Any Tesla 3 Owners around here?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the leaf have the market well cornered about

2 year lease 260pm 10,000 miles a year £260 down up front

That's a bargain
10,000 miles per year is fine for until June but what do I do for the rest of the year :D? Joking apart, the Leaf does a great job but it has range limitations. The only full electric car that you could argue does not is the Tesla. All others are for local journeys only. For people who do larger mileages the alternatives are not here yet.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
''The Nissan Leaf, introduced in Japan and the United States in December 2010, became the first modern all-electric, zero tailpipe emission five door family hatchback to be produced for the mass market from a major manufacturer. ''

So basically, the EV is less than 10 years old.
For those who just do the school run or pop to the shops, they are perfect, go and buy one.

For those who do more miles or tow caravans, patience :)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
off to the Tesla showroom to check out the 3.

BTW, am tempted to have a look into the Kia e-Niro... anyone looked at it yet?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
off to the Tesla showroom to check out the 3.

BTW, am tempted to have a look into the Kia e-Niro... anyone looked at it yet?
I looked at it when I was looking around for my current car, but the boot was too small for clubs in the bag, let alone adding a trolley as well.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I have the Model X as a company car, been paying the 16% BIK rate however this is soon down to 0% which will be lovely! Obviously not an incentive for private purchase but as a company car its a great one.

I'm not sure on the range differences between the Model 3 and X but it doesn't sound like a limiting factor for you anyway.

I wouldn't call myself an Elon fan boy etc. I had no interest in an electric car, I've always been a fan of big v8 diesels for commuting but I can hand on heart say other than a nice burble and tone I miss nothing about them. I'm a petrol head so never thought i'd say this but I do love the Tesla, for the purposes I need I can't see myself owning anything else.

- It's practical, reputable, not too flash will be very cheap to run in the new tax year etc. everyone that goes in it seems to really enjoy it. Autopilot that is included is great and has never personally been a hinderance which other car systems have been. I don't have full self driving capability add on though and it's of no interest to me personally. Options can add up, I had the 22 inch wheels, different paintwork and interior and I think this racked up about £8k. I didn't even realise this at the time my boss just showed me pictures I picked what I like otherwise I'd of stuck standard. So i'd just be careful that standard wheels and the white paint your happy with or your due a price hike. I went for the grey.

I've had mine since december so it's still reasonably new to me, no issues at all as of yet though after 4,000 miles of driving. I do a lot of long trips and the major road networks offer more than enough superchargers to make this a hassle free experience. I drive 400+ mile round trip journeys every week and have no issues whatsoever. I factor in some rest stops at supercharger locations and after 20-30 mins of stretching my legs, making calls and drinking coffee i'm back on the road.

I've admittedly almost got through a set of tyres already which will require replacement within the few weeks. This I blame on friends, family and colleagues wanting to be taken out in it and then putting it in ludicrous mode. This is just novelty factor with ludicrous mode shouldn't be an ongoing theme.

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Each to there own but the leaf imo is a nice looking car
newer one is less offensive yes, and the prices with kit are very tempting .. but currently the run around is a 1 litre fiesta pumping out 125bhp and less than 99g/km making it low tax £0 and low insurance .. although more powerful than my 205GTi of 20 years ago and as hilarious .. strange old world

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
BMW made good impact early on with electrics with i3, but don't seem to have really pushed on apart from i8 which is a lovely car but expensive, impractical and never going to sell to the masses . My needs are fairly standard, family sized saloon, good performance, good economy, decent range, 4 wheel drive for the winters in Scotland is a bonus so the 335D is a perfect all rounder. The 330e is available but will cost thousands more than a Tesla 3 in tax. The Golf is about to be replaced with version 8 and only hybrids no full electric option.

I believe fast Supercharging will damage battery life slightly long term. Most people will be charging to 80% or so at home and that should cover their next days driving and only Supercharging on the odd occasion, if you're doing 100's of miles daily I don't think EV's are there yet. Even with regular Supercharging people are only finding a small % reduction in range after many miles of driving. I have read Tesla has auto brake wiping to keep the brakes clean and dry but not sure if it's on the Model 3 as well or just high end models.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've admittedly almost got through a set of tyres already which will require replacement within the few weeks. This I blame on friends, family and colleagues wanting to be taken out in it and then putting it in ludicrous mode. This is just novelty factor with ludicrous mode shouldn't be an ongoing theme.

Wow that's quite scary in 4K, a new set of 22" tyres will not be cheap, but 0-60 in 3 seconds is bound to put a lot of stress on them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow that's quite scary in 4K, a new set of 22" tyres will not be cheap, but 0-60 in 3 seconds is bound to put a lot of stress on them.

I know this is the wrong thread it's more for the getting people away from cars thread but this mental ls what holds us back from cutting down our use of fossil fuels

We focus on 0-60 rather than mpg

Cars are seen as toys more than mode of transportation

Leaf is what 0-60 in 7.4, when do you need more than that? It's 30-50 is 3 seconds that's what's more useful

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I know this is the wrong thread it's more for the getting people away from cars thread but this mental ls what holds us back from cutting down our use of fossil fuels

Leaf is what 0-60 in 7.4, when do you need more than that? It's 30-50 is 3 seconds that's what's more useful

To be fair more manufacturers are highlighting the efficiency nowadays. Yes at the sports car end of the market 0 to 60 will always be a factor as that is what a lot of people who spunk over 100K on a sports car care about. But I expect the vast majority of people buying a 'normal' car now are taking the MPG into account. Some for environmental reasons, some for cold hard cash reasons. I think it is a trade off between performance, efficiency and lets face it, image for some, at a budget you can afford

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I imagine you do that sort of acceleration too much and you'll be having to find a charging point pretty damned quick:)

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site

I think with todays technology why settle for one or the other when you can have a combination of both if you desire.

Some people just want a car for A to B purposes and usually MPG is the biggest priority, everything else is utterly pointless to them.

I had a period between cars where I used an Astra Estate to ferry the dogs about in, it was probably the best thing I'd owned for MPG purposes but Christ it was the most uncomfortable and boring thing I've ever driven. I couldn't wait to hand the keys back to my old man.

I replaced that with a 335d estate beemer that was great for functionaility of carting the dogs out for walks, was decent on MPG and has plenty of performance with a remap. It's a great car still for these purposes and wont get rid of it anytime soon as a result of this, infact it will probably get run into the ground.

I think those who do like their performance can never just settle for MPG as an over-riding factor and disregard any level of performance. I know I can't personally. I'd honestly class driving as a hobby to a degree. I love driving it's not just a means of transport for me.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I replaced that with a 335d estate beemer that was great for functionaility of carting the dogs out for walks, was decent on MPG and has plenty of performance with a remap. It's a great car still for these purposes and wont get rid of it anytime soon as a result of this, infact it will probably get run into the ground.

It sounds like this might appeal?

UntitledDDG.jpg

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
It sounds like this might appeal?

That would tick all the boxes haha, would become a battle for the charging point though!

Does make me wonder how much a pain it would become if a household were all running EV's. It's fine for me as I'm not battling for the charging point. But say a family of 4 in the future there could be 4-6 cars seeing regular use in some cases how would you even manage the charging situation?