How far do you hit driver?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We had a nob at Pyrford who was always going on about how far he could hit a ball. So we set him up to play in a roll-up with myself and another co-conspirator and began tracking all the yardages of each of our drives. By the end, when he hadn't got past a single one of my drives, we went through the numbers and really nailed him. And of course we got the "well I wasn't really hitting it well today" comment. The other guy just gave him so much stick I actually felt sorry for him by the end. But it was the typical "my nob is about three inches longer than average" type view of his abilities.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Now in my 70s, the carry is usually about 170 if I get it right … then it depends on roll.

If anyone knows the 16th at Bletchingley … a couple of summers ago, when the ground was really hard, the ball rolled out to about 200 yards and reached the point where the fairway goes over an edge and then runs very steeply downhill. According to my GPS watch, the ball ended up 380 yards from the tee. So I have driven a ball 380 yards. ??

Harry Putter

Visit site
Not 280 carry!...I've lost swing speed in the last couple of years, what with no gym sessions for 2 years. I've restarted now, so hopefully will re-find some of the old power ??

Just out of interest, what are your gym routines? I'm after about a 45 min session in a typical gym which is soley dedicated to golf and strength for increased clubhead speed. I know Titleist TPI has loads of exercises but it's difficult condensing them down to one routine.. cheers.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just out of interest, what are your gym routines? I'm after about a 45 min session in a typical gym which is soley dedicated to golf and strength for increased clubhead speed. I know Titleist TPI has loads of exercises but it's difficult condensing them down to one routine.. cheers.
I’m getting back to where I was, so am not really doing anything golf specific. But what I do, & used to do, a lot of was:
- dead lifts with a trap bar
- front squats
- leg press
- leg extension
- leg curls
- explosive press ups
- pull ups
- upper back pulls
- cable flies
- bench press
- incline press
- cable work such as wood cuts, Russian twists, face pulls, straight arm rows etc

I’ve always done everything in 5 by 5 training.

I’d do leg and core one day, and then upper body and core the next.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good one 255 yds
Average 245 yds
Bad one is a top could go anywhere, just don’t know where they come from.
Thankfully it’s not to often.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now in my 70s, the carry is usually about 170 if I get it right … then it depends on roll.

If anyone knows the 16th at Bletchingley … a couple of summers ago, when the ground was really hard, the ball rolled out to about 200 yards and reached the point where the fairway goes over an edge and then runs very steeply downhill. According to my GPS watch, the ball ended up 380 yards from the tee. So I have driven a ball 380 yards. ??
My uncle has a similar story about hitting a 400 yard drive. I forget the course and hole, but it went 200 yards uphill, in the height of summer, then rolled all the way back down to his feet. ?

4LEX

Visit site
Off scratch and hit it around 240-260 winter and 260-280 summer. Obviously downwind, downhill it goes further.

I hit most fairways and my misses are semi rough. Unless you're playing courses over 7,250 yards that's more than enough. Courses around 6000-6500 (the vast majority in the UK) I'll have wedges into half the holes and be on the par 5's in 2 most of the time.

Focusing my practice on 120 yards and under and seeing great results. Just need to turn it into results over the year which is easier said than done :cautious:

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My uncle has a similar story about hitting a 400 yard drive. I forget the course and hole, but it went 200 yards uphill, in the height of summer, then rolled all the way back down to his feet. ?

Sounds like the 1st at Pyecombe. Needs climbing gear to get to the green.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a course in West Yorkshire once with a hole like that. You have to hit across a valley but in the height of summer the fairway is baked hard and the ball rolls back down if you don’t quite make the top at the other side. I purposely aimed towards the rough (it wasn’t very long) so that my ball didn’t roll backwards down the hill. Crazy hole. However, it is the only hole on that course that I have any memory of. Course is somewhere near Huddersfield.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Off scratch and hit it around 240-260 winter and 260-280 summer. Obviously downwind, downhill it goes further.

I hit most fairways and my misses are semi rough. Unless you're playing courses over 7,250 yards that's more than enough. Courses around 6000-6500 (the vast majority in the UK) I'll have wedges into half the holes and be on the par 5's in 2 most of the time.

Focusing my practice on 120 yards and under and seeing great results. Just need to turn it into results over the year which is easier said than done :cautious:
I'm beginning to dislike you :p but I use to take great pleasure in whipping big hitting + handicappers, using my handicap and guile :LOL::devilish:

4LEX

Visit site
I'm beginning to dislike you :p but I use to take great pleasure in whipping big hitting + handicappers, using my handicap and guile :LOL::devilish:

I've been outdriven by 14 handicappers before, golf is about control and 'guile' as you say. Great word! You sound like my Dad god bless him, he was a beast from 100 yards in.