How far do you hit driver?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Always shocked how far it doesn’t go when I think I’ve smoked it. 200 plus, but not plus much.

I have this a lot, I swing hard and think I've caught one flush, everyone says it looks massive. Get to the ball and my mate who's hit a toey-hooky shot is 20 yards past me.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just incredibly wasteful with my energy and speed. Ie a lot of movement for not a lot of clubhead and subsequently ballspeed.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
You’re obviously a much better player and lower hcap but it’s interesting to compare what we’re working on - currently similar things and that our targets for LA and AoA are the same

Yes sounds like we want the same numbers, I'm working on making my swing shallower in the transition but with everything else I'm working on it actually means I hit down more on my irons and have more shaft lean.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have this a lot, I swing hard and think I've caught one flush, everyone says it looks massive. Get to the ball and my mate who's hit a toey-hooky shot is 20 yards past me.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just incredibly wasteful with my energy and speed. Ie a lot of movement for not a lot of clubhead and subsequently ballspeed.
Could be the ball.. or the club. Best buy a new driver just in case.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site

It does sound that way, it's amazing how far you can hit the ball using your body correctly and sequencing the swing correctly. I have a habit of being too arm driver rather than using the bigger muscles but the work I'm doing is pushing me towards the correct pivot etc & it feels effortless to get almost the same yardage as I used to get when swinging like a madman.

RichA

Visit site
Not many holes at ours that aren't on hills, so difficult to be sure, but successful drives probably average 200-220. Unfortunately, unsuccessful drives left, right, or skied dead straight and short make up about 50% of my tee shots.
If I bothered recording stats, I'd probably find my overall average tee shots are longer when I use 5i rather than driver, but then I get called nasty names by my playing partners and don't feel like a real golfer.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't have a precise idea, but not far enough on the first (lands in trouble) and too far on the 14th..... but it very much depends on the hole.

Our first is flat-ish and the trouble starts at 220ish and ends about 240ish so I'm somewhere in that bracket for carry, but it's virtually always into the wind.
The 14th is 250ish to the middle of the green but it's slightly downhill and the driver carries beyond the green but I don't really think I carry the drive 250+.
The 18th is a par 5, less than 500 from the back. Maybe twice a season I get on in 2 but the majority of the time I play hybrid, 8i (+/- a club) then PW and walk of with a birdie or par - I've come to learn that's the percentage play for decent scores.
What I do know is we have a few 400+ yard par 4s that, from my experience, the majority struggle to get on in 2 - I can still make them, but I could be hitting anything from a 3 wood to a 9i in depending on the tee shot, weather, course conditions etc. What I also know is that a lot of the older gentlemen I play with regularly walk off with a par despite being a good 30 yards behind on the drive.

We have a 600+ yard par 5 that plays up to dogleg and then down to the green. I used to think you had to get to the corner to give yourself a chance but that's not true at all. 180 off the tee, if you keep it left, means you can cut the corner with your second shot which by the time the downhill nature of the hole comes into play leaves a shot to the green.

Granted we have no forced carries but at other courses (eg 15th Concrawood) I'm happy enough to think I fly it 220, so I'm really concerned about distance. But I'd still like another 20 yards on the first!

RichA

Visit site
Getting a GPS watch was quite a shock to the system for me. I have now stopped measuring drives, it saves disappointment :cry:
Same. Now that I'm only using it for distance to green and not bothering with stats, I'm pleased I got an all round fitness Garmin, rather than the more expensive golf dominant one.

D

Deleted member 1147

That’s funny last time we did this you were 280 average,what’s happened

Not 280 carry!...I've lost swing speed in the last couple of years, what with no gym sessions for 2 years. I've restarted now, so hopefully will re-find some of the old power ??

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Around 220-230 carry normally, quite a low flight though and so I struggle in winter, but I’m up there with the big boys in summer with a hop skip and a jump!

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I hit 215 carry and average out at 229, I wish everyone would post their handicap Index, as this would give a good indication of how bad their short game is or they are only stating their Sunday best drive. My Index is 3.9

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
This thread has convinced me I am in the same ball park as most on here, averaging about 200-220 carry.

Played today and it was cold and windy. Hit my best drive 250 (total, but not a massive amount of roll today), but then also hit one 160 total into the wind (and was still a decent strike). If I get over 230 yards in total, and I am on the fairway, I am happy.

15.8 index currently, but no qualifying at our place in winter, so expect to come down at least 3 or 4 when we start again, based on my normal scores these last few months.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Just got back from a new Top Tracer range that's opened near me.

Quality of strike dependant, some carried 200 yards, some carried 235ish.

My P-Avg on Shot Scope for 2021 was 252 so that's about right, longest was 304 ?