Golfer's Car?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
There is definitely a misconception that they have a bigger footprint. I had one of the early Skoda Yeti's and people were asking me how I would cope parking it. When I pointed out it was basically the footprint of a Golf they couldn't get their head around it. It was higher, that's all.

Where the defence is more shaky, that style of car, particularly the bigger ones, are extremely poor in pedestrian collisions, particularly with children. Pedestrians rarely come out well in a collision with a car anyway but the taller height and slab like front means the impact area hits people at a more dangerous height.
What you say is perfectly true, but it is the driver that is the most dangerous part of the killing machine rather than the size and shape of the machine itself.
Just like knives.

With knives it is intent that is dangerous. With motor vehicles it is incompetence, overconfidence, ignorance, neglect, irresponsibility, inattentiveness and selfishness that are dangerous.
(Insurance companies recognise youth as dangerous)

Be careful out there.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s funny the hate SUVs get yet estates don’t. My 5 series or a Skoda Supurb is as near as makes no difference the same footprint as an XC90 and some Range Rovers, but they don’t get the same hate. Well the Skodas don’t anyway.

Maybe there are other reasons than size?
I have two reasons for disliking SUVs:

The first, and most important to me, is specificially related to being a golfer. SUVs don't have any boot space behind the rear wheels, so you can't drop a full bag in sideways.
Putting a bag in lengthways is just nowhere near as convenient. My little Skoda Fabia estate - built on a VW Polo floorpan - allows me to do this. (OK, I suppose some enormous SUVs might do the job, but I don't want a giant car).

The second is that I just don't like the high up driving position. I appreciate this is probably due to my long history of having sports cars.

RichA

Visit site
There is definitely a misconception that they have a bigger footprint. I had one of the early Skoda Yeti's and people were asking me how I would cope parking it. When I pointed out it was basically the footprint of a Golf they couldn't get their head around it. It was higher, that's all.

Where the defence is more shaky, that style of car, particularly the bigger ones, are extremely poor in pedestrian collisions, particularly with children. Pedestrians rarely come out well in a collision with a car anyway but the taller height and slab like front means the impact area hits people at a more dangerous height.
Yep. The person who drove into my stationary Jeep Cherokee a few years ago moaned that big 4-wheel drives should be banned. It was shorter and narrower than their Toyota MPV. It's just a perception thing.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s funny the hate SUVs get yet estates don’t. My 5 series or a Skoda Supurb is as near as makes no difference the same footprint as an XC90 and some Range Rovers, but they don’t get the same hate. Well the Skodas don’t anyway.

Maybe there are other reasons than size?

I would much rather have had a 5 series than the xc90, the problem with the 5 series is that because it’s lower, the rear wheel arches eat into the rear bench and it’s much harder to get three car seats across it. The xc90 sits higher and therefore doesn’t have that problem.

I reckon my next car, when the kids are older, will be something 5 series / A6 sized. But I’ll keep the xc90 as long as possible, I miss the driving dynamics of my bmw, but the xc90 is a brilliant family car from a practicality and comfort perspective.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would much rather have had a 5 series than the xc90, the problem with the 5 series is that because it’s lower, the rear wheel arches eat into the rear bench and it’s much harder to get three car seats across it. The xc90 sits higher and therefore doesn’t have that problem.

I reckon my next car, when the kids are older, will be something 5 series / A6 sized. But I’ll keep the xc90 as long as possible, I miss the driving dynamics of my bmw, but the xc90 is a brilliant family car from a practicality and comfort perspective.
As I'm getting older in the tooth, and the ravages of work take it's toll on my body, I am replaceing my Mazda 3 with a Mazda CX5, only for the reason my knees don't like having the get down into and get up out of the 3 anymore. Footprint wise, they are almost the same.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
So currently driving an Octavia VRS, which I've had for more than 7 years now, but it's getting to time for a change.

Last time around it came from nowhere to be the "perfect golfers car" - diesel for economy, VRS model for -off-a-shovel, mahoosive boot (did a lot of lugging over and above golf), and taxi-driver reliability.

But I no longer need the big lugger, I rarely have a passenger or second set of clubs, and I'm struggling with a switch.

Still needs -off-a-shovel, needs to be reasonably economical but diesel is gone, obviously has to take a trolley and bag in boot.

