Golf handicap re sabbatical from golf club?

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's entirely consistent with the obvious inference from that document!

Has player had a hañdicapnfrom club post 2011 -> if you couldn't find them on the system allocate them a new one...

2011 was when the CDH came in. There's no inference, it's clearly stated it's a lifetime ID, there's nothing about the software providers deleting lifetime IDs when they feel like it in any document I have read about the CDH numbers.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
2011 was when the CDH came in. There's no inference, it's clearly stated it's a lifetime ID, there's nothing about the software providers deleting lifetime IDs when they feel like it in any document I have read about the CDH numbers.

Well, a flow chart that tells you to allocate a new CDH number to a player who should already have one that you can't find, contains such an inference to me.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well, a flow chart that tells you to allocate a new CDH number to a player who should already have one that you can't find, contains such an inference to me.

Has the member previously been a member of an affiliated club since 2011?

If they do not know their ID
number or are unsure if they
have had one,
please search the
CDH using the Club Login
provided by the SGU to locate the
players Scottish Golf ID Number

Being a member of a club does not equal having a handicap. Our club has about 250 men, only around 70 have a handicap. There is no inference in that flow chart about creating a new (second) CDH number, it is implicit that you should have only one and it's lifetime.

A Scottish Golf ID Number is a unique individual lifetime ID. Each golfer will
only have one ID that remains with them for their golfing career, applicable at all golf clubs of
which they are or become a member.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

It's CDH who do the deleting, not the software provider.

When a player gives up his membership, he still appears on CDH as "placeholder not set" and shows the name of his previous club. If he doesn't re-join his club or join another club, his entry remains as that until some time after 2 years or so, at which point it disappears from CDH.

This is what happens on the England Golf CDH. I would have thought that the SGU CDH followed the same path but the SGU may have a different approach.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's CDH who do the deleting, not the software provider.

When a player gives up his membership, he still appears on CDH as "placeholder not set" and shows the name of his previous club. If he doesn't re-join his club or join another club, his entry remains as that until some time after 2 years or so, at which point it disappears from CDH.

This is what happens on the England Golf CDH. I would have thought that the SGU CDH followed the same path but the SGU may have a different approach.

I don't know then rosecott, certainly the implication on the pages linked is you're always there and have a single lifetime ID, but equally there's no reference to someone being without a club though at any point which would follow your example and coming back to golf after a sabbatical.

Think the answer here is mibbees aye, mibbees no :clap:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know then rosecott, certainly the implication on the pages linked is you're always there and have a single lifetime ID, but equally there's no reference to someone being without a club though at any point which would follow your example and coming back to golf after a sabbatical.

Think the answer here is mibbees aye, mibbees no :clap:

If you stay live in the system the intention is that you will now retain a single lifetime CDH reference .
I do not believe the system has been written on the basis that once allocated a number will never be allocated to anyone else, ever.

Which leaves the question of exactly what precise circumstances lead to a number previously allocated becoming available for a new allocation....which will probably (guessing from a logical rather than informed perspective) involve total period relating to ceased membership and a system need to reuse numbers (this letter being close to how long is a piece of string!). With seeing the actual code written to manage things ... 🤐

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
CDH numbers are ten digits Duncan, I'd doubt they'll ever need re-issuing.

Would you care to be against the premise that someone has programmed rules around the use of some of them such that they don't have 9,999,999,999 available?

However, I do accept the general principle that they should be able to operate the system on a true lifetime allocation very easily!