The demise of metal spikes

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I've played the last few rounds all on hilly very wet courses in my spikeless shoes with no problems at all.

I'm not sure I would ever go back to having spiked shoes. Other than in very icy conditions when I wouldn't play anyway, I can't see a benifits to spikes anymore.

greenone

Visit site
Horses for courses, if its wet and soggy spikeless doesn't work for me as I swing fast so my feet start sliding around.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Got to say, I prefer metal spikes also, I have the Champ hybrids in my FJ's and I've been clunking around my home course waiting to be challenged about them but nobody is interested.
And that's the thing about the idea that they are banned at most clubs. Before our annual golf trip in September I checked on the websites of the clubs we were visiting, as I have at my own, for any notification of metal spikes being banned and found nothing. However at the last club we played I left the car park, climbed the hill to the first tee and found a sign saying no metal spikes, so I tip toed quietly to the tee and played anyway.
And that's the thing I still don't know if metal spikes are banned at any of the other clubs, I didn't/haven't asked.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got to say, I prefer metal spikes also, I have the Champ hybrids in my FJ's and I've been clunking around my home course waiting to be challenged about them but nobody is interested.
And that's the thing about the idea that they are banned at most clubs. Before our annual golf trip in September I checked on the websites of the clubs we were visiting, as I have at my own, for any notification of metal spikes being banned and found nothing. However at the last club we played I left the car park, climbed the hill to the first tee and found a sign saying no metal spikes, so I tip toed quietly to the tee and played anyway.
And that's the thing I still don't know if metal spikes are banned at any of the other clubs, I didn't/haven't asked.

We have a long walk from the pro shop to the first tee through the car park so hardly easy to be inconspicuous in spikes. No one has ever challenged me. As it happened I did check with the GM and a lot of our issues came from the former head greenkeeper (he who insisted on hedgehog wheels - since rescinded by the guy we have had in post for the last three years and the winter greens have never been better) and so they don't have any issue. The one thing I do focus on, is when walking on the green I pick my feet up and where possible stand a long way from the hole (fringe) so not to leave too many spike marks

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In winter I think they are a must for me .
It’s not overly hilly at my course but there are some very steep banks around the greens.
Saw a guy in spikeless last year and he just couldn’t stay still to play his shot ,he ended up declaring unplayable and dropped on a flatter lie.
Also as with the tee debate if you lose a plastic spike is it bad for the environment?
What’s worse hitting a mower blade .
I have never lost a metal spike FJ screw type ,but have lost lots of plastic cleats

Golfnut1957

Visit site
The other good thing about metal spikes is they only wreck the greens after youve played on them, so win win!
That's another thing. Metal spikes will at worst only produce a spike mark, which can now be dealt with prior to putting under the rules.
A couple of years ago I owned a pair of Adidas shoes which had these huge pods on the sole which held the spikes. I don't know if anyone can remember but there was a massive debate about this type of sole and this shoe in particular because of the damage they were causing to greens, espesially when they were wet. There were reports of a lot of clubs bannining them.
I remember at the time walking across soft greens and being concious of the trail of indentations I was leaving behind me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That's another thing. Metal spikes will at worst only produce a spike mark, which can now be dealt with prior to putting under the rules.
A couple of years ago I owned a pair of Adidas shoes which had these huge pods on the sole which held the spikes. I don't know if anyone can remember but there was a massive debate about this type of sole and this shoe in particular because of the damage they were causing to greens, espesially when they were wet. There were reports of a lot of clubs bannining them.
I remember at the time walking across soft greens and being concious of the trail of indentations I was leaving behind me.

I remember those Adidas shoes and the furore they caused. I don't get the issue with spikes and now we can repair spike marks on the green wonder if they'll start to increase in popularity again

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'd agree. Saying metal spikes damage greens was a great publicity coup by the makers of the soft spikes. You could say that metal spikes are helping to aerate the green. ;)
I remember it was the Adidas Adizero shoes that damaged the greens. I played with a member who had a pair and they left some horrendous marks on the green. Indeed, a number of clubs banned them.
ealing-890x395.jpg

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is not aimed specifically at the OP but I don't get why people want them. Is it just a need to be different? I use the ground alot. Infact I've shredded up a few bodytrack mats in my time. Yet I have never had the need for metal spikes. Never have I slipped walking up a steep hill either.

There's a reason they are hard to come by. They are redundant. A lad at my course likes them as he "thinks they give him a more stable base. He hasn't broke 95 yet!!!!

D

Deleted member 3432

This is not aimed specifically at the OP but I don't get why people want them. Is it just a need to be different? I use the ground alot. Infact I've shredded up a few bodytrack mats in my time. Yet I have never had the need for metal spikes. Never have I slipped walking up a steep hill either.

There's a reason they are hard to come by. They are redundant. A lad at my course likes them as he "thinks they give him a more stable base. He hasn't broke 95 yet!!!!

You tend to fall on your arse walking downhill.

Artificial turf paths walking down from some of our tees are lethal when the ground is frozen, metal spikes can save you a whole load of pain.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You tend to fall on your arse walking downhill.

Artificial turf paths walking down from some of our tees are lethal when the ground is frozen, metal spikes can save you a whole load of pain.
I've experienced all those with no issues. Perhaps I'm just like a cat. That or I have too much weight pressing down ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Certainly not a desire to be different. More bought from experience of slipping myself and seeing people fall. And I've seen more people fall going downhill than uphill, and known bad injuries as a result, from ligament strain to broken ankles. As I said in my original post (and I expected some people to say "no need", "not required" or "never had a problem"), I find a benefit and so do others at my course so I'm not alone in this.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

If there was any performance benefit at all. The pros would be wearing them.
How many did you see wearing any kind of spikes, soft or metal at a very wet Augusta or the Scottish open(?) (I know it's slightly different to the courses we play. But wet grass is wet grass).