How far do you hit driver?

petema99

Visit site
roughly the same distance as my 3 wood sadly. much lower ball flight though, so trying to work on driver technique to get more carry distance

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I get a lot of roll out so no idea what the carry is and the below are total.
Current winter conditions - 180 to 220
Summer Conditions - 190 to 250

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Some beasts on there pal

Yeah I've picked up some speed over the last year or so from using speed sticks & better technique.The teaching pro I use says once he gets my swing where he wants it I should average around 115 to 118mph clubhead speed on Trackman so 170 to 175mph ball speed. I want to get to 180mph with my all out swing but I'm not getting any younger (39 now) so that may be a stretch.

I'm still a ways behind our assistant pro, he pounds it...IMG_20220102_150450.jpg

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, before Covid and when life was less rubbish, I used my watch to measure all my clubs. Recorded them, and constantly updated my average distance for the last 20 shots of that club, in different conditions (P.S. I would never boast about this on my Tinder profile). The results were, for driver:

Main Season (i.e. not freezing cold)

Into strong gale: 197
Into stiff wind: 219
Into light wind: 249
No wind: 250
Light wind behind: 286
Strong wind behind: 283
Gale behind: 297

Winter

Into wind: 212
No wind: 231
Wind behind: 253

Some flip over a little, I guess because wind is subjective and I had very few measurements for gale force winds. I also have a huge problem with hitting my driver so high, that it often lands behind its own pitch mark (even in summer at times), and played most rounds on a course with fairways longer than most other courses first cut. Moving into winter, I typically lost 8% of distance compared to summer, on average.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use a Taylormade mini driver so I'm happy with 220-230 carry and rollout to 240ish. Hitting it straight is more important for me at this stage.

D

Deleted member 21445

Getting Older & Shorter but Straighter :unsure:

My launch Monitor tells me my average carry is about 245y, then obviously course conditions, wind etc dictates the final distance.
Strike position on the clubface has such a big impact on this so its hard to give an accurate decisive answer.
Sometimes my carry is shorter with higher spin and sometimes you get that knuckle ball that carry's further all with the same clubhead speed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last time I did a Trackman measure thing (indoor) was coming up to two years ago, my average driver total distance then was 225 yards I believe. I think if I measured again now I may have added 5 yards or so to that as I hit it better than two years ago. My best of the best drive in perfect conditions I've reached around 245 in the past. In winter lucky to get anything over 200. ?

evemccc

Visit site
How far do I hit, on course swings

View attachment 40817

How far can I hit it, not caring where it goes

View attachment 40818

I'm fortunate that I have pretty much optimal launch conditions with my driver (high launch & low spin)

Do you know the AoA for these, and Launch Angle for your Driver and also your irons in general?

In my last few lessons this is what I’m focused on, almost solely. I’m trying to get my AoA to ‘naturally’ be at +4 with my Driver, and my 8 iron to be -4, with 9 iron to be anything above that

What should a 4 / 5 iron be? I’m guessing -2 or -1 or something down

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you know the AoA for these, and Launch Angle for your Driver and also your irons in general?

In my last few lessons this is what I’m focused on, almost solely. I’m trying to get my AoA to ‘naturally’ be at +4 with my Driver, and my 8 iron to be -4, with 9 iron to be anything above that

What should a 4 / 5 iron be? I’m guessing -2 or -1 or something down

The Trackman numbers are around 4 to 5 degrees up with the driver, the GCQuad numbers are a little higher (up to 7 degrees up).

My irons have been too shallow but this is something I am working on & my 7 iron is roughly 4 to 5 degrees down with a good swing & my 4/5 iron more like 3 to 4 degrees down. 7 iron launch angle is around 17 degrees on a good swing but I have been upwards of 20 degrees as I had a flip in my swing but this is going with the changes I'm currently making.

Those numbers you are focusing on are pretty much bang on with what I would want to see.

evemccc

Visit site
The Trackman numbers are around 4 to 5 degrees up with the driver, the GCQuad numbers are a little higher (up to 7 degrees up).

My irons have been too shallow but this is something I am working on & my 7 iron is roughly 4 to 5 degrees down with a good swing & my 4/5 iron more like 3 to 4 degrees down. 7 iron launch angle is around 17 degrees on a good swing but I have been upwards of 20 degrees as I had a flip in my swing but this is going with the changes I'm currently making.

Those numbers you are focusing on are pretty much bang on with what I would want to see.

You’re obviously a much better player and lower hcap but it’s interesting to compare what we’re working on - currently similar things and that our targets for LA and AoA are the same

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Following on from the slow play thread and some honest distance answers, I thought i'd start this.

Me, usually carry between 200 and 220 depending on strike.

Always shocked how far it doesn’t go when I think I’ve smoked it. 200 plus, but not plus much.