Have you ever got lost

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just remembered another one! First time I played Aldenham, we finished the par 5 9th and looked around for the next tee, turned right and there was one just behind the bushes. Saw 10 on the tee marker so we all teed off. Then I looked at my GPS and it said we were miles away from the correct fairway. It turns out we'd just teed off the 1st of the accompanying nine holer. The tee marker had actually said 1/10 in case you want to go round it twice, haha. We should have turned left after the 9th green, but the sign pointing to next tee had been knocked over face down.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't remember which course it was, but I do recall a time when as visitors we teed off and started walking down the fairway. As we proceeded, it slowly dawned on us that we were no longer following the group ahead, and things looked a bit familiar. Finally the penny dropped that we'd already played this hole earlier in the round. All four of us had teed off without noticing!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Machrahanish Dunes - trying to find your way from one hole to the next tee was interesting at times - I've heard they improved the signage since.

Horton Park in Epsom - walked out of the clubhouse and could not find a single decent hole .... :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Actually I did play the wrong hole at Cruden Bay once. Went out really early and was sorting out the green fee when I got back in. Didn't have a course planner so was playing it blind. Had to walk back and play the real hole once I knew what I had done.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember at one of the La Cala courses in driving rain I spotted a hint of red flag in the distance....lasered it at about 150 and then nutted my approach straight at it.

I got to within 80 yards of the "flag" and realised that I'd actually played to a lateral water hazard marker post and the actual green was 130 yards to my left over a ravine which we had already played over from off the tee. Not only had I played to the red post but I'd hit a belter of a shot to within 3ft!!!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not that I can remember personally but it used to happen a lot at Whipsnade
The 2nd green is between the 3rd and 16th tees, the 3rd being behind some trees.
There is a sign but its in such a daft place and so small its very easy to miss.
The other spot is from the 4th to the 5th.
A very general sign that kind of points the way but you have to go around the 15th tee to get to it....'nuff said.

Yep hit a really good tee shot at 15 there one day only to realise I wasnt on the right hole ?????

Obviously hit it in the trees when we came to the hole for proper ?????

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No, never. How do you get lost on a course!? I think the closest to 'lost' is playing on some courses where the next tee isn't exactly clear, however those cases last normally no longer than 30 seconds to a minute.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Done it once. When I first played here we took a wrong turn
Screenshot 2021-05-27 163627.png

After leaving the 11th green the tees for 12th & 16th are in the same section of grass but the holes head of in completely opposite directions. Only realised when we hit 17th tee and had to double-back to 12th

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yes. Can't remember which course it was though. I think either Baildon or Halifax Ogden.

We somehow looped back on ourselves and managed to play a hole for the second time without realising. Then on the next we said that this looks familiar and realised we'd already played that hole and the previous.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have seen many a group go from the 4th green to the 12th tee where I play, they are adjacent. We do have a map on the card and there is a direction post. The other thing I have seen is players playing the 11th and teeing off on the 5th for the same reason.

Funniest I have heard about

West Hill and Worplesdon are next to each other. When playing Worplesdon part way round you have to cross the Guildford Rd and go in a gate. West Hill also has a gate next to it. One society started on Worplesdon and finished on West Hill.

Personally playing the Old Bridport layout for the first time beautiful shot in to a green only to find 5 balls on it when I got there with a 4 ball approaching the green from another direction.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it was at Gog Magog where I started on one course and then found myself playing a hole on the other one!

Also somewhere in the Lakes on holiday - can't recall the course. Suddenly there was a 4 ball in front of us that hadn't been in sight. We were fizzing about the cheeky blighters nipping in front of us and then realised we were on the wrong hole!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Done it once. When I first played here we took a wrong turn
View attachment 36806

After leaving the 11th green the tees for 12th & 16th are in the same section of grass but the holes head of in completely opposite directions. Only realised when we hit 17th tee and had to double-back to 12th

?il aux cerf

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Royal North Devon for me. Somewhere around the turn I played to the wrong green. It was only when I got there I thought it looked familiar as I had played it 30 minutes before. Sheepishly went back the way I came and still struggled to find the correct green to play to as the reeds obscured the sight line.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
No, never. How do you get lost on a course!? I think the closest to 'lost' is playing on some courses where the next tee isn't exactly clear, however those cases last normally no longer than 30 seconds to a minute.

A few years ago I came across 4 ladies on our course, stood on the 7th tee looking a bit puzzled. Being a helpful sort of bloke and not recognising any of them I ambled over from the 9th fairway and asked if I could assist. They explained they were new members and believed that they had got lost as, on reaching the 7th tee they realised that they had already played the hole. I talked them through the holes that they'd played and determined that, on finishing the 11th, they'd teed off on the 6th as their next hole. It was only as they were recounting this that one of them said...."I thought the hole we'd just played looked familiar!!!"

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Thought of another recently at Dundonald Links as well. Finished the 15th (I think) and was trying to get to the 16th tee, this wasn't lost as such as I knew where I wanted to go but we were in buggies and everytime we tried to go down the most obvious route it powered off and told me to reverse. Eventually found the correct path off the back of the green which wasn't immediately obvious (certainly not as obvious as the path we were trying to take) especially as the flag had been at the front of the green.