Distance from your home course

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
By far so far the furthest distance. Do you play often? How long have you been doing that travel to the club?
My current club has something that is not offered by anything closer: annual fees of only £50 per year. Naturally I also have to pay green fees each time I play there, but it means I can play opens without feeling like I'm wasting money on a full membership somewhere. I love the variety and value that opens offer, so I play lots of them - seventeen so far this year with more in the diary. I played my home course six times last winter and expect to do something similar this winter.

mister v

Visit site
6.1 miles and 13mins drive (4 miles on dual carridgeway) its a doddle of a drive and i pass it on the way to/from work which is such a bonus

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My current club has something that is not offered by anything closer: annual fees of only £50 per year. Naturally I also have to pay green fees each time I play there, but it means I can play opens without feeling like I'm wasting money on a full membership somewhere. I love the variety and value that opens offer, so I play lots of them - seventeen so far this year with more in the diary. I played my home course six times last winter and expect to do something similar this winter.
I know a few people who have talked about doing something similar but have never taken that step and done it. I certainly get it and I suspect something similar would suit me better than my current full membership.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I know a few people who have talked about doing something similar but have never taken that step and done it. I certainly get it and I suspect something similar would suit me better than my current full membership.
I'm enjoying the variety but there are some downsides. It takes some planning to make sure I've got a game every weekend. Most opens are pairs/team events so you need a pool of friends who will be responsive to the invitations. To get full access you need to be able to play comp rounds at your club as well, many opens insist on some comp rounds on your record; so it's no good having a 'home' club at the other end of the country. If I put in 6-10 comp cards each winter (easily do-able at my club) then that will satisfy most entry requirements. I submit all my social golf (singles) as GP rounds too, so I always have plenty of scores on my record. It's good fun and, for me, is preferable to playing the same course every week.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
According to Google Maps...

6 miles or 18 minutes to my club.
1.1 miles or 4 minutes to the youth's current home club - however, we are hopefully in the process of getting him joined at Huddersfield as well which is also 6 miles away, this will become his home club if he's accepted for membership.

Anybody that's familiar with Huddersfield (or Fixby as it's known), will probably have seen the houses behind the 7th tee - my uncle used to live in one of them, for a very acceptable monthly rent charge.

He wasn't a golfer, but it was idyllic if you're a fan of the game.

View attachment 54865
I bet he heard a few F bombs living there 🤣

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I bet he heard a few F bombs living there 🤣

Oh aye. It's amazing how many bad golf swings you can see on a Sunday morning while you're watching out of the bedroom window right behind a tee box... 🤣

DP World tour Q school is there this week, it would have been a prime viewing spot if old Jim hadn't have died of a heart attack back in 1994.....

Mandofred

Visit site
Currently 13.6 miles.....which is usually about 25 min. The good news is we are moving to another house very soon and that will cut the drive all the way to 13.4 miles.....that should save me close to 30 seconds!!

I'm still thinking about adding the closer golf course again this next year which is 2.2 miles, about 6 min and has a small practice area. I haven't been playing much the last couple of months, partially because the 25 min drive currently gets a bit of a drag. The further course is probably the best in my area for handling winter/wet weather......which is most of the year.

sunshine

Visit site
Here's my house, just by the 17th green. Usually I walk to the clubhouse from the bottom of the garden and get my chauffeur to drive my clubs round to the first tee.

1725647345036.png