Practise Areas at Clubs

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I can't remember who's who but aren't some of you guys with 'short'ish fields/pick up own balls', paying well into 4 figure subs?

Doesn't seem quite right somehow

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I forgot to mention that we've just had new practice/warm up nets built..
3 mats, new nets etc etc....
All very nice......Still don't use 'em though..:LOL:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
We have a field at that runs adjacent to our 17th and is a kind of J shape. The two furthest corners are about 350 yards I'd guess - bring your own balls kind of job.

It has about 4 temp style greens cut into it and a separate car park for about 4 or 5 cars.

On the rare occasions I get to the club with time to warm up I'll sometimes go down and start in the carpark corner and hit about 10 balls wedge distance, then 7 iron to the top of the hill, and finish on long irons/hybrid back down to the bottom corner where the car park is.

You can access it from the course but it means walking up the 18th which is a trek from the clubhouse but the pro will generally just lend you a buggy for 20 mins if you tell him you're heading there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We use to have to use our own balls but there were increasing issues with balls going normal distances and so more instances of going into the adjacent garden. Also we had to go and pick them up and I think the club got nervous from a H&S perspective although I never heard of anyone getting hit and most would stop or go to wedges. Now we have range balls so reduced length so no good for working on exact distances

Albo

Visit site
I can't remember who's who but aren't some of you guys with 'short'ish fields/pick up own balls', paying well into 4 figure subs?

Doesn't seem quite right somehow
I’m certainly one of those, into 4 figures, short bad area that is soon disappearing.
The joys of Edinburgh golf

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We’ve got a full length driving range that uses Titliest balls, a large putting green, a chipping green and bunkers and a small area with 3 rough holes cut.

If the club was a bit closer I would make better use of it.

The closest driving range to me has balls that don’t look like they have been replaced for decades and it’s comical to watch how they fly.IMG_6887.jpeg

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was just lamenting again about how there's no driving range near me, and started thinking about the practise area at my club.

There's a 200-ish yard practise area at my club which is essentially a range, but you'd presumably have to bring your own practise balls and then have to collect them at the end. My club is only 5 minutes drive away so would be convenient for a mid-week practise when I'm working from home, but I just cannot picture myself wandering around the practise area afterwards picking up 30 odd practise balls to take them home again. Does anyone actually do this?? I can't recall that I've ever seen someone just practising down there at my club - if people are there they're usually having a lesson with the pro I think.

The only time I used it I took about 6 balls out and practised my pitching to the nearest flag - I really can't imagine smashing 30 full shots in all directions and then picking them all up afterwards. :LOL:
We have a free-range range. Long enough for most people to hit driver. It works just fine. People just leave their old balls on the range, when you get there, just wander up with a tube and collect 20. It's quite a useful discipline to have a break every now and then. I don't come across many (any) members who'd like the facility upgraded.

There's one weird old bugger with a buggy who harvests balls every now and then and has a pile of them in a basket on the back of it.

The driveway from the road entrance to the clubhouse runs along one side, so need to be careful with slices and shanks...

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Having to collect your own balls should focus the mind on decreasing your dispersion 😉

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like using my own balls when practicing.
especially short game practice.
I practice with the same balls I play with so I get used to how they spin and react.

Long game I just use any balls as long as there a decent ball.
But don’t practice long game so much now.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Makes me feel blessed! I have 4 driving ranges within 15mins of me. My club has a top tracer range, a 50-75yrd outside short game area you have to book, 2 practices greens and a small chipping and bunker area.

however, I know a couple of clubs a little too far away that have a range and much better bunker and chipping area. Also one that is a field but they provide free balls and they collect them.

Albo

Visit site
I am on the wait list for a course which has a full grass driving range where they provide and collect the balls, full short game area and, bunker, putting green as well as a 6 hole par 3 course. The problem is it’s 30 or so mins away from the house rather than the current 7 mins to the one with rubbish practice area

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like using my own balls when practicing.
especially short game practice.
I practice with the same balls I play with so I get used to how they spin and react.

Long game I just use any balls as long as there a decent ball.
But don’t practice long game so much now.
I am able to use my own balls on the chipping area which is basically the bottom end of the putting ground so I think for one of the most important parts of the game this is crucial

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a 8 bay range with Top Tracer which is being extended to add another 4 bays, it also has a grass tee area to the side which can be used when the club allow. They try to restrict use to make sure it stays in good nick. We have a large practice putting green which you can also chip form the fringes. There is a dedicated chipping green with bunkers but it is up a short sharp hill so people don't tend to use it much. It is also in the firing range of a hooked tee shot from the 5th so that also puts people off a bit. Given my bunker shots, maybe I should make the effort to walk up the hill

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My last club had perfect practice facilities. First tee one end of the car park, putting green next to it, proper driving range the other side of the car park and a short game area the other side, so everything within 50 yards of the first tee. Unfortunately it closed down.

Current club has a putting green and net next to the first tee. Also has a big practice ground, and when I first joined I was excited to use it, promising I’d be down there before every round, make time in the week to practice as well. Even bought myself a nice ball bag 😝 to keep the practice balls in.

In reality, it’s 400-500 yards away from the first tee, downhill so a big treck down and back. The thought of walking down there and then having to go and pick my own balls up has meant I’ve been once!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
practice area.jpg

I stopped using the old practice area in the 1990s. Never used the new one.
You have to walk the length of the first hole carrying your own balls to use it. It is merely a field that we have use of - we don't own it.
I feel sorry for the pros. They would make more money from lessons if we had an up-to-date practice area. Players would benefit more from those lessons.
A lot of our members go elsewhere for practice and lessons.
I don't practice and never had a lesson, but I do feel for others and what is, or would be, best for them.

Mandofred

Visit site
View attachment 51611

I stopped using the old practice area in the 1990s. Never used the new one.
You have to walk the length of the first hole carrying your own balls to use it. It is merely a field that we have use of - we don't own it.
I feel sorry for the pros. They would make more money from lessons if we had an up-to-date practice area. Players would benefit more from those lessons.
A lot of our members go elsewhere for practice and lessons.
I don't practice and never had a lesson, but I do feel for others and what is, or would be, best for them.
This would be fine with me. Better yet if I didn't have to share it with anybody else because they couldn't be bothered to walk a little ways.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are fortunate with our practice facilities. Length wise I can see the 250yd markers are still a good yardage from the bottom. As the club provides unlimited range balls from a dispenser on the range free to members (and the club gathers them in twice a week) we’d be advised of any yardage limit, but as there isn't one I assume the range can accommodate most members drives. Diagonally the range will accommodate the longest drives.

About three years ago we built 4 teeing grounds across the top of the range - three of the grounds have six mats across, with plenty of grass area on the tee grounds in front of the mats for when we permit practice off grass (main comps only). The fourth teeing ground has two mats, it’s covered and is primarily used by the pros for lessons. But it’s there for us to use if we want to practice in the rain and it’s not being used.

Plus we have a separate large chipping/pitch area, that has a surface maintained to the same standard as our greens. And to one side of it we have two practice bunkers.