Used car recommendation (SUV)

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Looking to spend around £15k on a used SUV to replace my 2006 BMW 320CD M Sport. Currently my head and heart are in different places and looking for some views generally to compare how much the ongoing cost of the different options might be. I do about 6000-8000 miles per year, mainly in the city, but a few longer trips and no offroading so you'll see I don't really need one, I just really want a mid-size, good-looking, semi-powerful SUV that won't cost the world to run. Though put it this way, my daughter is 3 months old and would prefer to be putting money away for holidays than blowing it maintaining a money pit car so a bit of balnce is needed here.

Options are as follows in descending order starting with most desirable and least sensible and working down to least desirable most sensible. these things go hand in hand with me:

Desirable
Mercedes M Class from circa 2014
This is the dream. Complete overkill for my requirements, but I just love the look. Would get one in a heartbeat, but not if I can't afford to keep the thing on the road. Anyone owned one or know about running costs (more servicing than fuel economy given i don't do too many miles?) This is a big car so I imagine it has the associated maintenance costs. Hopefully i'm wrong.

BMW X3 from circa 2014
Probably a bit more sensible family car than the merc. Imagine its also cheaper to run given how much more common they are. Don't like them as much as the merc but would still get that top brand satisfaction with another bimmer. however i would also rule this out if servicing cost were likely to be very high.

Jeep Cherokee circa 2016
This is the leftfield choice but a very strong contender given used prices would allow me to get a 2016 high spec model within budget. Probs at least £5k cheaper than an X3 or M-class of equivalent age. Aware that Jeep's are a bit marmite tho love the look of these things (esp with the black rims) and the level of kit you get is top notch for the money. Would expect servicing/parts to be slightly cheaper than the X3 too???

Sensible
Mitsubishi Outlander
Was very interested in the plug in hybrid version but have since concluded that the savings to be had driving electrically in the city might be outweighed by the longer diesel biaised trips. Diesel only version is an option, however i do find the interior uninspiring on these cars when compared with the above.

Honda CRV/Toyota RAV4
I do like these cars and would probably be happy with one, especially if maintenance were significantly cheaper than the above, however they just don't excite me. However, I did see very fetching limited edition CRV with a sportier look and the black rims going for buttons, but it had already sold by the time i went for a look. Somthing like lthis would be a contender were it to appear again.

Hyundai Tucson
Quite like the car and the cost, but not gonna excite me

Sportage/Qashqai
Can see why they're popular but not for me. Would also generally steer clear of french cars aside from the Peugeot 3008 if it fell within budget.

Anyone own these cars or got any comments to share?

Many thanks

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I got strong armed into the VW Tiguan when we had to get a family car 18 months ago. The wife does the day to day driving as im a train commuter so it was her choice from the few we tried.

Within a week I was seriously impressed.

The Mk 2 has quite a sporty look for an SUV, we've a decent but not great spec, black rims etc. Ours was out of above budget but nearly new - I'd think you would get an early mk2 (2016 from memory) in budget now.

Worth a look.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
The Tiguan styling doesn’t appeal to me but strangely know I’d like it if I had one. Would need to be strong armed and I call the shots when it comes to cars.

Xc60 look to have exciting engines and defs got the luxury. Unsure on styling. Same with cx5. Heard it’s amongst the best fun to drive though not convinced on the looks

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
The Tiguan styling doesn’t appeal to me but strangely know I’d like it if I had one. Would need to be strong armed and I call the shots when it comes to cars.

Xc60 look to have exciting engines and defs got the luxury. Unsure on styling. Same with cx5. Heard it’s amongst the best fun to drive though not convinced on the looks

I was the same on the VW styling, I had the MK1 in my mind and wasn't really aware of mk2. Huge difference for me, went from an absolute no to a yes.

Then again Im someone who finds the beemer styling, especially the interiors very boring and drab so appreciate beauty is the eye and all that!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a Mercedes ML 350 for 3 years, great machines, not that cheap to run but you feel safe in them, which is important if you have kids.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Mate has had his Merc for a while. Loves it enough to order another one.

Neighbours have a Tuscon, which we've been in a good number of times. It almost hits my like button but there's just something about it that I don't like.

I okayed a staff member getting the Mitsi as a company car. He loves it big time. And its huge inside.

Hired a Cherokee. Yuk! It was a dog.

Don't get a Qashqui. They're a lot smaller than they look.

Puegeot 3008. Nearly got one a couple of months back. Well impressed but decided to try and get another year out of our car - its only 18 months old. The 5008 is worth a look too.

Don't know anything about the X3. Had a 420 coupe and hated it. They're far too basic and agricultural. Too much plastic.

Looked at the Rav4 when we got the current car. I'd have gone for it but HID said no.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not into cars really, just want them to do what they say on the tin and not have any hassle.

I've had 2 CRV's now and will get another one in a year or so or maybe get the HRV as we don't necessarily need the massive boot now kids are a bit older. Never had an issue with either and get a lot of kit for your cash compared to other brands. Don't think they look as nice as some others but I'm not that bothered as I sit inside looking out!!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wife's got one, same chassis as the Jazz I believe.
Would be interested to see how the 1.5 Turbo petrol goes as hers is pretty gutless.

Goes pretty well tbh

It's very smooth, I got the crv gear box I love it

It feels a lot bigger than a jazz tbh, so much room for the family

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have an XC60. Big, safe, reliable, comfortable, well equipped.

And about as exciting as washing the dishes......

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have an XC60. Big, safe, reliable, comfortable, well equipped.

And about as exciting as washing the dishes......
I had one for 3 years. I agree with everything you wrote. It was a great family car, brilliant mile muncher but you never sat in and felt a buzz. To be fair, the new version has upped the stakes from the one I had, sadly increasing the price tag by a significant degree as well. The OP has an amount that would get one of the worthy but dull versions, could do worse though.