How short?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Our 18th is 198 yards, slightly uphill, oob round the back, 3 bunkers. Summer off the whites I'd normally play a 5 iron but it can be a 19° rescue sometimes into a strong prevailing wind

D

Deleted member 18588

Surprisingly our last hole is our shortest at 152 off the whites.

The three other par 3's are all 160 to 172.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sandy Lodge 8th is 102 off the tips, 95 off the shorts, but often plays nearer 85. The green is small and heavily tilted left to right. When it's firm, it's like crazy golf. Really silly golf hole. Ruins an OK golf course.
Oddly, the downhill 7th at 196 plays shorter than 196, and is a nice par 3.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our shortest is 166yds - but there are plans that could see it reduced to 148yds.

Course architect's thinking is that our course could do with a 'better' mix of length as our par 3s are all quite long ( others are 181, 183 and 208). The plans also include other changes to the hole to make it a bit more 'interesting' as at the moment it is a fairly bland - though quite difficult - hole.

DCB

Visit site
Our 7th is 118 yds off the Medal marker. It's all carry, as there is a dip between tee and green. Come up short and you are 10' below the green. Bunkers to the right, gorse behind and a drop off into rough on the left side. I think I've had everything from a hole in one to double figures on it over the years.

D

Deleted member 23344

Our shortest is the 2nd, which is 150 off the whites. I can remember that the 8th on the now gone Phoenix Course at Cottismore was only about 95 ... but it was a small green.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's an absolute joy to watch the pros play pebble beach with the amount of small greens. Rewards great iron shots, being on the right side of the fairway to open up the pin. If a player comes up short or misses on the wrong side, slopes can take the ball away from the pin meaning 15 foot putt at best.

The whole package is so much better to watch. Course designers have it all wrong with greens the size of a small car park. The pros can 2 putt these unbelievably well where as we 3 putt them more often than not.

Why oh why make par 5 greens these big huge things. If they are supposed to be played as 3 shots a smallish green will do. If you can get ur 2nd onto this then you should be rewarded with a 2 putt birdie. The modern power game makes a nonsense of these.