A sound not often heard at the golf club these days.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The "click-clack" of metal spikes on the car park. Mine. I have a pair of shoes with metal spikes that I use when the course is icy and I had them on yesterday. As I was walking back to the clubhouse after putting my club in the car, I was suddenly aware that a sound I used to hear a lot when I started playing golf is one that is almost never heard these days.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I also have a pair for icy conditions. Amazing how loud they sound walking through the car par. I assume this is because we aren't use to the sound anymore. And yes, I have checked with the club and we are allowed to use them

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some pro a while a back told a story that when they heard that noise they knew Tiger was arriving, because he was the only pro who still wore metal spikes. Not sure if that's still the case now though. I don't think I've owned a pair with metal spikes since my very first pair of golf shoes when I was 14/15.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've got some white Stylo Matchmakers. Hardly used and in my size. They were in a bag of 1980s clubs I bought in 2021.
Not used them for play yet. I shall ask our head greenkeeper for permission later this year.

The walk from the 9th green to the 10th tee goes right along the paved area in front of the clubhouse and the back of the 18th green. Superb place to treat everyone to that old sound.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive a pair of FJ black and white wingtips with metal spikes in for when i play Hickory in full rig out.

i did used to use another pair with metal spikes a couple of years ago, but fount the metal spikes froze up all the time and collected ice. a fried suggested just wearing spike less when its icy and have done ever since. far easier and safer just in frozen conditions

Robster59

Tour Rookie

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a memory from a few years ago.

Finally managed to catch up with pair in front of us as they left the 8th tee

I asked him " Would you mind repairing the spike marks around the hole before leaving the green"

came the reply "I have not seen any"

"They are coming from you" I said very politely, looking down at a pair Adidas Cruiser shoes on his feet.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I have a memory from a few years ago.

Finally managed to catch up with pair in front of us as they left the 8th tee

I asked him " Would you mind repairing the spike marks around the hole before leaving the green"

came the reply "I have not seen any"

"They are coming from you" I said very politely, looking down at a pair Adidas Cruiser shoes on his feet.
Where they the ones that made fearful dents on the green? I remember following a member around the course who had a pair and the dents they left where horrendous.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where they the ones that made fearful dents on the green? I remember following a member around the course who had a pair and the dents they left where horrendous.
No they were the Adidas Zero. They were banned at a lot of clubs. I had a pair, used for one round only and stopped wearing them as soon as I saw the damage they caused

The Cruiser was a great big thick soled all rubber waterproof shoe, lots of them to be seen around in 80s. It was the first time I had seen a pair still in use in the 2000s.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've got a pair, generally where them for hickory and classic club events, but always check with the Pro-Shop that they're acceptable.

Visit site
Some pro a while a back told a story that when they heard that noise they knew Tiger was arriving, because he was the only pro who still wore metal spikes. Not sure if that's still the case now though. I don't think I've owned a pair with metal spikes since my very first pair of golf shoes when I was 14/15.

I believe I’ve heard that Miguel Angel Jimenez used (or still uses) metal spikes and Monty hated playing with him or behind him because of the spike marks he’d leave all over the greens!

D

Deleted member 1147

Before reading that his was about spiked shoes, I assume this thread would be about Pros shouting "FORE" or members saying "sorry we've been holding you up, please play through".
I think they are more rare than metal spike unfortunately

D

Deleted member 1147

If I hear that Crow and Voyager are playing in modern shoes, I may have to suspend my Forum Membership!🤣🤣
Imagine Crow in Puma hightops, jogging bottom trousers, collarless tee-shirt, hoodie and wide peaked baseball cap o_Oo_Oo_O

Grizzly

Visit site
I also have a pair for icy conditions. Amazing how loud they sound walking through the car par. I assume this is because we aren't use to the sound anymore. And yes, I have checked with the club and we are allowed to use them

You think that sounds loud - last night I heard the clatter of 22 pairs of rugby blades (a kind of lego block shaped spike) as the training pitch is across the car park from the changing rooms. Absolute racket!