Small/Medium SUV/Crossover

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best small SUV in terms of storage hands down is a honda hrv

The boot is stupidly big, the magic seats in the back (where the seat folds up as well as down is great for say putting the dog in the footwell, we used to have eldest in her car seat, then dog in the other footwell)

I'd still have it now if we didn't have the twins but it was such a good car the mother in law now owns it

Wife got an HRV, great car although the engine is little undercooked, I believe the 1.5T is better.

sunshine

Visit site
I understand why someone would buy a large SUV, but what's the point of a small SUV?

Not trying to take the p or derail the thread. Just a genuine question as I don't understand the benefits over a hatchback like a Golf for example.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
We've got a Duster. Love it. Cheap as chips, runs like a dream. Can't fault it at all.

That said I had a Qashqai for a month a few years ago and bloody hell it was lovely. Was a top spec, all bells and whistles rental though. That might have had something to do with it!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I understand why someone would buy a large SUV, but what's the point of a small SUV?

Not trying to take the p or derail the thread. Just a genuine question as I don't understand the benefits over a hatchback like a Golf for example.
Higher driving postion and passenger seating, try it, it really is quite nice. That extra height can also give you more internal space in the same footprint. For example, rear passenger seats sit higher so your legs bend at the knee at right angles rather than forward at 45°. Your legs are therefore not up against the seats in front. Extra headroom gives a bigger sense of airiness.

You pay a slight price in terms of economy but the space at times is worth it, particularly if you have kids in the car. (I have had a Yeti and an XC60 as well as regular cars. I see the advantages in both)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm not an "SUV" or "Crossover" driver myself, but my missus loves them. It's all down to personal choice, but it seems to be a style my daughter is looking at, though as a rule she is quite pragmatic about these things so I could potentially steer her to other cars, but this is her preferred choice.
I'm in agreement on the Škoda's. My last three company cars have been Škoda Superbs and I think they make great cars.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you need to refine needs a bit more. Such as how many miles per year, size of boot/ accomodation, manual or auto etc.

As mentioned, you can't go wrong with many of the skoda's - and good diesel or petrol. Smiffy's option on the 2008 also looks decent

I would not worry about diesel being out of favour - generally the diesel options are the ones to go for in the slightly larger Mazda CX5/ BMW x3 size etc - but you need to make sure you do a good 30 mile motorway type journey at least once per month(8k+ per year) or the DPF will die. But some good petrol options in many - especially the 1.4/5 VW/Seat/Skoda - and the 130 2008

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you need to refine needs a bit more. Such as how many miles per year, size of boot/ accomodation, manual or auto etc.

As mentioned, you can't go wrong with many of the skoda's - and good diesel or petrol. Smiffy's option on the 2008 also looks decent

I would not worry about diesel being out of favour - generally the diesel options are the ones to go for in the slightly larger Mazda CX5/ BMW x3 size etc - but you need to make sure you do a good 30 mile motorway type journey at least once per month(8k+ per year) or the DPF will die. But some good petrol options in many - especially the 1.4/5 VW/Seat/Skoda - and the 130 2008

Stay away from Mazda diesels, there is an inherent fault that created carbon build-up in the intake manifold, which in turn takes the turbo out. Circa £500 to de-coke and £1500 for a new turbo........otherwise its a lovely motor :rolleyes:

sunshine

Visit site
Higher driving postion and passenger seating, try it, it really is quite nice. That extra height can also give you more internal space in the same footprint. For example, rear passenger seats sit higher so your legs bend at the knee at right angles rather than forward at 45°. Your legs are therefore not up against the seats in front. Extra headroom gives a bigger sense of airiness.

You pay a slight price in terms of economy but the space at times is worth it, particularly if you have kids in the car. (I have had a Yeti and an XC60 as well as regular cars. I see the advantages in both)

Thanks that's helpful. My wife wants an SUV, but the only reason seems to be the convoy of Range Rovers on the school run.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stay away from Mazda diesels, there is an inherent fault that created carbon build-up in the intake manifold, which in turn takes the turbo out. Circa £500 to de-coke and £1500 for a new turbo........otherwise its a lovely motor :rolleyes:

Mr Mrs has one. Great car and thankfully no issues on past 2 years

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks that's helpful. My wife wants an SUV, but the only reason seems to be the convoy of Range Rovers on the school run.
Tell her she has to come up with a better reason :LOL:. I loved my Yeti as it gave the benefits but had the parking footprint of a Golf. Those big Range Rovers and the like frighten the life out of me. I dread to think what they are like to park in a multi storey :eek:. I think this is where the mid sized ones are so good as they are taller but on a similar footprint to a small / medium sized car.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wife has a 2 litre Mazda CX -3. It looks lovely both inside and out. Looks don’t convert to practicality though. Nightmare with children’s seat in the back when buckling up. The sat nav is poor. Sound system poor, The power of the engine poor. A tiny fuel tank. Boot space is small. She loves it. Me I would avoid it.

I take it you cant get a set of clubs in the boot then ;)