The demise of metal spikes

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Would happily admit to never having metal spikes since Adidas Torsion in the esrly 90's so have absolutely no insight into how effective they are. Also in winter I'm not really fussed if the greens have spike marks, they're never in a condition where spike marks make them significantly worse, and I'm never in the position where I care about my score until April. And again, without forensic investigation into the performance of the spikes you mention, I dont know the damage they do...

I would be dissapointed though if there was a resurgence of metal spikes. For me, that would negatively effect my enjoyment of the game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would be dissapointed though if there was a resurgence of metal spikes. For me, that would negatively effect my enjoyment of the game.

I don't get that. How can a resurgence in spikes negatively make a difference to your enjoyment. We can even tap spike marks down now so even if an increase in spike use added some damage (I've seem people drag their feet in softspikes and leave nasty marks so don't think you can blame spikes or the hybrid spike version for all the green damage). What difference would it make?

sunshine

Visit site
I think you'll find that there are indeed a fair few Pro's who use metal spikes as evidenced by the cluncking noise they make whenever they walk on a cart path. You won't normally hear them because they are generally wlking on grass, and you don't normally see them because sports broadcasters rarely show the soles of anyones feet.
As for why some Pro's use metal spikes while some uses soft spikes or even go spikeless, who knows. Probaly for the same reason people on here are using them, because we can.

Actually, they show the soles all the time. The most common angle on tv is down the line and you always see the trailing foot after impact. Loads now wear spikeless, footjoy and adidas seem very popular, players contracted to other brands still seem to be mainly wearing soft spikes, and a few still have metal spikes. But pro golf follows the sun. Tour events are almost exclusively played in summer conditions. Even when it rains. So little in common with muddy winter golf in the UK.

Judging by the comments on here, some people would be better off wearing football boots or going to see their doctor about their vertigo if they are unable to maintain balance.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Actually, they show the soles all the time. The most common angle on tv is down the line and you always see the trailing foot after impact. Loads now wear spikeless, footjoy and adidas seem very popular, players contracted to other brands still seem to be mainly wearing soft spikes, and a few still have metal spikes. But pro golf follows the sun. Tour events are almost exclusively played in summer conditions. Even when it rains. So little in common with muddy winter golf in the UK.

Judging by the comments on here, some people would be better off wearing football boots or going to see their doctor about their vertigo if they are unable to maintain balance.
That's a very patronising comment. :rolleyes: Just because you don't agree with our viewpoint doesn't mean you need to make comments like that. If you have read this thread properly (which that comment would indicate you haven't) you will see why there are very specific reasons why I, and others, choose to use hybrid spikes in the winter. In the other months we do tend to wear spikeless or softspikes.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
For me the damage done by spikes is like unrepaired pitch marks.

Fine I can repair them, but theres no need for the damage to be there in the first place.

There not banned at 90% of clubs for fun. They're banned because they do damage to greens compared to an alternative that doesnt... *Adidas Adicross banned by many clubs for same reason...

Edit: Like I say in winter only I'm not that bothered the greens are managed to cope with additional stress, but a resurgence into summer golf would be a bad thing...

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
The course be immaculate, they still play in/after pissing rain where the ground inevitably gets very soft. That's when metal spikes come in to their own if you swing with decent speed.

I swing with a very decent swing speed. I've never fallen over when I'm swinging even wearing spikeless in a monsoon. If you are getting loose I'd have a lesson.

Can see their merits when walking down some crazy slopes tho.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
For me the damage done by spikes is like unrepaired pitch marks.

Fine I can repair them, but theres no need for the damage to be there in the first place.

There not banned at 90% of clubs for fun. They're banned because they do damage to greens compared to an alternative that doesnt... *Adidas Adicross banned by many clubs for same reason...

