The demise of metal spikes

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am sure there will be a good few pros that still wear metal spikes. I definitely think it makes a difference in the wet and mud and they are definitely easier to get the mud from and get a better purchase than trying to get them from clogged cleats

D

Deleted member 18588

I am sure there will be a good few pros that still wear metal spikes. I definitely think it makes a difference in the wet and mud and they are definitely easier to get the mud from and get a better purchase than trying to get them from clogged cleats

But the pro's aren't wearing them because they fear slipping on mud.

They never encounter such conditions constantly playing, as they do, on courses in immaculate conditions.

Look at Augusta last week. For all the talk of so called mudballs we never saw players or their trainer clad caddies slipping or sliding and there are some pretty fair gradients on that course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

They never encounter such conditions constantly playing, as they do, on courses in immaculate conditions.

Look at Augusta last week. For all the talk of so called mudballs we never saw players or their trainer clad caddies slipping or sliding and there are some pretty fair gradients on that course.

I meant it definitely makes a difference to ME in the wet and mud. Whether the pro decides to use soft spike or metal spikes makes no odds to me. My point is simple. In the winter when it gets wet and muddy I prefer a metal spike.

D

Deleted member 18588

I meant it definitely makes a difference to ME in the wet and mud. Whether the pro decides to use soft spike or metal spikes makes no odds to me. My point is simple. In the winter when it gets wet and muddy I prefer a metal spike.
Fine that's your choice and you are free to make it but why cite the use of these spikes by the pro's .

It's irrelevant.

D

Deleted member 18588

Posts #41 and #42. Not just me. I was simply mentioning the fact that spikes are still prevalent on tour as well. Aside from that it's called a forum and about opinion and thoughts. I'm done
So no answer to my question about the relevance, or otherwise, of their use by Tour pro's.

No surprise really.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wore spikes for 9 holes a few years ago in winter.

I was home for a few days so wore my dads old shoes. The mess I made of the greens was embarrassing.

Out of respect for everyone else I wouldn't dream of wearing them again.

greenone

Visit site

The course be immaculate, they still play in/after pissing rain where the ground inevitably gets very soft. That's when metal spikes come in to their own if you swing with decent speed.

D

Deleted member 18588

The course be immaculate, they still play in/after pissing rain where the ground inevitably gets very soft. That's when metal spikes come in to their own if you swing with decent speed.
And yet so many of them now use soft spikes or even spikeless.

But then perhaps they don't swing at forum speeds.

I accept that some may find that they offer them greater confidence but to cite the use of metal spikes by some pro's as justification for their choice is, in my opinion, irrelevant.

I doubt that many if any on here have swing speeds comparable to Tour players.

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And yet so many of them now use soft spikes or even spikeless.

But then perhaps they don't swing at forum speeds.

I accept that some may find that they offer them greater confidence but to cite the use of metal spikes by some pro's as justification for their choice is, in my opinion, irrelevant.

I doubt that many if any on here have swing speeds comparable to Tour players.
I never cited pros use as my own decision to wear them. Suggest you re-read my posts again.

No idea why you have such a bee in your bonnet over the whole subject and whether pros wear them, people wear them because the pros wear them or simply because they prefer the feeling of stability they feel with spikes over cleats in the wet and the mud

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Now, on this one I know that everyone has personal opinions on this but in the winter I like to wear hybrid metal spikes. Our course is pretty hilly with a fair number of steep slopes so I, and a few of my friends, still prefer the security of metal spikes. Also better for those days when the ground is hard.
Historically I always used to buy the Champ Pro-Stinger and I have a pair of dryjoys with the fast-twist fitting which I use purely for the winter. I'd say it's time to change them now and, thankfully, I can still buy a set for them.
But..... looking at the websites for Softspikes, Champ, Masters, nobody is making the hybrid spikes anymore and I think there is only one company still making pure metal spikes. And of those that are available, none seem to be available for the latest fittings such as PINS. One of my friends has a pair of Skechers and was looking for metal or hybrid spikes for them but nobody that we can find makes them.
I can understand the reason why they're not made anymore, as the demand I guess just isn't there. Especially with so many clubs banning metal spikes. But it's a shame that by the time I come to try to source my next set of hybrid or metal spikes that they probably won't be available.
They are all over Amazon still.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have a couple of old boys that wear them during the winter and one in our swindle used to - you can tell they are being worn by the marks on the green

They don’t add any extra grip on soft surfaces and soft spikes will be better - but on hard surfaces they will add a bit more by being able to penetrate the surface easier.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
On wet muddy parkland courses with poor drainage I never found metal spikes any better than soft spikes. With the better shoe which includes more than just soft spikes in the way of grip I personally have found newer soft spike shoes better.

Golfnut1957

Visit site

I think you'll find that there are indeed a fair few Pro's who use metal spikes as evidenced by the cluncking noise they make whenever they walk on a cart path. You won't normally hear them because they are generally wlking on grass, and you don't normally see them because sports broadcasters rarely show the soles of anyones feet.
As for why some Pro's use metal spikes while some uses soft spikes or even go spikeless, who knows. Probaly for the same reason people on here are using them, because we can.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
We have a couple of old boys that wear them during the winter and one in our swindle used to - you can tell they are being worn by the marks on the green

They don’t add any extra grip on soft surfaces and soft spikes will be better - but on hard surfaces they will add a bit more by being able to penetrate the surface easier.

Agree, you can spot marks made by metal spikes straight away. Tbf the next worse of recent shoes are the spikeless Ecco's... The damage they do sticks out like a sore thumb too.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
As per my OP, I don't use pure metal spikes. I use hybrid golf spikes like the Pro Stinger.
148294-1.jpg

I knew we would have the debate about whether they work or not and in some peoples opinions they don't, in my opinion I see a benefit. The mix of metal and plastic gives, again in my opinion, a dual benefit in the variable ground conditions I get on my course in the winter. On some courses, in different areas they may well not be necessary. Obviously there isn't the demand as otherwise you would still see the manufacturers making them. I accept that there will come a time when I will not be able to get them. Just at the moment these are my preferred winter grip of choice.