How short?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Our 11th is 133yds on the scorecard but plays like 110-115 yards normally. Tee box feels enclosed - always calm - but the green is open to winds; Big tree front left (20 yards short) catches a lot of balls, bunkers front and right, cabbage the whole length rights and behind. Small green. In theory needs a simple wedge, hit sort of straight. Green slopes right to left. Not a hard hole by any means, but you must find the green with your first otherwise you need some good skills to get up and down.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Our 4th is 95 of the whites, maybe 92 of the yellows. Anything topped goes into heavy rough, anything long leaves a tricky downhill chip, possibly of a bank.

We have 6 par 3 holes, I hate 4 of them. This isn’t one. 95 is (was) my full PW.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our local links course has a delightful short par 3. Well placed as the 16th hole. A chance to claw back a hole or finish the match with one well struck short iron.
Green slopes left to right. Run off on the right can kick you right down into a small stream.
Seen all sorts of numbers on this hole from an ace to comedy scores.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our 2nd is the shortest at 156yards off the whites.

Tbh I think the hole plays better at 126 off the yellows. Between a small stream, a couple of very big trees and decent rough, the green is well enough protected that it still requires a decent shot. We already have another par three that measures 160 and others up to 200, So I think having a range of par 3's from short to long gives a better test of golf.

sunshine

Visit site
I love a short par 3, probably my favourite type of hole. The challenge of distance control with a wedge, especially on a windy links or if there is a significant change in elevation. Some crackers spring to mind:

Woburn Dukes 3rd
Dundonald 11th
Aldeburgh 4th
Royal West Norfolk 4th
Las Colinas 7th

sunshine

Visit site
Sandy Lodge has a short hole which is no more than 100 yards off the tips, usually plays 90ish yards when I've been there. Although I enjoy the club selection debate (three quarter PW or full 54*) I'm not sure if it's a great hole.

Shortest on my course is 141. It's a lovely hole, and the right distance for the green complex, but it isn't short enough to be really interesting.

D-S

Visit site
Just remembered another gem, 5th on East course at Saunton -122 off the tips, 117 from the whites - as with all links short holes the wind is the issue, more so with a lofted club in your hand. Great little hole.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our shortest is 172 yards off the White Tee's (158 off the Yellow), with the rest at 180, 185 and 194. There is seldom more than 1 club difference between all four, personally I think the course would benefit greatly from having at least one of the par 3's a couple of clubs shorter than the current shortest.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Okehampton has one that I think is about 94 yards off the whites, but also has about 100ft height drop, so plays at about 60 yrds. Incredibly difficult to hit anything short enough that has to carry some crap. A lot of people end up in the river behind

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Okehampton has one that I think is about 94 yards off the whites, but also has about 100ft height drop, so plays at about 60 yrds. Incredibly difficult to hit anything short enough that has to carry some crap. A lot of people end up in the river behind
There's a little nine holer near me called Nine of Herts that has a hole like that - 80 yards but with the green miles below the tee, and if you go long you're in the abyss. I never know what club to hit. I've tried hitting a little knock-down pitch, but if you're short and it hits the downslope then you're going through the back. I end up having to hit a three quarter 56° or something, which I'm terrible at. Embarrassing to admit you bogeyed or worse an 80 yard hole but it has happened more than once. Harder than it looks. ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our local links course has a delightful short par 3. Well placed as the 16th hole. A chance to claw back a hole or finish the match with one well struck short iron.
Green slopes left to right. Run off on the right can kick you right down into a small stream.
Seen all sorts of numbers on this hole from an ace to comedy scores.

That hole proves to me everything that is right in a hole design. It’s not massive, it’s reachable. You more or less know which club you need depending on wind etc. It’s a challenge. Screw up and your next shot is a sand wedge, at best. That is a hole I would love to play, swear like a miner coz Ave screwed up, then go back and play it agai.

Good post Gary.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Sandy Lodge has a short hole which is no more than 100 yards off the tips, usually plays 90ish yards when I've been there. Although I enjoy the club selection debate (three quarter PW or full 54*) I'm not sure if it's a great hole.

Shortest on my course is 141. It's a lovely hole, and the right distance for the green complex, but it isn't short enough to be really interesting.

Sunshine, outta interest, you mention Pw to 54, do you have any clubs in between or is that your choice of clubs debate due to wind etc ?

sunshine

Visit site
Sunshine, outta interest, you mention Pw to 54, do you have any clubs in between or is that your choice of clubs debate due to wind etc ?

I don't have anything in between PW (46*) and 54* which is a 30 yard gap on a full swing. I have thought about getting a 50* gap wedge, but I have a reliable system to adjust flight and distance (3 swing lengths x 3 levels of gripping down) so I'm comfortable hitting my distances. I also have a 58* lob wedge.

One less wedge allows me to carry an extra hybrid, I prefer the flexibility at the top of the bag where I don't have the skill to manipulate ball flight.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I don't have anything in between PW (46*) and 54* which is a 30 yard gap on a full swing. I have thought about getting a 50* gap wedge, but I have a reliable system to adjust flight and distance (3 swing lengths x 3 levels of gripping down) so I'm comfortable hitting my distances. I also have a 58* lob wedge.

One less wedge allows me to carry an extra hybrid, I prefer the flexibility at the top of the bag where I don't have the skill to manipulate ball flight.
? my clubs go pw,48,52 and 56. At one time I loved all me wedges but since I bought Ping I use my PW a hell of a lot, but cannot remember when I last used me 52. That said not being a long hitter I would not use any of my mentioned clubs on our shortest par 3

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
14th at Styal
14th. 118 off whites. bunkers either side. Never been in either. Flick with a PW. 2 putt or three putt. Walk on.....usually. Occasionally get it wrong, but not very often.
PS This is computer generated. It does NOT look like this in reality. The reality is the green looks like a bomb site, and if the fairway is ever cut to look like that we are in for a hefty hike in fees.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our shortest is 172 yards off the White Tee's (158 off the Yellow), with the rest at 180, 185 and 194. There is seldom more than 1 club difference between all four, personally I think the course would benefit greatly from having at least one of the par 3's a couple of clubs shorter than the current shortest.

That seems totally pointless, Shirley park had it right, four all at various lengths from 130 to 210 and were pretty evenly spaced.

My personal feelings are that shorter par 3’s in windy conditions make manufacturing a shot so much more enjoyable - also makes it more fun for the seniors not hitting hybrids of fairway woods into every par3