Edit: Like I say in winter only I'm not that bothered the greens are managed to cope with additional stress, but a resurgence into summer golf would be a bad thing...
To be honest I see more damage to the green with unrepaired pitchmarks than I've ever seen from spikes, metal or otherwise. If people walk properly, metal spikes won't do any more damage than softspikes. If people drag their feet then I've seen some pretty substantial damages from both metal and soft spikes on a green.

sunshine

Visit site
That's a very patronising comment. :rolleyes: Just because you don't agree with our viewpoint doesn't mean you need to make comments like that. If you have read this thread properly (which that comment would indicate you haven't) you will see why there are very specific reasons why I, and others, choose to use hybrid spikes in the winter. In the other months we do tend to wear spikeless or softspikes.

Yes probably very patronising. Of course anyone can slip over on uneven ground. But reading the comments some people seem to be indicating they slip all over the place when swinging and walking - there's probably a root cause of this that has nothing to do with footwear.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
They are, and indeed I bought myself some, but they are not available for PINS fittings for my friend. And if you look on the Champ and Softspikes websites, they are no longer an option on there for any fitting. I would imagine what is on Amazon, ebay, etc. is just the remaining stock.
I guess there is not much call for them any more, i used to use the hybrids in the winter, but tbh soft spikes are just as good.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really it’s a personal thing.
It does depend on your course.
We have some astroturfing paths that are like a toboggan run in icy weather but you learn to avoid them.
But we do have several slopes where spikes are best in winter and wet weather.
But if it’s that bad the best footwear is your slippers and give it a miss.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Still got some shoes with metal spikes in, something I like about the crunch of them on cockleshell paths at the seaside with a bag of irons chattering over your shoulder. It's just... right.

And they are occasionally useful in winter.

Golfnut1957

Visit site

You are right. I've been watching the golf all day and those down the line shots do show the sole of the golfers shoe. While not exactly scientific I have carried out a survey while watching and 90% of the golfers whose shoe sole is displayed are using metal spikes, who would have thought.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
OK. I played today on a particularly wet course with my old metal spikes. No slips and, shock horror, no damage to the greens.
Tonight I replaced then with the new spikes and read the instructions on the box from Champ.

"WARNING: Plastic cleats do not provide the same traction as metal spikes (cleats). All provide different levels of traction depending on the surface or terrain conditions. Use of plastic cleats on hard surfaces, hilly, wet or muddy terrain, on fresh cut or dead grass, or any surface with questionable conditions may cause user to slip or fall which could result in serious injuries. Worn or debris-clogged cleats will provide less traction than clean, new cleats. Inspect frequently, clean clogged cleats, and replace worn cleats promptly"
IMG_20201121_205506418~2.jpgIMG_20201121_204759757~2.jpg

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
That warning is just a disclaimer to avoid getting sued.

Someone mentioned this earlier: if the ground is hard, a metal spike will pierce the surface and provide grip where a plastic cleat will not. If the ground is softer, a plastic cleat is likely to be as effective (or even better I would have thought, as it's creating more contact points).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Have clubs really put plastic turf matting into steep sloped paths or on the banks of raised teeing areas that mean they are a significant slip hazard when wet? (so that they might need the extra grip provided by metal over plastic spikes)

Its mad they wouldn’t just cut steps to allow players to enter/exit a raised teebox or use chunky gravel on paths & if there’s a wet/muddy area that not flat enough for the significant grip provided by plastic spikes/spikeless, maybe don’t walk up/down it

As for plastic or metal, by all means wear what you’re comfortable with but I can’t believe these kind of slip hazards are littering courses. Clubs should act

Robster59

Tour Rookie
That warning is just a disclaimer to avoid getting sued.

Someone mentioned this earlier: if the ground is hard, a metal spike will pierce the surface and provide grip where a plastic cleat will not. If the ground is softer, a plastic cleat is likely to be as effective (or even better I would have thought, as it's creating more contact points).
I'd agree that a lot of it is a disclaimer but the first sentence "WARNING: Plastic cleats do not provide the same traction as metal spikes (cleats)." is pretty clear.