also a mention of the OP not being on the sheet or paying the entry fee earlier. maybe we are not getting the full story here?

I can't understand why someone would go to all that trouble to not play with a 22 handicap, without some sort of reasonable explanation?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing 3 comps with a valid handicap before being able to win a comp isn't out of the ordinary - it's done to stop a new member putting in 3 rubbish cards to get a 28 handicap then playing a gross 74 to win the biggest competition of the year, whatever that may be.

It makes sense, especially to courses who have seen bandits in the past do this sort of thing.

The attitude of the FC is a disgrace. I'd be looking at moving from that course ASAP!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'd be looking at moving from that course ASAP!

I think moving on is almost a given after all the negative publicity and the focus that will be on this issue. I certainly wouldn't want to continue playing there with all the mutterings going on in the background. Even some that may support the OP over the issue may be unhappy about how this is being washed in public.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So might we have a situation where the OP wanted to enter three comps ahead of the biggie comp (to fulfill a club rule on entry to big comps) but that he may not have been eligible to enter the third one while playing off a 22 handicap and the two cat 1 boys weren't happy to have a non eligible player in their comp group?

Status
Not open for further replies.