Golfer's Car?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I work from home now and so sold my car last year. No point spending £300 a month on something to sit on the drive all week and only use it for golf at weekends! So I bought a 2009 Mercedes A class for £800, it’s a total banger, but I love it it. I fill it up every few months, seats permanently down so its flat like a van, clubs slide in, don’t care if I scratch the paintwork or get the interior muddy, I can sit on the edge and put my shoes on, and the boot lid creates a shelter from the rain! It’s perfect.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Still needs -off-a-shovel, needs to be reasonably economical

With fuel costs what they are, these two no longer go together. Plus, the faster it goes, the higher the insurance.

Smiffy will advocate Peugeot 3008 GT Line.
For £20K you will be looking at 4/5 years old and <40K miles.

Thought I'd come back to this thread, I'm not keen on the "SUV" that isn't actually an SUV look, but you seem to be the only one who went down the French car route.

However, (and it may be some time before I pull the trigger) a petrol 308 GT-Line hatchback seems to come closest to ticking the boxes, not really s-o-a-s, but it'll have to do, massive boot for class, not Octavia size, but way bigger than Golf/Focus, loads of gadgets, and very importantly (tho I didn't mention it), has a pano-roof, tho standard sunroof would have done.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Thought I'd come back to this thread, I'm not keen on the "SUV" that isn't actually an SUV look, but you seem to be the only one who went down the French car route.

However, (and it may be some time before I pull the trigger) a petrol 308 GT-Line hatchback seems to come closest to ticking the boxes, not really s-o-a-s, but it'll have to do, massive boot for class, not Octavia size, but way bigger than Golf/Focus, loads of gadgets, and very importantly (tho I didn't mention it), has a pano-roof, tho standard sunroof would have done.
Not my idea, though I agree with you.
You should thank @Smiffy for the idea.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I work from home now and so sold my car last year. No point spending £300 a month on something to sit on the drive all week and only use it for golf at weekends! So I bought a 2009 Mercedes A class for £800, it’s a total banger, but I love it it. I fill it up every few months, seats permanently down so its flat like a van, clubs slide in, don’t care if I scratch the paintwork or get the interior muddy, I can sit on the edge and put my shoes on, and the boot lid creates a shelter from the rain! It’s perfect.
My Polo is also a banger and it may be the least grand car in the car park, but I drive to the golf club to play golf. It does its job perfectly and is also a pretty good mobile locker.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Drove a XC40 T5 recharge today, what a fun car! It’s big enough for a stand bag, would need to drop the 40% split seat if you was putting an electric trolley in and I was very surprised that on a 35m test drive it still had 8m of electric left despite it only apparently doing 25-27 on a charge.

The test drive including motorways at 75mph, although I do confess there was a could of bypasses where I thought it only right to test the 265bhp petrol only mode.

A lot of fun to drive and felt every part as solid as well made as the 2020 330e I had as a previous company car.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Personally if I was changing with that sort of budget and wanting to ditch the diesel and still get the economy I would be thinking self charging hybrid.

having nearly gone down that route myself recently I was looking at a Toyota Corolla Sport
Funny this cropping up again, Corolla GR is indeed now on my list, one's with a sunroof are hen's teeth tho ~ and yes, still haven't switched from the VRS :LOL:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny this cropping up again, Corolla GR is indeed now on my list, one's with a sunroof are hen's teeth tho ~ and yes, still haven't switched from the VRS :LOL:
In the end I went full electric ( Peugeot 2008) as the dealer had such a good offer preregistered ones.
He drove the demo round to my house so I could load it up with my buggy and checked it fitted.

JayB

Visit site
Anyone have the latest version on the BMW 1 Series?

I'm seriously considering buying one, but just wondering how practical the boot space is? Will it take a golf bag and M1 electric trolley?

Springveldt

Visit site

I'm seriously considering buying one, but just wondering how practical the boot space is? Will it take a golf bag and M1 electric trolley?
I've got a 3 series (GT) and I can lay a golf bag across it with driver still in due to the big indent above the battery. If the 1 series has the same space it might be ok.

My trolley is the M3 compact though, it folds down pretty small, so I can still have the parcel shelves on.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Go to a showroom and ask if you can try, I've done this for several cars.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

My office manager does, bare with me I will ask the question :ROFLMAO:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would, but the state my kit came off the course today, I'm not sure if they'll be too happy for me to try.
Get on a bimmerpost forum and ask there - you’ll get an answer much quicker than on here.

Generally, my experience is that beemers are pretty good for golf clubs. I’ve had a 1 series convertible and a 3 series (F30), got golf clubs and an M1 push trolley in no problem. Would have struggled with an electric trolley, but these were both low slung sports coupe / saloons, the new 1 series is a front wheel drive hatchback, would be surprised if you couldn’t make it work.