What's my next move? *(not buying new, but as new as possible with a 20k budget)
I got A Tiguan type R a few months back. Certainly launches well off its shovel and holds plenty of golf gear.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Has anyone got a Corolla Hatchback (around 20/21 plate) and can advise on boot space for golf clubs?!
Erm yes lol

The 2.0ltr (which I have) is tiny, you will get your clubs in the boot even with the driver in though have to be very careful not to rub the trim with the base of your bag. Not much room for anything else, my trolly has top go in the back seat.

The 1.8ltr has more boot space (hybrid battery is under the bonnest, for the 2.0 it takes up boot space) so you may get a trolly in there too. If you can live with carting just one set of clubs and have the trolly not in the boot, go for it, car is brilliant

4LEX

Visit site
Looking at getting an Audi TTRS and just seeing if anyone has got experience of whether a small carry bag or pencil bag will fit in the foot of the new TT models?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have two reasons for disliking SUVs:

The first, and most important to me, is specificially related to being a golfer. SUVs don't have any boot space behind the rear wheels, so you can't drop a full bag in sideways.
Putting a bag in lengthways is just nowhere near as convenient. My little Skoda Fabia estate - built on a VW Polo floorpan - allows me to do this. (OK, I suppose some enormous SUVs might do the job, but I don't want a giant car).

The second is that I just don't like the high up driving position. I appreciate this is probably due to my long history of having sports cars.
I drive a Cupra Formentor......so a compact SUV, but I can get my clubs in the boot without having to remove the driver from the bag or folding down the rear seats. I get my Powakaddy electric trolley in there too (admittedly have to take the wheels off to do so . :)

Mandofred

Visit site
It's an American phrase really, all marketing talk. In theory, an off road car that was also comfy on tarmac. In reality, a high riding car that spends its time on tarmac alone for 99% of people.
Oh come on now ;) ......back when I was a wee lad, vehicles in the US that looked like todays SUV's REALLY WERE sport utility vehicles. Ford Bronco was very popular (when it was running), Jeeps of various styles......since then SUV's have turned into just a bigger comfy car that is rarely used to destroy things go offroad. I grew up in a small lumber town, pickups were the main all-use vehicle for most people.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh come on now ;) ......back when I was a wee lad, vehicles in the US that looked like todays SUV's REALLY WERE sport utility vehicles. Ford Bronco was very popular (when it was running), Jeeps of various styles......since then SUV's have turned into just a bigger comfy car that is rarely used to destroy things go offroad. I grew up in a small lumber town, pickups were the main all-use vehicle for most people.
We never really had that era here. We had off roaders, proper 4wd cars, and then we had mainstream cars, hatchbacks and saloons. The SUV over here is a relatively recent thing.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get the vibe that people think a big, pseudo-suv will "protect my children". But don't these monstrosities have the same physical design with the same crumple zones as normal, sensible cars?
People do have that "protect my children" mindset, but when you see those same parents parking on the yellow zig-zags at a school, or reversing into a standing child, you have to wonder at them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get the vibe that people think a big, pseudo-suv will "protect my children". But don't these monstrosities have the same physical design with the same crumple zones as normal, sensible cars?
Yes, but I guess the thought process is that they are higher and so any impact will be lower on their car, passengers will be above it. I'm not saying I agree but I think your suggestion is correct.

What I would say in their favour, I had an XC60 a good few years ago. As they are taller they tend to have airier cabins which is nice. They are also easier to get in and out of when your knees, back etc are not great.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I drive a Cupra Formentor......so a compact SUV, but I can get my clubs in the boot without having to remove the driver from the bag or folding down the rear seats. I get my Powakaddy electric trolley in there too (admittedly have to take the wheels off to do so . :)
How do the clubs fit in? Looking at pictures of the Formentor's boot, it looks to me that they would have to go in diagonally.
Interestingly, when we were looking for my wife's new car, we checked out the Seat Leon estate expecting it to be an obvious contender, but even that couldn't fit a bag of clubs sideways.
For me that is not the case. I find my low slung Mazda mx5 easier to get in and out off than having to physically climb up an actual staircase on the rare occasions I've been in one of these things.
I can relate to that. When looking for my wife's new car, another option was the Qashqai, because she has dodgy knees and fancied the idea of a higher car being easier to get into.
Turned out she couldn't climb up into it without a lot of effort!

PaulMdj

Visit site
Recently got a Skoda Kodiaq, 7 seater, but will only ever use it in 5 seat configuration so boot is huge. Plenty of space for trolley plus bag.