Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
We are going for a path around the whole course and the bound resin type were considered but declared as too expensive so just went with crushed gravel that is rolled into the surface, yours look much better than ours!

We are doing a mix of the shredded tyre and resin on the slopes and then this type 2 stuff on the flats , both do look good

It is stupidly expensive for the shredded tyre resin stuff but they are great on our paths that have some bad slopes

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Went to the practice area this morning, 50 range balls, 50 at short game area and about same number of putts… pretty sure I could rock up to the Dunhill and be in with a shout!

All means that for tomorrows comp I’ll play like:
A) Thor wielding his wotsit
B) A Rangers striker
C) GM Features Editor (& stuff it on next fairway) ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went to the practice area this morning, 50 range balls, 50 at short game area and about same number of putts… pretty sure I could rock up to the Dunhill and be in with a shout!

All means that for tomorrows comp I’ll play like:
A) Thor wielding his wotsit
B) A Rangers striker
C) GM Features Editor (& stuff it on next fairway) ;)
Stick you down for a net 83 then

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It is stupidly expensive for the shredded tyre resin stuff but they are great on our paths that have some bad slopes
It's all down to the prep work done underneath. I've seen this stuff on sloping paths where it has slipped a bit and split. Check the guarantee ;)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Watching the biggest nob in the world Piers Morgan, totally duff a shot on camera at the Dunhill Links. Then the commentary crew having to apologise for language multiple times in the space of a minute after Robert McIntyre showed his disbelief with missing a putt.

Also for Irritations in golf but I can't be arsed to do a separate post - anyone who lets Piers Moron on camera in the first place.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The club learned today of the passing of one of our club members, a great lad from the NE in his 50s/early 60s. Mike was a seriously competitive motor cyclist but as a result of illness or accident some years ago he lost his lower left leg and suffered other injuries that seem to have caused ongoing issues. A stalwart of our Saturday rollup, Mike was always positive about things; was funny and frank..not taking any nonsense, saying it how it is, and getting on with enjoying his golf and friendships in the club despite his prosthetic and other issues. He was great company and will be very sadly and sorely missed by all who knew and played golf with him.

How Mike was regarded can be seen by the evident shock and deep sadness reflected in all the posts on our rollup WhatsApp group given the news, but not just sad - plenty of amusement and loads of gratitude by all as we knew him so well.

And that width and depth of feeling is what gladdens my heart this sad morning - a feeling that surely demonstrates what being an active member of a golf club can bring…and especially when being a regular in a rollup such as our Saturday one…a special fellowship and fraternity builds up across many members that you will struggle to replicate if what you do is just turn up and play in the same group of two or three more of your mates.

Hopefully this news will given the club pause for reflection on the value of our Saturday roll up to the club and the membership - and that this loss helps our current ongoing struggle to keep the rollup alive as the club and and some other members seek to have it scrapped.

Thanks Mike…a brilliant guy…we’ll miss you hugely.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to a driving range which has always been pretty poor, but is the only one nearby that's covered (it was raining). To my surprise, they have installed Trackman in all the bays since I was last there. Price up to £7.50 for 50 balls, but I'm sure he actually gave me about 65 in the end! Not too bad.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Went to a driving range which has always been pretty poor, but is the only one nearby that's covered (it was raining). To my surprise, they have installed Trackman in all the bays since I was last there. Price up to £7.50 for 50 balls, but I'm sure he actually gave me about 65 in the end! Not too bad.
That's pretty good value, the range I sometimes go to in MK is £5 for 25 balls and there's no trackman, it's an absolute rip off.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How did you find Trackman. A local range has it and I like it although the prices have also gone up madly

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How did you find Trackman. A local range has it and I like it although the prices have also gone up madly
I enjoy it as it keeps practice a bit more interesting - e.g. the ability to play a course via the screen is nice. I'm not always sure how accurate the distances are though. Seems to vary from one location to another.