Course Handicap

sunshine

Visit site
Differences in elevation are recorded from tee to green, and from landing zone to green for approach shots; and accounted for by effective playing length corrections and topography.

Thanks, I was looking for a more structured explanation, but it's ok if you don't have this (y)

As the raters don't have a robot that hits a consistent 250 yards, I was wondering how the raters calculate the impact of factors such as elevation, wind, etc.

wjemather

Visit site
Thanks, I was looking for a more structured explanation, but it's ok if you don't have this (y)

As the raters don't have a robot that hits a consistent 250 yards, I was wondering how the raters calculate the impact of factors such as elevation, wind, etc.
For the most part, recorded values translate to adjustments via lookup tables - there is no calculation of the impact by raters.

D-S

Visit site

The raters have to give elevation changes in certain bands 20-40 feet 40 - 50 feet etc. (I think ythe bands have changed recently but can check if you want as we are doing a couple in the next week or so).
Estimations of roll are made on each fairway. The default is 20 yards from the tee on a flat hole onto a flat fairway. If the fairway is a an incline the roll is reduced and if it is downhill it is increased.

wjemather

Visit site
The raters have to give elevation changes in certain bands 20-40 feet 40 - 50 feet etc. (I think ythe bands have changed recently but can check if you want as we are doing a couple in the next week or so).
Estimations of roll are made on each fairway. The default is 20 yards from the tee on a flat hole onto a flat fairway. If the fairway is a an incline the roll is reduced and if it is downhill it is increased.
Elevation changes under 10ft are recorded as zero; anything above 10ft is rounded to the nearest 10ft; maximum ±40ft for par 3s.

sunshine

Visit site

Thanks. This is really interesting to understand the methodology.

So what you're saying is there is a standard calculation table, e.g. the model scratch golfer hits a drive 230 yards carry plus 20 yards roll, then the carry is adjusted based on elevation and the roll is adjusted based on incline. And then I assume prevailing wind is also factored in.

And then the same process is applied for a bogey golfer who hits a drive 180 carry plus 20 yards roll?

D-S

Visit site
Thanks. This is really interesting to understand the methodology.

So what you're saying is there is a standard calculation table, e.g. the model scratch golfer hits a drive 230 yards carry plus 20 yards roll, then the carry is adjusted based on elevation and the roll is adjusted based on incline. And then I assume prevailing wind is also factored in.

And then the same process is applied for a bogey golfer who hits a drive 180 carry plus 20 yards roll?
Yup.

Average wind speed is also somewhere in the background calculation too.