Small/Medium SUV/Crossover

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My daughter and her husband are looking for a new car, and they seem to be leaning towards the SUV/Crossover style.
Their budget is circa £12K max, and they have asked me for advice.
I've had a look around and there seem to be a few options, but I would appreciate anyone's advice and suggestions.
They haven't said anything about mileage or age, but I am imagining something like max 3 years old and max 25K miles.
Also, obviously with the change in demand, electric and hybrid are not as available in that age and, I imagine, in quite high demand.
If they went petrol or diesel, will the resale value drop like a stone? What will the batteries be like in an older hybrid?
I've done some research, but there's a lot of experience on here, so I'm looking to pick people's brains.
So, open to the forum. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I agree the Qashqai is worth a look. I do a bit of trade plating and have driven a broad cross section of vehicles including a number of Qashqais of the age you’re talking about - solid cars, nice drive, and it should be possible to pick one up for £12k or less with reasonable mileage.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The wife had a Ssangyong Tivoli for a couple of years, the fully loaded diesel 4x4 with auto box. As a totally capable car of doing almost anything, it was great. It also had loads of kit, a good driving position, one of the best diesel engines we have had (and Ive had a few) and she loved it. The only bummer was the cost of brake pads and discs as there weren't many (if any) third party suppliers of them back when she had it, so we chopped it in for a hybrid Yaris. She still bemoans letting ti go, as the slightly higher seating position was excellent without being bus top deck like. It was also a weighty car, and felt so robust and solid.
I know they aren't a fashionable brand, but it surprised us.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The wife had a Ssangyong Tivoli for a couple of years, the fully loaded diesel 4x4 with auto box. As a totally capable car of doing almost anything, it was great. It also had loads of kit, a good driving position, one of the best diesel engines we have had (and Ive had a few) and she loved it. The only bummer was the cost of brake pads and discs as there weren't many (if any) third party suppliers of them back when she had it, so we chopped it in for a hybrid Yaris. She still bemoans letting ti go, as the slightly higher seating position was excellent without being bus top deck like. It was also a weighty car, and felt so robust and solid.
I know they aren't a fashionable brand, but it surprised us.
I had a petrol one from new. Had it for five years and only got rid because of the cost of the parts. £96 for a set of front pads. Lots of other makes to chose from that will be cheaper to run.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have a look at the Seat Ateca, medium suv. A petrol not diesel.
One of my favourite Suv's to drive, well equipped and comfortable.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Check out Skoda options. Which one would suit I'm not sure, they have a few versions now, Karoq, Kodiaq from memory.

Both petrol and diesel versions are tried and tested.
Was going to suggest Skoda myself - pretty well equiped and decently reliable. The smallest of their SUVs is the Kamiq and you might just about get a 2019 or 2020 one for the budget. Karoq is next up in size, then Kodiaq the largest - but I doubt they'll come in at that budget level.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bought an 18 plate Kia Stonic 1st Edition for that sort of money recently (you could get the lower spec on a 19 plate), been very impressed so far, drives very well, has decent room in the front inside (back seats may be a little small) and boot is good. Able to get top end spec at that sort of price depending on what creature comforts you want. And still has 4 years of warranty left too

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I’ve got a Peugeot 2008 and Smiffy will be along sometime to tell you what a good car they are?

They are a good car, but a lot of people would look at them and say they aren't an SUV. The new one definitely is, but the old one was only ever marketed as a "Crossover".
I personally love them. I always have one as my company car of choice as they are practical, decent to drive and very economical. They are pretty reliable too.....
Available as petrol or diesel, with three petrol engine choices. All the same 1.2 three cylinder, but you have 82PS, 110 and 130 to choose from.
My personal choice would be the 130 as this comes standard with a 6 speed gearbox and grip control (pseudo 4WD).
They all come fairly well equipped, but the GT Line comes standard with Sat Nav, panoramic roof and colour reversing camera as well as rear sensors. The special edition Allure Premium also has these features and is worth hunting down.
Get a pre April 1st 2017 one and you'll benefit from 30 quid a year tax too!!
So to sum up, a 1.2 130PS GT Line or Allure Premium is the one to go for. A lot of car for the money, but again, if they are hung up on SUV styling, it's not the car for them.
Just for reference, this is the only one we have in stock at the moment in the price range you are looking at.....although this particular one is only the 82PS engine. But it will give you an idea
https://www.yeomans.co.uk/peugeot/u...ot-2008-1.2-pure-tech-allure-premium-s-s-5dr/

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was going to suggest Skoda myself - pretty well equiped and decently reliable. The smallest of their SUVs is the Kamiq and you might just about get a 2019 or 2020 one for the budget. Karoq is next up in size, then Kodiaq the largest - but I doubt they'll come in at that budget level.
I knew I was missing one, couldn't remember it. Agree with what you say ?. I'd actually typed out a Yeti but then saw they wanted a car under 3 years. If they could stretch that then a Yeti is still a good choice.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Wife has a 2 litre Mazda CX -3. It looks lovely both inside and out. Looks don’t convert to practicality though. Nightmare with children’s seat in the back when buckling up. The sat nav is poor. Sound system poor, The power of the engine poor. A tiny fuel tank. Boot space is small. She loves it. Me I would avoid it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best small SUV in terms of storage hands down is a honda hrv

The boot is stupidly big, the magic seats in the back (where the seat folds up as well as down is great for say putting the dog in the footwell, we used to have eldest in her car seat, then dog in the other footwell)

I'd still have it now if we didn't have the twins but it was such a good car the mother in law now owns it