kicked off a competition for being a 22 handicap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
OP, I feel for you, fella. I am utterly dumbstruck that another golfer could do this to a fellow player.

Don't let it put you off though. I think that if you let the board know where your location is, someone will be able to recommend a club in the area that isn't full of weak staff members and a committee that isn't a boys club.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So might we have a situation where the OP wanted to enter three comps ahead of the biggie comp (to fulfill a club rule on entry to big comps) but that he may not have been eligible to enter the third one while playing off a 22 handicap and the two cat 1 boys weren't happy to have a non eligible player in their comp group?

I can see that may be the case, but is it the other 2's place to do what they did? After all, it isn't a match play comp, it's between you and the course. If the OP shoots well and is DQ'ed for some reason or another so be it, doesn't / shouldn't affect the OP's FC's who surely should just play their own game?

Sounds like they were trying to find a reason not to play with him. Plus, being new to the whole competition scene, a quiet word / bit of advice etc would be the way forward with a new member rather than parading around like the 2 Cat 1's rule the place?

Just all seems very much like bad form!

Agree with Hobbit though, could be a case of moving on regardless now...

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought the OP said that he put in his 3 cards to get his initial handicap and the club rule was that you had to play 3 comps before you could win one. My understanding was that this was to be the third of those comps which would have enabled him to play in the next big comp coming up. Because he wasn't allowed to complete his round he only has 2 comp rounds and so is unable now to play in the upcoming comp.

That is the same at our club. You can put 3 supplementaries in (to get an initial handicap), but to win a major you have also got to put in 3 competition cards before you can win a major, so you have to go in 3 comps first (unpaid in the comp).

This is a club rule brought in after someone joined 10+ years ago and won 8 majors in the first year.

Terrible behaviour from the other golfers.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
8 majors in the first year. This was a time before esr. Did the handicap secretary not go to town after his first few majors? Surely after his 7th win he must have been cut to a seriously low number.

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site
Cant expect a transcript of course but cant shake the thought that we're missing something here

the behaviour from the 2 cat 1's seems seems totally out of order & unacceptable even for snobby golfers

Cant help wondering what reason the 4 h/c guy gave the OP for wanting a lift to the pro shop half way down the 1st hole, and what response the OP gave that meant the trio willingly suspended their game to accommodate a lift back to the clubhouse to his FC!

I mean just try to imagine it... I'm struggling to think what scenario would prompt a 4 h/c guy to act in this way (not saying its justifiable only trying to think from his perspective, what info was he basing his actions on) and for the pro to support it then might it be something else rather than them not wanting to play with a 22 h/c player in their group

Also what were the 5 h/c guy and the following group thinking/doing while play was suspended in the OP's group, the whole thing seems surreal
this seems very good questions

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Had a look at The Bristol's comps and last Saturday ( As OP said it happened last sat )and the comp was "County Gold Medal " and the highest handicap in the comp is an 11 .

Still no excuse the behaviour though.

That's just Div1, there's a Div2 also with a few Cat4's who played, so if he had submitted 3 cards to obtain his initial handicap and this was his 3rd comp which then enabled him to play in the clubs majors, he has been harshly treated, if its something else then he has still been ill informed and treated in a disgusting way by everyone concerned.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
8 majors in the first year. This was a time before esr. Did the handicap secretary not go to town after his first few majors? Surely after his 7th win he must have been cut to a seriously low number.

Dunno mate, think it may have even been 15-20 years ago, well before my time at LP.

Dunno if they had ESR's then, and if 2-3 are matchplay, may not get picked up until the January, and all the damage would have been done by then.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
But was this a "Major?"
Held on a Wednesday (most BIG comps at my place are on a Sat/Sun).
And even if it was an honours board event, there should be no reason why the guy couldn't enter it with a valid handicap.

Read the OP again Smiffy! The comp where it all happened was played on a Saturday - and would have been the last of his 3 medals requirement prior to the 'big' one, that he was really interested, in on Wednesday!

Doesn't excuse the attitude of the FC though! And seems to me that the Pro got it wrong too!

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe they were right, you sound a right bandit!:D

Been accused of being a "bandit" on the odd occasion myself but then I'll have a crap round and all is forgotten but the thing I will say say is what possessed the op to give him a lift back to the pro-shop in the first place, if I'd have been treated like that I'd have "politely" ;) told him to walk back !...:thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But most clubs have a rule meaning that 3 comps per year have to be played (cards handed in to determine initial handicap don't count towards these) in to be eligible to win anything.

I've nevber actually heard of that before. Doesn't mean it's not the case. Pretty certainly not the case at my club

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Exactly this

The rules can be found out but that will never excuse their treatment. And attitude to the player - it's shocking tbh

As ever I am in complete agreement with Phil...:)

...absolutely shocking arrogance and selfish disregard towards you by your playing partners. It is NOT the norm. But I can't help feeling there is more to this than we know as OP is clearly new to comps and the club. I'm thinking max handicap 18 (as opposed to max handicap allowance of 18)

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That is outrageous.

Come up to Filton, friendly welcoming club and you won't get any of that guff.

+1 from me on Filton - top club - great members. Also best buddy a member of The Kendleshire - good club by sounds of it if I know my buddy, and good track.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
As ever I am in complete agreement with Phil...:)

...absolutely shocking arrogance and selfish disregard towards you by your playing partners. It is NOT the norm. But I can't help feeling there is more to this than we know as OP is clearly new to comps and the club. I'm thinking max handicap 18 (as opposed to max handicap allowance of 18)

Not the case as I stated in a previous post, the comp in question had a good number of Cat 4's in it displaying handicaps of 26, 24, 22 etc, and even if that was the case, which it isn't, the way not only the club went about it before & after and the actions of the op's playing partners is nothing short of a disgrace, and that goes for the Pro also!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So many things not adding up.

If this was your third comp, how come you didn't know where to sign into the comp.
Why did you not pay as there is pretty much always a fee.
Why did you give this fella a lift back to the clubhouse, or why didn't you ask him why he wanted to go back.
Why didn't you get a full explanation if you were indeed going to be thrown out of the comp.

Btw, don't leave the club just because these guys acted like tits. You won't have to play with them again. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If this was your third comp, how come you didn't know where to sign into the comp.
Why did you give this fella a lift back to the clubhouse, or why didn't you ask him why he wanted to go back.
Why didn't you get a full explanation if you were indeed going to be thrown out of the comp.

Btw, don't leave the club just because these guys acted like tits. You won't have to play with them again. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

images

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

yes this is not as cut and dried as it appears.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gob smacked :eek:

I'd be demanding my membership and any other monies I have paid to The Bristol GC back and tell the club to swivel, I've never read such disgraceful behaviour, not only from the Handicap Secretary or Competition Secretary but the Pro also in allowing himself to side with the 2 idiotic playing partners, irrelevant of their handicaps, but it would seem that they think there something special, well they are special indeed but not in the nicest of ways!

There are huge amounts of media and investments going on currently with National incentives to [get into golf] so the actions of the Pro was hugely negative and very weak. Was it the main Pro, his assistant or 1 of the trainees? Not that it should matter but I'm interested to know!

I think the quicker your out of the The Bristol GC the better, I'd be writing a letter [recorded] to the Secretary/General Manager demanding all your investment back and find a more welcoming club which ironically all advertise themselves as but in this case, they clearly aren't.

Are you TC?

Completely agree not only the actions of the players disgusted me but the pro shop too. Personally it would completely tarnish my membership and would be looking at moving on ASAP.

I've played with lower hcp when I first joined and all were welcoming and helpful, explaining rules and etiquette on the way round. Really sad you had to go through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.