How short?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
“ The Cove” at Seahouses 124 yds. Once voted one of the hardest 18 holes in the world. a gorgeous hole over the North Sea all the way from tee to green. Sea houses has some gorgeous par 3’s

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
128 yard 12th. Lovely hole, one of Harry Colts best.(y)

Unusually it shares the tee with our 15th which is the longest par three on the course. Just make sure you don’t mix the holes up at the H4H day.:eek:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the new club the 6th hole is around 109 I think, but is still a bit of a git since the green is on such a slope it's practically sideways, and naturally because of the length it's si 18 (or 17, can't quite remember).

At my other club, shortest is around 125 and the green just slightly above the tee so you can't always see where you've ended up until you walk up there. And if you did get a hole in one you wouldn't see it go in. ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reading some of the replies, I can't believe some of you don't have a hole under 150 yards! I would hate to play somewhere like that, that's no fun. You need to have a couple of short ones in there!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Our 2nd shortest is 141 but the general rule of thumb is that you play the same club as you do on the shortest hole as it's about 20 yards downhill.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
The 5th on the Hotchkin is 148 yards off the tips. Bunkers everywhere and a 2 tiered green which is oblique to you. Hardest pin is at the front because that level is only about 20% of the green. It’s a little bugger!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The 5th on the Hotchkin is 148 yards off the tips. Bunkers everywhere and a 2 tiered green which is oblique to you. Hardest pin is at the front because that level is only about 20% of the green. It’s a little bugger!
This sounds very much like one of the re-design options we have for the par 3 we are likely to shorten - to 148yds by coincidence. We like our tiered greens at Farnham ? The design is to have a 'new' green angled ‘close front left‘ to ‘far back right’ with front half of green easily accessible for easy pin, back half tucked behind a bunker and slightly raised for difficult pin positions.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's a long old course. At least it rewards you with the shortest hole coming at the 17th! I could never join a course of that length. Ours is about 5650 off the whites and that's more my cup of tea.

I didn't think I would join a course like that

But everytime I play I fall more in love with it

Something about the holes where a misplaced shot can be the difference between a par and a triple

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

The first time I played that hole, I thought it a bit odd that it was a par 3 with no bunkers. How wrong can you be, but off the tee where we were, you just couldn't see them.
My ball found one easy enough though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't think I would join a course like that

But everytime I play I fall more in love with it

Something about the holes where a misplaced shot can be the difference between a par and a triple
It's not just the overall length, I just find shorter courses give you more variety. My club has it's long holes, but we also have 260-yarder where you lay up before a ditch, a 312-yarder with trouble all down the right hand side - you don't have any short par 4s at all there which feels like a shame really. I don't know your course obviously but from the card alone it looks like a slog (especially in winter!).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not just the overall length, I just find shorter courses give you more variety. My club has it's long holes, but we also have 260-yarder where you lay up before a ditch, a 312-yarder with trouble all down the right hand side - you don't have any short par 4s at all there which feels like a shame really. I don't know your course obviously but from the card alone it looks like a slog (especially in winter!).

It's not as bad as it looks, really rewarding, plus the wind can help / hinder you

They say there is no true trust as links and this is the nearest to a links course round here , 9 mins door to door.

Would like a couple short par 4s but the next 9 being built may have them

Even still in summer the ball rolls for miles

That last par 5 I've gone through the back in 2 just from the wind and I'm not a long hitter by any means

D

Deleted member 21258

At home course, shortish par 3 off whites is 151 yards.

One course I used to play at regularly Hainault Upper course, hole 15 par 3 is 106 yards. Missed the green fairly regularly and some of the bare lies made it hard to get up and down:whistle:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not as bad as it looks, really rewarding, plus the wind can help / hinder you

They say there is no true trust as links and this is the nearest to a links course round here , 9 mins door to door.

Would like a couple short par 4s but the next 9 being built may have them

Even still in summer the ball rolls for miles

That last par 5 I've gone through the back in 2 just from the wind and I'm not a long hitter by any means

When summer comes, the course is dry & sun is shining, and restrictions are all but a thing of the past, i might just chance my luck and beg a game ...