Golf handicap re sabbatical from golf club?

Rich521

Visit site
Hi ,

hopefully someone can help me with this predicament.I have taken a year out from my golf club to watch my son compete at quite a high level of athletics .I was informed that my handicap would be protected for the 1st year ,however ,it may be the case that I have to take a 2nd year out .Would I then lose my handicap and have to go through the 3 card route to get it back.
If this was the case then I would just rejoin my golf club even if I wasn’t able to play just to keep my handicap.Any advice would be really helpful , thanks .

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once you have passed the twelve month point, you will have to submit 3 cards but your previous handicap will be taken into account together with the three cards. It would be highly likely that you will be allocated a handicap the same as or pretty close to your old handicap - or you might shoot the lights out and get a lower handicap.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
it will be the three card route for you if you are going to take another year out .
thems the rules unfortunately.
....but he doesn't "lose" his handicap of course, it just becomes 'non-competition' and he needs it re-activated after handing in three more cards. As rosecott says, highly unlikely his handicap will change.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
....but he doesn't "lose" his handicap of course, it just becomes 'non-competition' and he needs it re-activated after handing in three more cards. As rosecott says, highly unlikely his handicap will change.

Not so. As soon as he relinquishes his membership, he no longer has a handicap.

Rich521

Visit site
Thanks for all you’re replies , seems rejoining my golf club is the only solution even if I will hardly play .

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I concur with Rosecott you can only have a handicap if you are a member of an affiliated club. If you leave the club you lose the handicap immediately.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
and a month later i'm off 18 when currently playing of 6 ?

sure it works that way these days? I thought it just sat there waiting for you to restart, join a new club and your old CDH fires back into life? and after 3 cards your active again.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I concur with Rosecott you can only have a handicap if you are a member of an affiliated club. If you leave the club you lose the handicap immediately.

Of course you do, nobody is saying otherwise, but when you rejoin your lifetime ID is still there, and you have to hand in three cards to re-activate your handicap. Generally that means you'll be off the same figure you were before unless you hand in lower scores to give you a lower handicap.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m just going to tell them I used to play off 12 and go from there.

Been 3 years since I held an active handicap but I shouldn’t be too far off that and would feel like a cheat if I went back to 17 or even 15 or higher.

14 or lower would be acceptable but I would expect to lower that fairly quickly back to 12 or under.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
https://www.handicapmaster.org/handicaps/Unified_Handicapping_System_Page1.php

[h=3]Can I lose my Handicap once I have been given one?[/h]A Handicap is lost at the time you cease to be a member of an affiliated club. Handicaps can be suspended by the club when there has been a breach of the rules.
agaaaaaain that's not the argument.

You never lose your CDH number (I mispoke earlier when I said handicap, I meant CDH, my bad), so when you rejoin a club you start from where you left off and put in three cards to re-activate your competition handicap

Last edited:

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
http://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/secretaries-quick-guide.pdf

Sorry

The CDH Number would be archived by the previous the club - once the player re-joins or joins another club (s)he must enter 3 cards to re-activate the handicap. The club would re-enter the players details from the CONGU database. The handicap would then be review by the club over the next few months etc and then again at annual review.

but I agree the CDH number is never lost.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst the CDH number might not be lost. England golf have found that quite a lot of players have more than one.

Are they banned for life? 😱 I'd be happy to start again next year off 12 again. I guess its not done on national insurance numbers 😀

I'm calling watchdog

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why is it called lifetime id number then? Thought the system was designed to stop people starting again.

Lifetime ID. The club has to take his previous handicap record into account.

agaaaaaain that's not the argument.

You never lose your CDH number (I mispoke earlier when I said handicap, I meant CDH, my bad), so when you rejoin a club you start from where you left off and put in three cards to re-activate your competition handicap

The lifetime CDH number is a bit of a misnomer. I asked our handicap software provider the question some time ago as to what happens when a player takes a long time out of membership and then returns. In such circumstances, CDH retains the CDH number for around 2 years before binning it. So, if you take 3 years out of membership and then decide to re-join your previous club, you will get a new CDH number when you submit 3 cards for handicap. The club should still take any previously held handicap into account.